Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF seeking Number ones for Bertie in Dn Central

Options
  • 15-05-2007 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭

Was canvassed last night (while dinner was on the table!) by a nice, jolly man from FF. "I'm canvassing on behalf of Fianna Fail" says he, "we're looking for your number one vote for An Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern." While I would normally engage enthusisatically with canvassers, I was anxious to get back to the dinner so I just gave a non-committal response and briefly mentioned extensions to the local school which my children attend (all politics is local;) He promised to bring it to the great man's attention and then said, very much as an afterthought, "and we have two other candidates running, Cyprian Brady and Mary Fitzpatrick. Don't forget about them too"

This is odd for two reasons. FF will be hard pushed to get a second seat here. If they were gunuinely trying to optimise their strategy, the only thing to do would be to realise Bertie is safe and look for number ones for Brady and Fitzpatrick.

Secondly, I live in the heart of Fitzpatricks end of the constituency, where her father was a TD and a GP and the family is well known. Surely, it would make sense to canvass primarily for her here in an attempt to maximise the vote.

I can only assume that FF have abandoned all hope of the second seat and it's everyman for himself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Do you think Bertie will gallop to victory in Dublin Central again ?
    I'm pretty sure he will, but I find it funny that most of the negativity for FF is attributed to it's 'leader', and there seems to be a large amount of discontent with FF and Bertie as a leader of the country. He obviously does nothing at a local level any more for this constituents. Thinking logically, you would expect him to struggle in this election with people showing their discontent.
    But no, he will still get more votes than someone like Tony Gregory, who does a fantastic amount at local level and is dignified and trustworthy.

I do agree, that it's hard to see either Brady or Fitzpatrick (despite the large amounts of posters and boards) getting in. Patricia Mckenna is a strong candidate for the greens that could spring a surprise.

So, Bertie one seat, Tony Gregory second seat, Joe Costello third seat. The fourth seat is very interesting, and I think it is between
    McKenna (green)
    Pascahal Donohue (FG) and Mary Lou (SF).
    Mary Lou (the acceptable and soft face of SF) is the favorite to snatch it here for some reason, but I think Mckenna could spring a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Gob&#225 wrote: »
    I can only assume that FF have abandoned all hope of the second seat and it's everyman for himself?

No, it's merely par for the course with Bertie. In 2002, while Mara's transfer strategy almost gave FF an overall majority, they came within a handful of votes of losing Fitzpatrick's seat to Nicky Kehoe of SF because Bertie was too greedy with his vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Its Costello's seat that Mary Lou is targeting surely and i think he could be in trouble but I dont see Mckenna getting in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

Update:

Bertie himself was around tonight, fresh back from the Houses of Westminster:)

Very impressive canvassing operation - about a dozen very well dressed "beaters" call to all doors on the road and point out that An Taoiseach is canvassing and looking for your vote - meanwhile the man himself is striding (very quickly) down the middle of the road greeting and waving to all and sundry. You are invited to say a word to him if you want to - I availed of the opportunity to to compliment him on his efforts in Northern Ireland (credit where credit is due in fairness!) and he shook hands and was off like a rocket before I could get stuck into the "but, there's also....." list of issues.

The man's energy levels must be amazing.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jean Dwyer

Man pity i didn't see him.
    I had my two shillings worth with the FF canvassers in Dublin 7 tonight.
    I asked them IF Bertie is found guilty of corruption will we see justice.
    The answers I got was " Who was it that leaked the information ? "
    I said it was irrelevant if he was guilty would he go to jail ?
    They said " No why ? its not illegal to be given money "
    I said Okay then its immoral and did he pay tax on the money he took.
    They insisted that " he didn't take the money he was given it "
    I pressed the point did he pay tax ?
    The answer I was given was "no that you don't have to pay tax on a gift."
    I corrected them saying that you have to pay tax on any money received or at least declare it.
    They then insisted that he didn't get the money Celia did...... Grrrrr !!!
    The final answer they gave me was " Let he without sin cast the first stone "
    This made me mad as i pay my taxes and made sure i told them ....
    I then walked away because there was no point talking to the monkeys when i needed to talk to the organ grinder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flurby

The FF lads in Dublin 15 are just as bad...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055093228

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

flurby wrote:
    The FF lads in Dublin 15 are just as bad...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055093228

Just ignore all canvassers, even the one's who represent the party you support. If you don't support a party pick some party that doesn't have a candidate in your constituency and claim to be an "X" household and to leave you alone. Take some really odd party like Christian Solidarity (or whatever their name is) if you want a real laugh and odd looks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flurby

The way I see it, if a party sends someone to my front door representing them, the least they could do is give them a quick course in:

1. The party's policies.
    2. Not insulting people.

Let's face it, even those annoying broadband/phone service salespeople:

1. Know the deals on offer.
    2. Are polite.

Besides, I have a real problem with party loyalty in the first place. It seems to me that even now, in the 21st century, most people have loyalties because their Da told them that was just the way it is.

The civil war continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is odd for two reasons. FF will be hard pushed to get a second seat here. If they were gunuinely trying to optimise their strategy, the only thing to do would be to realise Bertie is safe and look for number ones for Brady and Fitzpatrick.

Secondly, I live in the heart of Fitzpatricks end of the constituency, where her father was a TD and a GP and the family is well known. Surely, it would make sense to canvass primarily for her here in an attempt to maximise the vote.

According to Phoenix Magazine - apparently the constituency was to be split in three, with each assigned an area to get first preferences, but the deal fell apart.

But imagine it if Bertie didn't get enough first preferences. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

According to the local FF chairperson, they're not too interested in Fitzpatrick at all. I remember in the last FF pamphlet she barely got a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

Further update: Letter on mat early this morning from Bertie asking me to "support the party strategy" by voting "in this area" in the following order:

1 Ahern, Bertie
    2 Brady, Cyprian
    3 Fitzpatrick, Mary

Very odd, given that Fitzpatrick is from just doen the road..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Surely nobody with a name like Cyprian deserves a seat in parliament? :D

Further update: Letter on mat early this morning from Bertie asking me to "support the party strategy" by voting "in this area" in the following order:

1 Ahern, Bertie
    2 Brady, Cyprian
    3 Fitzpatrick, Mary

Just possibly, it's alphabetical?

1 Ahern, Bertie
    2 Brady, Cyprian
    3 Fitzpatrick, Mary

It's odd given that any constituency where FG or FF have 2 or more candidates running the poster will very often have "Vote #1" beside the candidate whose poster it is and then "continue 2, 3 in order of your preference for Miss D and Jack L" with the 2 subsequent candidates ordered alphabetically, not HQ-preferentially

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

upmeath wrote:
    It's odd given that any constituency where FG or FF have 2 or more candidates running the poster will very often have "Vote #1" beside the candidate whose poster it is and then "continue 2, 3 in order of your preference for Miss D and Jack L" with the 2 subsequent candidates ordered alphabetically, not HQ-preferentially

And in some constituencies you can barely make out the other names to give your preferences to. In Cork North West you'd swear they was no party connection with the posters. Which is a change from the last election where you'd see the odd one with 1, 2 quite prominent on them. :)

nesf wrote:
    And in some constituencies you can barely make out the other names to give your preferences to.

Yeah they'd might as well not be printed on them at all, the running mates' names are rarely printed in letters any bigger than an inch or so, very hard to make out when driving and sometimes even when walking past an election poster

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

1 Ahern, Bertie
    2 Brady, Cyprian
    3 Fitzpatrick, Mary

I would say Mary is extremely pissed off about that. She's a counciller in the area and a pretty good one (I say that as not a FF fan) and to be place 3rd behind Cyprian who doesnt have a voting base in the area. The FF campaigner at our polling station said it was becasue good old Bertie wouldn't make a decision on who to run with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Bertie (2 quotas) & Tony Gregory elected.

Mary Lou just eliminated. :D

Brady, Costello & Donohue elected.

Brady is about to be elected based on a 900 1st preference votes (2.7%). How can that be a mandate? I've lived in Dublin central since before the last election & never heard of Brady. He didn't even send me junk mail.

:(

McSpud wrote:
    Brady is about to be elected based on a 900 1st preference votes (2.7%). How can that be a mandate? I've lived in Dublin central since before the last election & never heard of Brady. He didn't even send me junk mail.
    Cyprian is that other fools older brother and one of Bertie's right hand men.

Victor wrote:
    Cyprian is that other fools older brother and one of Bertie's right hand men.

Apparently he was civil servant before he ran Bertie constituency office, Bertie then gave him a Senate seat last time. Anther Yes man for Bertie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

The yesest man.

Brady makes his debut on RTE.

I could be wrong but I thought I heard him say FF decided to go for 3 seats & then he said they had a 2 candidate campaign.

He completely ignored the Bertie letters question so clearly trained by the best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Reptileboy

I'm very happy with the makeup of Dublin Central. Bertie is a nice and decent bloke, got my vote straight up. I felt Mary was screwed by Cyprian, who was annoying me for the past week driving his car around with loudspeakers blaring out Faithless with his voice dubbed over.

Tony Gregory is a legend in this area, his dedication to the people of Dublin Central is rarely beaten by the other parties. Joe Costello is not a personal favourite, I've rarely recieved literature from him.

But otherwise I think the 4 will benefit the area. Bertie has always done his best for the area despite his demanding workload as leader of the country. So hopefully Cyprian Brady will act as a greater conduit between the community and Bertie. I've always felt that having Bertie was both a blessing and a curse for the area. He obviously brought a great deal of pride to the area. Even my die hard FG grandmother voted for him. But the problem was always that he was so busy.

That said, he's always been nice to talk to and easy to approach.

I'm also happy Mary Lou didn't get in. I've been eager to have her stop by my door. And in the entire campaign I didn't see her anywhere near my area. And she's supposed to be our MEP. Her record in Europe is terrible. I checked it up on the parlimentary website and was appalled.

Still dissappointed that the infighting between Cyprian and Mary was so damaging. Mary is a wonderful councilor, who has been far more visible than Cyprian in the area. Her work with the residents around Croke Park and with the Residents for Realignment campaign demonstrates she knows how to work with the community.

But overall, I feel that this election has been a masterclass in democracy in action. When I cast my vote, I was overwhelmed with the sensation that it actually meant something. That it really counted. It was a real rush.

I trully hope all elected TD's in Dublin Central can work together for the benefit of the area. They ran a very clean and civil campaign, and it was tough to choose between them. They are all hard working individuals. I just wish the rest of the country was a bit more like that.

Reptileboy wrote:
    Residents for Realignment
    Who are they?

This is the number one people should have given him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Reptileboy

The Residents for Realignment are a lobby group working to minimise the disruption that the construction of the Dublin Metro North will have. As many living in the area around Drumcondra and Ballymun will recognise, the RPA have changed the route of the proposed metro so that it cuts a rather bizarre path across the area.

The Residents for Realignment have broad party support from the various politicians in the area. I may not agree entirely with their aims, but I support their efforts for a fairer deal for the residents.

They have a website here.

Although it is hard to take them seriously when a few days before the general election they drop in a nice newsletter and proudly proclaim that residents contact various politicians. Including Taoiseach Enda Kenny. In Bertie country that is almost unforgivable.

Advertisement