Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Help Here.

Options
  • 15-05-2007 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

I was in an exam and the emamener caught a note in the back of my calculator (it was only two small definitions).He then came over to me and said that he was reporting me. I wasnt actually caught looking at them.does anybody know what could happen or do you know anybody else that has been in the same situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

How did he see it?

Did you not hide it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭the tipster

Trampas wrote:
    How did he see it?

Did you not hide it?

someone beside me asked for a calculator and the examener gave him mine and saw them at the back when giving it to him. Very unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

Any material that the examiner took will be handed in to the exams office.

It will be assessed by the lecturer and if found that it is relevant to the exam that you were sitting, you will be failed in that subject. As far as I know, they are also within their rights to feck you out of the course altogether but I don't know if this actually happens or not. Hopefully it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Why did you bother risking it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ah dude, thats schoolboy that is, ya hide em in your boxers and go to jacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

...or you don't act like a child, and either do some work, or take the grade you deserve

Binomate wrote:
    Why did you bother risking it?

i dont know.it was only two definitions aswell.i actually forgot i put them there and wouldnt have looked at them.

does anybodybody think anything serious will happen?
    i was told bad things could happen because it was a state exam.

i dont know.it was only two definitions aswell.i actually forgot i put them there and wouldnt have looked at them.

Stop comforting yourself with that "only two defenitions" bullshit. It was two definitions too many. You gave yourself an unfair advantage over everyone else, and now its turned around and smacked you right in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

DIT have very clear regulations on what you can/cannot do in an exam.
    http://www.dit.ie/DIT/registrar/regs/gen_assess_reg/index.html

Their own regulations, Section 10.2 of the document above say that the Invigilator must inform you that you are going to be reported. (As you said, this was done.)

Once they've assessed what you've done, they have any of these options available to them, from Section 10.6 of that document:

(a) deem the candidate to be innocent of the allegation(s). In such a case the Examination Board shall be instructed to consider the assessment results in the normal manner

(b) issue a written warning to the candidate. In such a case the candidate may be informed that the written warning constitutes a formal record of breach of assessment regulations,

(c) deem the candidate to have failed all or part of the assessments for the stage or year of the course. In such a case the Panel of Enquiry shall determine the period of time which shall elapse before the student is entitled to be reassessed,

(d) determine if the candidate shall be ineligible for any special award of the Institute,

(e) suspend the candidate from all activities of the Institute for a stated period,

(f) recommend to Academic Council the expulsion of the candidate from the Institute. In such a case the expulsion order shall be signed by the President.

From what you've said was on the notes, I don't see them going with Option A or B so I'd say you're screwed. Deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

Same thing happened to a guy in my year... The definitions werent even for that exam. He was kicked out of college and got a fairly hefty fine. Nobody cheated again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I heard you get a 3-month prison sentence now aswell.
    Dont drop the soap my friend..

markk06 wrote:
    Same thing happened to a guy in my year... The definitions werent even for that exam. He was kicked out of college and got a fairly hefty fine. Nobody cheated again

seious? was he in dit? why would he have notes for a different subject in a different exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Lorax wrote:
    I heard you get a 3-month prison sentence now aswell.
    Dont drop the soap my friend..

I heard you can get 3 penatly points myself. Get the point, not the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

seious? was he in dit? why would he have notes for a different subject in a different exam.

why would you have notes for any exam in an exam?

"touché" is the word you're looking for

does anybody think i will be all right? Such a small thing. Only About 4 lines of words on the note.

does anybody think i will be all right? Such a small thing. Only About 4 lines of words on the note.

How good are you at breaking rocks? I'd say over the next few years you'll get better... You'll be passed around the cell block like currency

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

What anyone here thinks is irrelevant.
    It's up to the college authorities to decide the next course of action.

You might get lucky and get away with it, and you might not.

markk06 wrote:
    How good are you at breaking rocks? I'd say over the next few years you'll get better... You'll be passed around the cell block like currency

i wont waist my last few free days then. Ill get a tattoo tomorow and a chinese prostitute on thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Ah bless, you're screwed. Would you not have just learnt the definition if it was such a small thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

You deserve to be screwed over, especially with comments like that. Maybe not thrown out of the college, but definitily you deserve to be made repeat the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i bet ya know them two definitions off my heart now too lol

I still can't understand why anyone would risk it. I have an exam tomorrow that I have put absolutly no effort in to preparing for. I read the exam papers for the first time today. I'm with out a doubt going to fail this exam because I was a tard. I don't even have the luxury of having passed the continuous assessment. Tomorrow the shit will hit the fan. Now, I could cheat and maybe make some effort at passing in a dishonest way, but I will not, because I value my dignity to this extent at least. Really, can someone enlighten me as to why people bother cheating in stuff like this?

"i wasnt going to use them" isnt a great excuse to be honest.
    You'd be better off going with the "i was set up by the supervisor" line

Either way i think you better get used to seeing these guys http://www.superdramatv.com/line/oz/images/photo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 no comment

the same thing happened to a guy i was at DIT with. he was caught red handed looking at notes...he was boozin the night before and the buckfast had sullied his judgement.

i don't think it makes much difference whether you were caught looking at the notes or not, he just repeated the exam next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

markk06 wrote:
    "i wasnt going to use them" isnt a great excuse to be honest.
    You'd be better off going with the "i was set up by the supervisor" line

Either way i think you better get used to seeing these guys http://www.superdramatv.com/line/oz/images/photo.jpg

i remember seeing that show for the first time n wondering if it was some homo-erotic show = lots of gay sex n violence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Binomate wrote:
    I still can't understand why anyone would risk it. I have an exam tomorrow that I have put absolutly no effort in to preparing for. I read the exam papers for the first time today. I'm with out a doubt going to fail this exam because I was a tard. I don't even have the luxury of having passed the continuous assessment. Tomorrow the shit will hit the fan. Now, I could cheat and maybe make some effort at passing in a dishonest way, but I will not, because I value my dignity to this extent at least. Really, can someone enlighten me as to why people bother cheating in stuff like this?

Haha if you dont cheat your only cheating yourself! that was the motto of our year.. Everybody i know in DIT cheats, its probably the only thing you will perfect in college. I even know one guy with a supply of exam books who does his answers before hand.:eek: and another who brough a whole law text book in with him. Theres only a 1% chance of those old supervisors ever catching you.

Unlucky OP dont know what will happen to you, but im sure it wont be nice. Next time dont cheat if you cant do it properly.

Sundy wrote:
    Haha if you dont cheat your only cheating yourself! that was the motto of our year.. Everybody i know in DIT cheats, its probably the only thing you will perfect in college. I even know one guy with a supply of exam books who does his answers before hand.:eek: and another who brough a whole law text book in with him. Theres only a 1% chance of those old supervisors ever catching you.
    Awesome. Where I fail in college, I wish you luck when you start failing in life. At least I can repeat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

pfft - I cheat my arse off in exams too by several methods, **** written all over my pencil case, palm of my hand, write stuff on my desk when I sit down in the exam hall early, 90% of the time most of the stuff is either never usefull or only acts as reassurance to something that I already know. If I'm very stuck, for a proof etc.I will wear combats into exams and have sheets in the pockets so I go to the jacks, into a cubicle and flick through to refresh my memory if I get stuck in an exam.

I dont give a **** - I'll cheat my arse off in the real world too :D The requirement of being able to recall complicated mathematical proofs from memory wont be a major requirement of my career, understanding and problem solving will be way more important

I remember watchin an episode of some show like blossom or somethin, and there was a guy cheating by writing stuff on his arms/legs - and he came down a stairs and was like dude... I've come up with the best method of cheating ever, I wrote this stuff on my arms so many times that's its now gone into my head, they'll never be able to find my cheat notes there. lol

anyway, yeah you're probably screwed, but like some people said everyone I know in my course cheats to some degree and I've never heard of anyone bein turfed out, maybe you'll get away with a repeat

If I saw someone like you cheating in an exam, I'd have my hand up in an instant and you'd be out the door. I wouldn't report you because I care that you're cheating, but because, as trivial doing something like that is to me, you getting kicked out of college and knowing that happened as a result of something I did to you, would provide me with countless seconds of giggling. :)

Doin' it for teh lulz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

ah I love internet anonymity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement