Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chasing socket in cavity wall bricks

Options
  • 15-05-2007 12:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm installing a socket in a wall that's made of cavity bricks. I was chisseling out a section for the back box but went right into the cavity. Now I have nowhere to mount the back box in. What should I do? Fill the cavity with sand/cement?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭DO0GLE

Mount timber batons to the cavity, screw the socket to the timber

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

Inside the cavity? I need to still have the socket recessed into the wall, so can't see how this would work for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I guess he means mount timber to the other side of the cavity
    Depending on the size of the hole you made can you not use hollow wall/plasterboard boxes?
    The just tighten onto the plasterboard...

don't think I'll be able to do that. It's cavity bricks, so the actual cavity is quite small. And can't get to the other side. And couldn't use platerboard boxes cause the hole is half on the concrete edge and half on the cavity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I don't really understand what you are saying there, but could you drill into the surrounding blocks (left and right of the hole)?
    One screw each side should suffice.
    You would have to drill in the middle of the block in case it would shatter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I presume you mean cavity blocks, these aren't designed to be chased. From here on you will have to make up the rules yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Copper

Hate when that happens. The easiest thing to do is to fill the chase with bonding compound and set the box in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Are these 9" hollow blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Copper wrote:
    Hate when that happens. The easiest thing to do is to fill the chase with bonding compound and set the box in it.

100% agree. No other easy and relatively quick way that I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

don't use bonding it rots the metal boxes use sand and cement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

davelerave wrote:

Since when does bonding rot metal boxes.?

as long as i can remember.it would be common knowledge among plasterers and sparkies(me).the same way cavity wall insulation and pvc insulation shouldn't come into contact.one box wouldn't matter that much though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

davelerave wrote:

Never happened to me. Strange:confused:

it takes a few years.i thinks its the urea in the bonding. anyhow they go like a rust bucket after a while

so how should I fill the gaps around the metal box? will plaster rot them too? or just bonding? And arn't the metal boxes galvanised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

jdpl28 wrote:
    so how should I fill the gaps around the metal box? will plaster rot them too? or just bonding? And arn't the metal boxes galvanised?

They are, I'm a little confused here. I chased an old house recently and half the wall fell in. The whole house was build with 4" cavily blocks in the 50's. The sparkie set all the boxes in bonding, said it was the only way around it.

As for rotting the back boxes......reckon that'd take a lifetime if at all!

jdpl28 wrote:
    just use sand and cement

Advertisement