Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving shortcuts

Options
  • 15-05-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I need some help, the traffic jam that is Claregalway wrecks my head on the way from Limerick to Roscommon.
    Is there a detour I can take to avoid Claregalway. One of the right turns before Claregalway must bring you out the Tuam side of the village.
    Also looking for a Gort detour if anybody can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

For Gort, turn left before you enter the speed limit zones (just after the last 2staight stretches before the town), go over the railway line bridge, then turn right (you'll end up parallel to the road that the Lady Gregory hotel is on). Continue for about a mile on this road until you are again entering the 50kmh zone. Turn left before the SuperValu just after the GAA pitch. Take you next right and it will bring you out onto the Galway road on the other side at the bad bend about 100 yrds before the petol station. It is a fair bit longer that going through Gort but it is useful if there is a bad backup.

For Claregalway, I presume you turn off the dual carrageway at Oranmore for CG'way. If so, after the traffic lights at Carnmore Cross (near the airport), take the next right down a county road. Continue on this to a crossroads and turn left for Cregmore (should be sign posted). Go through Cregmore over a really narrow bridge and if memory serves me you will actually wind up on the Roscommon rd. after the turnoff from the Tuam road but before Flynns Supermarket.

Hope that helps:D - Claregalway is a F*#King nightmare :mad: and I'm just glad I never have to pass thru at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

If you're driving towards Galway take a right turn in Kilcolgan, just before the left turn for Kinvara. If you keep following that road you'll end up in Craughwell. If you don't want to go that far then go along that road but after about 1 km there's a left turn. Keep on that road, going through all junctions and you'll come out on the Dublin road very close to the Oranmore roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

For Gort, turn left before you enter the speed limit zones (just after the last 2staight stretches before the town), go over the railway line bridge, then turn right (you'll end up parallel to the road that the Lady Gregory hotel is on). Continue for about a mile on this road until you are again entering the 50kmh zone. Turn left before the SuperValu just after the GAA pitch. Take you next right and it will bring you out onto the Galway road on the other side at the bad bend about 100 yrds before the petol station. It is a fair bit longer that going through Gort but it is useful if there is a bad backup.

For Claregalway, I presume you turn off the dual carrageway at Oranmore for CG'way. If so, after the traffic lights at Carnmore Cross (near the airport), take the next right down a county road. Continue on this to a crossroads and turn left for Cregmore (should be sign posted). Go through Cregmore over a really narrow bridge and if memory serves me you will actually wind up on the Roscommon rd. after the turnoff from the Tuam road but before Flynns Supermarket.

Hope that helps:D - Claregalway is a F*#King nightmare :mad: and I'm just glad I never have to pass thru at peak times.

hey keithers ,

if i am driving from galway to limerick via gort, as i approach Gort there is a sharp turn to the left.i often see loads of cars turn right, cutting across the traffic. does this road take you around gort?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Here's a thought about traffic in general.

Talk to your neighbours.
    Put up a sign in your local shop/church/wherever asking if anyone wants to carpool.
    Perhaps start an online forum or use boards.

Get rid of the traffic instead of spreading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

hey keithers ,

if i am driving from galway to limerick via gort, as i approach Gort there is a sharp turn to the left.i often see loads of cars turn right, cutting across the traffic. does this road take you around gort?

Yea it does-thats the route he described to by pass gort coming for limerick. So you would go right there, then take a left at the end of that road, go right at super value, then i think its the first turn left then you should come back onto the main road..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Msfc wrote:
    Yea it does-thats the route he described to by pass gort coming for limerick. So you would go right there, then take a left at the end of that road, go right at super value, then i think its the first turn left then you should come back onto the main road..

Just like that!
    SyxPak wrote:
    Here's a thought about traffic in general.

Talk to your neighbours.
    Put up a sign in your local shop/church/wherever asking if anyone wants to carpool.
    Perhaps start an online forum or use boards.

Get rid of the traffic instead of spreading it.

If only it was that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Ach, I hate that wee country road. I've got a puncture on it twice over the years. Anyone know another Claregalway bypass? (going from the city centre towards Sligo town)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Out the headford road, turn right into Corrandulla at the crossroads after Clonboo and follow the road straight out at the cop shop at the Central Tavern on the N17. There is a road further on which brings you out at Belclare just outside Tuam - you can follow me through it anytime but I'm not going to type directions...

'cptr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

limerick - roscommon

nenagh
    borrisokane
    cloughan
    ferbane
    athlone
    knockroghery
    roscommon

no nasty traffic jams/bottlenecks along that route

Advertisement