Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie at Westminister

Options
  • 15-05-2007 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭

I'm no fan of Bertie but his speech so far has been very impressive and a good performance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senator

And some of it is almost intelligible English !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Very good. Great to hear a few words 'as Gaelige' thrown in there.

Bertie's NI record is fantastic - I really hope FF get elected again.

Can't imagine Enda K having a good relationship with big Ian.

Fergus Finlay (RTE) giving out about John Hume not being mentioned - rightly so. He was one of the most important figures in Peace Process.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Fergus Finlay (RTE) giving out about John Hume not being mentioned - rightly so. He was one of the most important figures in Peace Process.

S[/QUOTE] and Adams wasnt mentioned either,despite what one may think of him there would be no process without him.

Notice Bertie wasn't his gift grub type caricature and rather more statesman like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

slumped wrote:
    Bertie's NI record is fantastic - I really hope FF get elected again.
    I keep hearing this, that Fianna Fáil did such great work in Northern Ireland. Can anybody point to anything they actually did? I know about the great work that was done by, and between, Sinn Féin and the DUP, by the Northern Irish politicians. All I've seen from Bertie is a couple of photo-shoots

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Bertie convinced the Unionists that the Republic has no strategic, economic or political interest in the North - just as a previous Prime Minister convinced Sinn Féin.

Nobody wants the North. On that we ALL agree. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

In the words of WB Yeats - Horseman, Pass By!

His gaeilge was litir ;-)

Blair didnt do the decent thing and resign (over Iraq), but at least curtailed his term to 10 years. Bertie should have done likewise imo.

redspider

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Senator wrote:
    Bertie convinced the Unionists that the Republic has no strategic, economic or political interest in the North

To be fair, this has been happening a lot longer than Bertie's reign, but he's picking up the reward on behalf of all those who put in the ground work...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dyflin wrote:
    To be fair, this has been happening a lot longer than Bertie's reign, but he's picking up the reward on behalf of all those who put in the ground work...

He did acknowledge that in the speech as did Blair. Well delivered and extremely wide-ranging. I was impressed with it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I normally cringe when Bertie speaks, but I thought he was very good. I guarentee, in fifty years time, when kids are learning about this in history class, there will be quotes from that speach in the history book.

If Fianna Fail remain in power, in 50 years' time there will be no books, no history classes and no schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

raven136 wrote:
    I'm no fan of Bertie but his speech so far has been very impressive and a good performance

It's not like he wrote it...:D Hume should have been mentioned though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

28064212 wrote:
    I keep hearing this, that Fianna Fáil did such great work in Northern Ireland. Can anybody point to anything they actually did? I know about the great work that was done by, and between, Sinn Féin and the DUP, by the Northern Irish politicians. All I've seen from Bertie is a couple of photo-shoots
    I think Bertie gave it his all - he even swotted up on opera and the history of Ulster canals so that he could make small talk with David Trimble. There's attention to detail for you! Greater dedication and self-sacrifice I can hardly imagine:D :D

Advertisement