Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

command line email

• 15-05-2007 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Messing around here on various linux 9 & fedora servers with sending files via email for reporting purposes.. At the moment I'm using

cat /whatever/file | mail -s 'Subject' email@address.com

It's working, but it's tagging messages as spam. Anyway I can get around this? Or any better process I could use to achieve the same result? Had a good google around the place but cant come up with anything decent. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Hi,

what's tagging it as spam? the email account you're sending to? If that account has a filter maybe try an account you know doesn't. If it turns out that it is the filtering on the email server you could play around with that to stop it getting marked as spam.

or am I waaaaay off the mark here? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I presume it's the outgoing server that's tagging it as spam, no matter what email address I send it to the tagging is always the same *** Spam ***

Tried turning off SpamAssassin with no effect. It's happened so far on a couple of Redhat 9 servers. There are one or two fedora machines it's not happening on but I can't see what differences there are between the configurations on the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

rymus wrote:
    Messing around here on various linux 9 & fedora servers with sending files via email for reporting purposes.. At the moment I'm using

cat /whatever/file | mail -s 'Subject' email@address.com

It's working, but it's tagging messages as spam. Anyway I can get around this? Or any better process I could use to achieve the same result? Had a good google around the place but cant come up with anything decent. Cheers.

I found using SendEmail works great for doing this type of thing
    http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Could be your sender address that's causing that.
    The headers should list why the message has been designated as spam.
    If it has, you may need to persuade your system to give you (or 'root' by any chance?) a real email address for mails sent from the command line.
    This might be in a file called genericstable or virtusertable depending on your mail system.

Send yourself an email from the command line on a machine that works and one that doesn't and compare the two. Any differences besides timestamps are worth looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

cheers for the help lads, I'll have to take a look at both solutions when I get ten minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, to elaborate on what's already been said, the usual reason for this is that the messages have a sender domain that doesn't correspond with the outgoing mail server's domain (or as the receiver's concerned, the mail server from which the message originated).

So, for example, if mail sent from the shell appears to come from rymus@rymus.com but your SMTP server is on the domain rymusesprovider.com, then your message is likely to be treated as spam by recipients (unless the DNS tree has rymusesprovider.com listed as the owner of rymus.com)

Advertisement