Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I should be charging eircom!

Options
  • 15-05-2007 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I have gone through the whole routine trying to get broadband without success, I do live near exchange & neighbours have it I rang eircom and wanted to cancel line but they took my number & said they would ring back within a few days. They didn't.
    I find it bizarre that when a telephone pole cracked in a field that my family own last week they had engineers out repalcing it. This pole is providing service to a nearby village. Nobody rang my family looking for permission to enter the field and it's kinda funny they refused to send an engineer out to me. My house is across the road.
    I find it illiogical i must pay line rental for a sub standard line while they can use private land for their poles.
    It really was a master stroke by Mary O'Rourke back in 1997.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

racso77 wrote:
    I have gone through the whole routine trying to get broadband without success, I do live near exchange & neighbours have it I rang eircom and wanted to cancel line but they took my number & said they would ring back within a few days. They didn't.
    No surprise there. No communications company in this country communicates effectively. Big/small wired/wireless, none of 'em!
    racso77 wrote:
    I find it bizarre that when a telephone pole cracked in a field that my family own last week they had engineers out repalcing it. This pole is providing service to a nearby village. Nobody rang my family looking for permission to enter the field and it's kinda funny they refused to send an engineer out to me. My house is across the road.
    It would be extremely unusual for them not to have an access clause in any recent agreement, or a right of access under an older agreement. Sending an engineer out for 50+ phone lines is a lot different than for 1 line, and is likely to be a completely different division.
    racso77 wrote:
    I find it illiogical i must pay line rental for a sub standard line while they can use private land for their poles.
    I don't think their use of private land is anything unusual and there's most likely some agreement in place around it. Agreed on the full premium for a sub-standard phone line though, a point often raised by IoffL too, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

racso77 wrote:
    It really was a master stroke by Mary O'Rourke back in 1997.

She only signed off on their privatisation, as minister for public enterprise (responsible for semi-state companies). Her involvement ended once Telecom Eireann became eircom plc and thus a private company.
    It was the minister for communications who was supposed to damn well properly regulate them! He never did!!
    I'd hold Dempsey & co to account for this one!! Big time!
    Comreg was left powerless for far too long.

I find it odd too that the second that eircom plc owneship transfered to someone who wasn't a major irish media mogal who could bully FF, that comreg suddenly acquired teeth !!

Advertisement