Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Playoffs

• 15-05-2007 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

With the second leg of the first semi-final upon us tonight, I thought it'd be interesting to get people's takes on the playoffs.

Some people are against the concept of the playoffs because the 3rd best team in the league can ultimately miss out on promotion to a team that finished several points below them. I can certainly understand this point of view, and I used to feel stronger about it myself. However, I just love to watch them too much to want the system ditched :)

So if you're in favour of keeping the playoffs, would you keep the format or would you be in favour of the football league experimenting with alternative methods?

I was unaware of this, but apparently in Serie B, there are only playoffs if the team who finishes 3rd finishes under 10 points above the 4th placed team.
    From Wikipedia:
    It operates almost identically to the system currently used in England. The top two clubs in Serie B earn automatic promotion to Serie A with the next four clubs entering a playoff to determine who wins the third promotion place, as long as fewer than 10 points separate the third and fourth-placed teams (which usually occurs).
    This would bring an element of fair play to the system, although having said that, I can't remember the last time 10 points separated 3rd and 4th in any division in the football league.

Another alternative, which I actually thought was the system in Serie B, is in operation in the Belgian Second Division. It's a system where the team who finishes second-last in the First Division joins a playoff pool with three teams from the Second Division.

What would you like to see done with the Playoffs? 20 votes

Nothing; leave the playoffs as they are
    0% 0 votes
    Scrap the playoff system, it's unfair on the team who finishes 3rd
    65% 13 votes
    3rd-placed team goes up if a certain amount of points ahead of 4th
    10% 2 votes
    Team finishing 3rd-last joins playoffs instead of 6th-placed team in division below
    10% 2 votes
    Team finishing 3rd-last plays one-off game against 3rd highest team in division below
    5% 1 vote
    Other alternative methods (specify)
    10% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

At the end of last season in the LoI the second last placed team in the Premier League (Waherforh) played the second placed team in the First (Dundalk).

Dundalk won the play-off, but they are still in the First :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Play-Offs are great, leave them the way they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I like the idea of playoffs - it gives teams further down the table something meaningful to play for. Without them, in a league the size of the Championship, too many teams would be playing for nothing for seasons on end.

An interesting proposal I read on football365.com recently suggested implementing a playoff for the 4th Champions League spot. I'd be in favour of this, as it might break the dominance of the top 4. On the other hand, it might just create an even stronger Top 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Kingp35 wrote:
    would agree with you there,what great drama it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

seansouth wrote:
    At the end of last season in the LoI the second last placed team in the Premier League (Waherforh) played the second placed team in the First (Dundalk).

Dundalk won the play-off, but they are still in the First :D
    seansouth, you used the grinning smiley by mistake. You obviously meant to use this wee fella.:( Or maybe even this lad :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I like the idea of playoffs - it gives teams further down the table something meaningful to play for. Without them, in a league the size of the Championship, too many teams would be playing for nothing for seasons on end.
    That's it exactly. The new playoff here is a bit improved again, it gives home advantage to the team which finished higher in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Drama and excitement FTW!! Never change something this good. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I like the idea of playoffs in general, but I do think there should be a points limit.
    I think they should do what Serie B does, and if there is a 10 point gap between 3rd and 4th, 3rd automatically goes up.

That said, the playoff is probably worth a lot of money to the teams in it, let alone due to the prospect of promotion, but in terms of promoting the championship as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Kingp35 wrote:

Agree 100% with that. They provide a lot of entertainment every year, and it adds a little extra excitement to the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Playoffs are great as they are the only downside is the final is on an English Bank holiday so we usually miss it.

The worst play off system is the Dutch ,shows how bad playoffs can be when they are designed to keep the big clubs in the top spots.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

it gives teams further down the table something meaningful to play for. Without them, in a league the size of the Championship, too many teams would be playing for nothing for seasons on end.
    That's about it to this discussion tbh. Leave 'em well alone.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

great match on atm southampton equalised in the 89th min to take it to ET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I not have much issue with promotion/relegation style playoffs but I have never liked the English system where we often see a 6th place team being promoted - that is just wrong IMO.

What I would like to see is top 3 from the Championship get promoted and the 4th place team play-off against 4th bottom from the Premiership or even have 4th/5th Championship and 16th/17th Premiership in a 4 team play-off with semi-finals and a final - I say this because there are so many draw chasing bland teams in the Premiership who are doing nothing for years (Middlesbrough, Fulham and Man City spring to mind) I'd like to see more of the teams kept on their toes to improve competition.

Advertisement