Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackboard Outage?

Options
  • 15-05-2007 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

Is there a scheduled Blackboard outage at the moment?

It ain't working for me and I need to study :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Ah it's back. I can relax and realise that I'm stupid :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think though the fragility of the blackboard system is quite scary around exam time. The college are paying a crazy amount of money for software that needs huge resources to work, when they could use other systems like Moodle with much better reliability and uptime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Red Alert wrote:
    I think though the fragility of the blackboard system is quite scary around exam time. The college are paying a crazy amount of money for software that needs huge resources to work, when they could use other systems like Moodle with much better reliability and uptime.
    You should tell them that. And if not them then... well I'm not gonna name names but "your-man" I think that'll work

EDIT to say:
    I just remembered, the computers in the engineering building keep crashing-they crashed on me during my maths practical exam. Is this just engineering or is it happening anywhere else? Whats odd is it seems to be happening to all of them. Oddly enough, in the one time of year we don't need them as much as we did. Or really at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Red Alert wrote:

Moodle isnt very reliable. Our Human Geography 1 module was based solely upon moodle and tutorials. However, on the last day of assignment submissions the whole thing collapsed due to high traffic ( about 250 users online ) and didnt recover for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Moodle isnt very reliable. Our Human Geography 1 module was based solely upon moodle and tutorials. However, on the last day of assignment submissions the whole thing collapsed due to high traffic ( about 250 users online ) and didnt recover for a few hours.
    Red Alert wrote:
    they could use other systems like Moodle with much better reliability and uptime.
    Surely if Moodle is open source, *someone* clever out there could sort that out? Or am I just being naive? I remember Moodle being mentioned as a more viable alternative during the Sabbat elections but not much else...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I used moodle for one of my modules and I personally didn't find it as user friendly or as easy to navigate as Blackboard. If the college can get any reliability issues with Blackboards sorted then I see no reason to switch to moodle or anything else

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That to be honest is more a symptom of an underpowered server than a software issue.

Blackboard's problems are a lot more endemic, right down to how it's built. For example, why have the Upload File, then Send File thing, or the very non-intuitive sections like Staff Information etc which most lecturer's don't use.

Thanks be to god i'm no longer taking any classes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

It was a scheduled outage - saw it on the messages in connect

Advertisement