Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metal Recommendations?

• 15-05-2007 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

I'm looking to add to my music collection but none of the bans i listen too have anything new out.

Can anyone recommend any good band or albums?

To give an idea of my taste, here's a list of bands i listen too:
    Rammstein
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    machinehead
    slipknot
    himsa
    devildriver
    motorhead
    machinehead
    Lamb of god
    killswitch engage
    Slayer

Not really interested in death metal as the vocals don't really do anything for me.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Mastodon, NIN, Clutch, Grip Inc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

blind guardian
    rhapsody
    anthrax
    Rage (not ratm, just rage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Chimaira
    Arch Enemy
    In Flames
    Hatebreed ?

Others - Might not be to your taste but may be worth a look
    Lighter
    Anathema
    30 Seconds to Mars
    Mad At Gravity

Heavier
    Gorija (SP)
    At The Gates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Another vote for Rage.
    Also Astral Doors if you like Dio
    GRave Digger are class too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ClarenceOveur

Ever listened to Nevermore? Music is kinda Death Metal-ly but the vocals aren't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Beyond Twilight
    Communic
    Devin Townsend
    Dream Theater
    Evergrey
    Gojira
    Iced Earth
    Kamelot (the more recent stuff)
    Opeth (seriously worth giving them a try, if you can get past some of the vocals)
    OSI
    Scar Symmetry
    Strapping Young Lad
    Symphony X

The three in bold would be most akin to the kind of metal you listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Unearth, As I Lay Dying and All That Remans will be right up your alley if you like KSE and Lamb Of God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Out of what has been put forward, I second Dream Theater, In Flames and Devin Townsend.
    Have you listened to Tool or The Mars Volta at all? If not, I seriously recommend both these bands for mind-blowing music. Might find them a little odd at the start, I did anyway but I really cannot recommend them enough.
    Deloused in the Comatorium (T.M.V) is an amazing album, although strangely I didn't like it at all the first time I heard it and didn't listen to it until nearly a year after that. But then I started listening to a couple of songs from it which eventually ended up in giving the whole album another chance and thank god I did. It's the most listened to album on my ipod and I still can't get over how good it is. If you listen to the first two tracks from it alone, you'll be hooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i wonder could we have a sticky at the top to help people get into new music?

maybe by listing out some genres and key bands/albums. or if you listen to this then you might like these?

I like to read these recommendation threads as it helps me to keep up to date.the lack of a search function (i think it is gone anyway!) means you cant find the similar topics.

its just a thought anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

From the bands youve mentioned TESTAMENT are by far the ebst band i can recmomend for you. Go get first stike still deadly, its a greatst hits where all the songs are rerecoded so the quality is superb. Unreal album.

Also try gojira just cause i found them recently and i was BLOWN AWAY.
    Dream theathers train of thought might be worth a listen to you but mabey not jusding from the bands listed above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Cool, thanx for the recommendations:

downloading gojira now.

will also try -
    Testament
    Rage
    unearth
    and a load of the others!!

:D - this will be great!

A sticky recommending new bands and their genre maybe a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

i wonder could we have a sticky at the top to help people get into new music?

I usually use Amazon or Nuclear Blast to see what new bands are similar to. Another one I used to use was http://www.metalmayhem.com.au/ - a cool metal shop I used to shop in all the time when I was in Melbourne.

I'd recommend, based on what you're in to - as before: Testament, Nevermore & Iced Earth. Also Primal Fear, Soilwork, Anthrax, Judas Priest & Death Angel.

My personal favourites, on top of the ones listed above, but perhaps not your scene would be Blind Guardian, Queensryche, Dream Theater & Helloween. All brilliant bands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Also you could try:

Demons & Wizards - they're the singer from Blind Guardian and the guitarist from Iced Earth. Anyone who's heard Fiddler on the Green has to agree it's a great songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Keg7B1EYxw someone made a final fantasy movie for it...

Manowar - classic heavy metal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

try using last fm, from your played music you can listen to an online radio thingy that plays stuff that people who listen to the same bands like also.
    www.last.fm

That last.fm is brilliant! lets me sample a load of bands.

God Forbid seem to be a good band.:D

Yeah god forbid are cool, I have to look for an album soon. Last.fm is great too.

Listening to Chimaira now, have meant to listen to them before but kept on forgetting! not bad at all!

And the search goes on!

You're in New Zealand I take it? What's the metal scene and exposure to new music like there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Vanadium, iron, copper, gold, silver, platinum... they're all good.

I see no Black Sabbath on this page. Rectify that.

Black Sabbath are default best metal band of all time! don't need to be added to the list.

The New Zealand Metal scene is alright, the main popular theme is Emo sadly.
    My chemical romance are massive over here.

They do have good underground metal scene here but rarely get any of the big bands coming over. The popular music here is mainly Rock. the radios are consumed by it and they have a dedicated rock station here in wellington. No metal but no pop either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

****, forgot God Forbid. Yea check them out, they're newest album Constitution Of Treason is fantastic.

*slaps forehead* Also try Shadows Fall, you won't be disappointed. Their first two albums are class stuff.

lol - ye really cool band! looking into them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Iron maiden - the number of the beast/piece of mind/powersleve
    Trivium - the crusade
    Mastadon - blood mountin
    Megadeth have a new album out now, i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭23

Dagoba (what hell is about) is in the same style of Machine Head (each...)you might like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Skiesonfire19

Killswitch engage, Machine head, slipknot, enter shikari, mudvayne, koRn, soil, devil driver, mastadoon, trivium, shadows fall, forever never, bullet for my valentine, opeth, stone sour, shattersphere, slayer, EPIDEMIC, papa roach, eighteen visions, rise against, cradle of filth, sepultura, suffocation, coma, type o negative, children of bodom, static-x, disturbed, in flames, Chimaira, ill nino, soulfly, drownig pool, spine shank, godsmack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

At The Gates; they were mentioned eariler but i second it, listen to Slaughter of the Soul. Try some Tool, Aenima is a great album maybe try Undertow aswell. Has anyone said Pantera? I cant remember. also Sepultura, Betzefer and Down. sorry if I repeated anyone I cant remeber what people have posted :o

Cool, thanx for the recommendations

Listening to Chimaira now, bloody great.

Not really into tool.

Also got some gojira and god forbid stuff! Haven't listened to gojira very closely!

Just listened to a sample of Dagoba - bloody sounds brilliant.

This it great, have at least added 5 bands to my collection. :D

Metal Madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

CDVILED47.jpg

and

slaughter.jpg

that is all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Monkey Alan

moron - better mod explanation. your recommendations were bordering on trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mastodon - Blood Mountain is a fantastic album and would be right up your street looking at your list.

MindFunk were a hugely underrated band and would be well worth checking out.

Why not try dipping your toe into some 80s stuff?Some of it might sound corny to you but alot of it really is great stuff.A few suggestions would be:

Accept,Demon,Raven,Loudness,Trust.

Advertisement