Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus/NTL Blocking Sites?

Options
  • 15-05-2007 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

I was just reading an article on the register about how users in the UK are accusing Virgin Media (New name for ntl over there) of blocking allofmp3.com. They deny it of course... but it piqued my interest.

Decided to have a look at the site myself... and interestingly enough I also seem to be blocked from it on my chorus connection.

It could just be a technical issue..... But its also possible that they are actively blocking us from the site. Being blunt, I'm not a user of the site but I don't like the precedent that my isp can tell me what sites I'm allowed to view or not (within the obvious usual limits).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

AFAIK whilst NTL UK was sold to Virgin, NTL Ireland was sold to UPC/Chello
    they are no longer the same company nor is NTL Ireland using the old
    NTL UK bacbone/infrastructure.

But sure we all know NTL/UPC/Chorus/Chello have introduced traffic shaping
    - they're just staying true to form and not informing their punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Akula

Quite a co-incidence that the site is blocked on both though don't you think?

This goes beyond trafic shaping also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Akula wrote:
    Quite a co-incidence that the site is blocked on both though don't you think?

But it is a coincidence. They are completely seperate entities now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It's more than likely more to do with NTL/UPC's dodgy DNS

(Just got a mate to check and whilst the website is down, Alltunes is working fine.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

hi i use chorus bb in limerick goin ok

but i mentioned this about 2 weeks ago that i am unable to access www.geocities.com

don't know why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

yayamark wrote:
    hi i use chorus bb in limerick goin ok

but i mentioned this about 2 weeks ago that i am unable to access www.geocities.com

don't know why?

thats still not working? wow, it's not been accesable via ntl for weeks now. what a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

AllOfMp3.com isnt working on BT Ireland either, I cant ping it, and I cant access the site. The site could just be down, and I wouldnt be surprised considering the what-the-US-wants-the-US-gets environment these days <_<

Advertisement