Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gamble called into Ireland squad

• 15-05-2007 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Steve Staunton has called up ex-Barnet midfielder Joe Gamble. "He always looked a good player when he was over here. I've no idea what he's doing with himself now but we're a bit short!"

Good player deserves it hopefullly noone will be molested on the tour

Any chance Shellly Bradley Keegan and maybe O Donvan could be called up? Its a disgrace they havent been. We need a petition!!!!

:D

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

KdjaCL wrote:
    O Donvan could be called up?
    He won't get a sniff until some Championship club sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Congrats to Joe Gamble.

Great boost for what Cork City are doing as a club as well.

O'Donovan should be in there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Steve Staunton has called up ex-Barnet midfielder Joe Gamble. "He always looked a good player when he was over here. I've no idea what he's doing with himself now but we're a bit short!"

Did Stan say that? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nope RTE site was down so i used a quote of foot.ie :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

so if gamble has been called up to that squad , then stan must be considering Whelan for the full squad.......surely.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Does anybody know if the two games will be televised next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PCros wrote:
    Does anybody know if the two games will be televised next week?
    1st game live on RTE, 2nd game live on Sky Sports. RTE will have full deferred coverage of the 2nd game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

What time Irish time will the matches be Eirebhoy? I know that you know that I know that you know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Line up for the B International back in November:
    Randolph (Quigley, 86),
    Foley, McCarthy, Bruce (O’Cearuill, 51), Emanuel,
    Gamble, McPhail (Potter, 45), Gibson (Frecklington, 51), O’Brien (Hunt, 44),
    Keogh (Long, 77), O’Donovan (Stokes, 51).

From that game, Long, Stokes and Hunt have all gone to win senior caps in the next 3 games. As well as that, O'Cearuill, Potter, O'Brien, Keogh and now Gamble are going on the tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

great news for the league i am delighted to see it he deserves his chance.

bit biased towards drogheda here but brian shelly has to deserve it along with graham gartland these to guys are just immense in every single game.

I am sure a lot of you guys feel players from your club deserve chances aswell but i honestly think these two have the quality and are far better than a lot of england based players getting a chance with ireland.

I dont think any Pats players should be called up but i think a few off Drogs Cork Bohs and maybe derry should be called up. ;)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Stan wrote:
    "He always looked a good player when he was over here. I've no idea what he's doing with himself now but we're a bit short!"

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Anyway, delighted for Gamble, hopefully he'll get some action with having to molest any footballs. I'm still stunned that Staunton is THAT clueless he has never have heard of Roy O'Donovan. Such a shame that Ireland are missing out on such a fantastic talent due to that gobsh!te's ignorance of domestic football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Line up for the B International back in November:
    Randolph (Quigley, 86),
    Foley, McCarthy, Bruce (O’Cearuill, 51), Emanuel,
    Gamble, McPhail (Potter, 45), Gibson (Frecklington, 51), O’Brien (Hunt, 44),
    Keogh (Long, 77), O’Donovan (Stokes, 51).

From that game, Long, Stokes and Hunt have all gone to win senior caps in the next 3 games. As well as that, O'Cearuill, Potter, O'Brien, Keogh and now Gamble are going on the tour

Oh lord don't remind me of that "game"!

Good to see Gamble is in there, but would have been nice to see Wes Hoolahan get a call-up after a great season, unfortunately he has bigger fish to fry at the moment though!

5 player withdrew from the squad they were C folan, D geary, L miller, S Ireland and S elliot. so far gamle and villas stephen o halloran have been called in.

so whats the chances some more EL players get the chance. i am not holding my breath stan will prob find someone playing for boston utd that has an irish granny or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Would particulary like to see Graham Gartland of the Drogs get a call up............thought he was very impressive in the Setanta Cup Final.

So we're left with:

Goalkeepers:
    Nicky Colgan, Wayne Henderson, Colin Doyle.

Defenders:
    Stephen Kelly, Sean St Ledger, Alex Bruce, Joseph O'Cearuill, Stephen O'Halloran.

Midfielders:
    Kevin Kilbane, Stephen Hunt, Alan O'Brien, John O'Shea, Joe Gamble.

Forwards:
    Daryl Murphy, Anthony Stokes, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long.

McShane will be included if West Brom lose tonight. Potter and Keogh included if Wolves lose.

He needs to call up more players.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Anyway, delighted for Gamble, hopefully he'll get some action with having to molest any footballs. I'm still stunned that Staunton is THAT clueless he has never have heard of Roy O'Donovan. Such a shame that Ireland are missing out on such a fantastic talent due to that gobsh!te's ignorance of domestic football.

I know that the below will be strongly critiscised by those who have posted on this thread already and we may have to ultimately agree to disagree.

However, IMO the Eircom league cannot be considered an adequate standard from which players can be called up to the National squad. I don't believe that the top teams in the Eircom league could compete for promotion from league one in England. I think that calling Gamble up for these friendly matches is a waste of time - as he will not be seriously considered for the next set of qualifying matches given his current club situation.

Well he impressed in the B international vs Scotland, so this is the next progression.

If Brian Kerr had picked Doyle while he was with Cork City maybe we would have qualified for the World Cup.

Think about that.

If Brian Kerr had picked Doyle while he was with Cork City maybe we would have qualified for the World Cup.

Think about that.

Oh sure. Because Doyle is the exact same player in terms of abillity and experience that he was when he was still at Cork. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did Stan say that? :confused:

Was thinking the exact same thing. If he did say that why is the manager? Surely he should be scouting players. Who knows I could be called up next

Edit: Missed KdjaCL post in my egerness to reply

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Oh sure. Because Doyle is the exact same player in terms of abillity and experience that he was when he was still at Cork. :rolleyes:

He was scoring goals in Europe when he was at Cork City.

He may be a wealthier man now, but hes still basically the same 8/10 player he was at City. Not a star but consistently good.

He was scoring goals in Europe when he was at Cork City.

He may be a wealthier man now, but hes still basically the same 8/10 player he was at City. Not a star but consistently good.

Well, we have to agree to disagree then I'm afraid. Over the last two years I think Doyle has become a much more rounded force. He is constantly improving. And maybe my fundamental thought would be that it is easier for him to take the psychological step to an International game from Reading than it would be while he was at Cork.

Maybe so, but Doyle looks the same player to me. He still runs the channels, he's good with his back to goal and is good in the air.

But a player like Joe Gamble should have no psychological fears about playing for the international team.

He was also at Reading and in England for 4/5 years before he signed for Cork City and is confident in his own ability.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    However, IMO the Eircom league cannot be considered an adequate standard from which players can be called up to the National squad. I don't believe that the top teams in the Eircom league could compete for promotion from league one in England.

I strongly disagree with this and i strongly believe a lot of the teams would be top league 1 teams and and maybe even an average Chamionship team.

But a player like Joe Gamble should have no psychological fears about playing for the international team.

He was also at Reading and in England for 4/5 years before he signed for Cork City and is confident in his own ability.

This is true. Would it not be fair to say therefore that Doyle is succeeding in the English game whereas the other had his shot across the water and it didn't work out? And, as such, one player has proven that he is good enough for the International team and the other has no business being near it?

It is nice that he is confident in his own abillity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    This is true. Would it not be fair to say therefore that Doyle is succeeding in the English game whereas the other had his shot across the water and it didn't work out? And, as such, one player has proven that he is good enough for the International team and the other has no business being near it?

From all the reports of the B International Joe Game was one of(if not himself) the best players on the pitch . Would you think it better to call up a player who is playing in England but didn't play so well that night ?

Plenty of players are dropped by clubs and then go on to make it at the level that club were at or even a higher one .

LuckyLloyd wrote:

Have you ever seen Joe Gamble play?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I
    However, IMO the Eircom league cannot be considered an adequate standard from which players can be called up to the National squad. I don't believe that the top teams in the Eircom league could compete for promotion from league one in England.

Thats a rubbish statement. I wonder just how much EL football and League One football you watch? Being a Leeds fan and some one who also watches the EL I can tell you right now that the top EL clubs could easily hold their own in the Championship, never mind League One. League One is a joke of a league with an awful standard of football, and its a League that I will sadly have to watch next season.

It does not matter what league or team that you play for, if your good enough your good enough, and on that note why the hell isnt Roy O Donovan in that squad?

• Advertisement

Have you ever seen Joe Gamble play?

Yessir. I watch a little bit of Irish football!!

Kingp35 wrote:
    Thats a rubbish statement. I wonder just how much EL football and League One football you watch? Being a Leeds fan and some one who also watches the EL I can tell you right now that the top EL clubs could easily hold their own in the Championship, never mind League One. League One is a joke of a league with an awful standard of football, and its a League that I will sadly have to watch next season.

It does not matter what league or team that you play for, if your good enough your good enough, and on that note why the hell isnt Roy O Donovan in that squad?

Well I think that is largely a rubbish statement. I think you are grossly over - rating the standard of the Eircom league. For example, I would be fairly certain that the currrent Leeds squad would run away with the Eircom league. And it wouldn't even be close. League one is bad I'll give you that - just like the EL.

Of course it matters what team you play for!! The better players gravitate towards the better leagues. Playing at a higher standard week in, week out will better prepare you for International football. Arguably the most talented player in a bad league? So what.

LuckyLloyd wrote:

Of course it matters what team you play for!! The better players gravitate towards the better leagues. Playing at a higher standard week in, week out will better prepare you for International football. Arguably the most talented player in a bad league? So what.

:confused:

With your logic Ireland should be good as we have players playing in Champ and League 1. It doesnt matter what team you play for if your good enough your good enough. Kevin Doyle is no different to when he was at Pats slightly chubbier and new haircut, you could see the guy had talent as was too good for the league because everything went his way doesnt mean it goes every other players way. There have been better players in the EL than him who never got a sniff of a contract in England.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Well I think that is largely a rubbish statement. I think you are grossly over - rating the standard of the Eircom league. For example, I would be fairly certain that the currrent Leeds squad would run away with the Eircom league. And it wouldn't even be close. League one is bad I'll give you that - just like the EL.

Well Ian Harte plays in La Liga but he's still **** so that's your logic out the window.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

LuckyLloyd wrote:

How many times did you see Doyle play for Cork City? Was his time in Reading so markedly better than it was in Cork that he was a full international after 3/4 months in England - 2 months of which were close season?
    League one is bad I'll give you that - just like the EL.

What are yuo basing this off? How many League One games have you seen this season to make this judgement?

As someone who goes to Leyton Orient a few times a season, and having seen them play teams from bottom and top of the division, I can safely say that any top eL team would walk that division, and it wouldn't even be close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6661899.stm

Thank christ its only a friendly :( Wouldnt have minded seeing Ireland getting more games for us before the big ones in September but anyway. What times are these matches on then?

edit- 23rd May is Champions League day isnt it? Odd timing/planning on the FAIs part.

Ah well, if theyre morning games in the US might see it followed by Liverpool :) Hope theyre not on after or during it.

edit again- 1am Irish time. Typiacl FAI planning :rolleyes:

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/10364236?view=Eircomnet&cat=Breaking%20News

• Advertisement

shane86 wrote:
    1 am Irish time is about 7 o'clock local time, if they had it at 7pm here, there'd be noone in the stadium, everyone would still be at work, school, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

1 am Irish time is about 7 o'clock local time, if they had it at 7pm here, there'd be noone in the stadium, everyone would still be at work, school, etc.

It's 8pm local time,

Id imagine even for matches in Croker/Landsdowne most people take the afternoon off. 5pm US kick off 10pm on a non CL night would be grand.

shane86 wrote:
    Id imagine even for matches in Croker/Landsdowne most people take the afternoon off. 5pm US kick off 10pm on a non CL night would be grand.
    It's not a "non CL" night. The final is on.

Steve Staunton has drafted Wolves teenager Stephen Gleeson into his Republic of Ireland squad for next week's friendly international in the United States.

The Irish boss called up the 18-year-old midfielder yesterday to give him a first taste of senior action.

Gleeson has been brought in to compensate for the loss of West Brom defender Paul McShane following the Baggies' progression to the Coca-Cola Championship play-off final.

The youngster made his fourth senior appearance for Wolves as a substitute in last night's meeting between the sides in the semi-final second leg.

Staunton had intended to hand a debut call-up to Wolves striker Stephen Ward, but the former Bohemians star suffered an injury in the latter stages of last night's game.

The Irish manager has lost many of the players he originally selected for the meetings with Ecuador in New York on Wednesday, and Bolivia in Boston three days later.

'It would have been nice to have a stronger panel heading out to America but we've got to live with it,' said Staunton.

'I am looking at making one or two more additions but it's difficult to get somebody else in at this point.'

Hes bringing in a CMF for CB :confused:

Shame about Ward afaik Bohs have clauses to get more cash if they went up or he got X caps.

kdjac

• Advertisement

On Cork radio that Alan Bennet has been called up, odd one as he was easily the best CB in the league last season but hasnt played since then end of last season.

Hope Cork get a few quid if he gets a game.

On Luckylyods logic the fact he hasnt played a game but has been surrounded by PL players means that since he last played for Cork vs derry (thx foot.ie) in november and not one game since that just being around PL players makes you instantly better, hmmm if sunderland walk by Inchicore when they here we are sorted :D

kdjac

Do you listen to Cork radio?:confused:

On Cork radio that Alan Bennet has been called up, odd one as he was easily the best CB in the league last season but hasnt played since then end of last season.

Hope Cork get a few quid if he gets a game.

On Luckylyods logic the fact he hasnt played a game but has been surrounded by PL players means that since he last played for Cork vs derry (thx foot.ie) in november and not one game since that just being around PL players makes you instantly better, hmmm if sunderland walk by Inchicore when they here we are sorted :D

kdjac

It's not a "non CL" night. The final is on.

:rolleyes:

That was my point. Rather than hold it in the small hours, why not hold it at around 11pm Irish time on a night when the CL isnt being played. I was saying its a typical FAI feck up. Normally people could care less about a friendly, but with the recent injury luck we had before our qualifiers its important to see what the back up lads can do, and if scheduled at a decent time they would get a huge audience.

All the time i find the accent sexy.

or read it on foot whichever you prefer ;)

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Hes bringing in a CMF for CB :confused:

Shame about Ward afaik Bohs have clauses to get more cash if they went up or he got X caps.

kdjac
    Gleeson has yet to start a match for Wolves so I assume he was recommended by Mick.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Gleeson has yet to start a match for Wolves so I assume he was recommended by Mick.

Still doesnt make sense, Mc Shane is hopefully going to be Dunnes partner for full team so why include a CMF when Hawkins is available.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

benno deffo called up.. delighted for him, couldnt have happened a nicer fella..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Jayz, bit of a "Gamble" calling him up, eh?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement