Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aaah my first audition tomorrow!!

Options
  • 15-05-2007 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I have my first audition tomorrow.
    It's for an ongoing series about a class in college.

The audition will last ten minutes, and I will have to do cold reading and also need to have a one minute monologue prepared. At the moment I'm thinking of going with one from Erin Brockovich. However should I be going for something that is directly related to the part I'd be going for (i.e. a college gal). Any thoughts or advice for a monologue?

Also - I've never actually had a proper audition tomorrow. I've done modelling and extra work before but never had a proper audition like this. So any advice or help or tips is really appreciated so much.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 triple_threat

This is a theatre audition, right? Because usually you are not supposed to use a movie monologue for a theatre audition.

There is a great article on cold readings at musicaltheatreaudition.com that may help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Hi Triple Threat, no this is an audition for TV (an ongoing series).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Neasa Woods

So tell us, how did it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Hi Caryatnid

For future auditions generally you should have a monolouge that shows off your talent at its best but is geared towards the project you are working on. For example if you are going for comedy then prepare a comic monologue if youare going for drama then choose a dramatic monologue.

If it is theatre then stick to a theatrical(bad idea to go with something for film they dont like it) monologue and work on movement, especially is it is a classical piece if it is film or t.v you can still use a theatrical monologue infact many actors and directors prefer it because it means that they dont end up comparing you with a much more famous actor. And for t.v internalize the drama rather then using movement as you would for stage. A lot of actors thing of film as being to do with the face and stage to do with the body but a better way of thinking about it is stage is to do with the space and filling it or drawing people in. Whereas film is more about you inner world. Although there are always exceptions.

And when you have a cold reading it means you have some material to work with that they want to see you do anyway.

I think you go with what you feel you do best and what you feel is a good piece in its own right.

I hope it went well congratulations you did your first audition!

By the way where did you find out about it if you dont mind my asking which agency are you with?
    Or did you hear about it by yourself?

Are you based in Ireland?

Well let us know how it went anyway.

Hi guys.
    Sorry for the lack of response and thanks for replying to my post.

To Lou - I heard about the auditions through a mail from Movie Extras.
    To Neasa - I was nervous as hell and forgot most of the English language and its pronunciation during the monologue. However I think I was ok at the cold-reading AND I had to sing - wasn't expecting that. I managed to get a call back and have a second audition coming up!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Caryatnid wrote:
    I managed to get a call back and have a second audition coming up!!!

Well done, keep us updated as to what else is happening :D:D :cool:

Well done good for you :):):)
    Keep us posted!!

Hi guys. My second audition is on Monday and I have to say that I have no audition experience whatsoever excepting the first audition that enabled me to get this one.

I just found out today that I will have to do an improvisation. Can anyone give me any tips, or advice on how I could practice? I want to give this my best shot.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭misssouthside

Improvisations: Are they going to give you a word, a picture? What will the improv be based on? Just get a dictonary, open at random, pick the first word you see, and use that as a title. Do a few of these. When you're doing the improv for the actual audition, think if any of the improvs you did as practice could be used in this improv.
    (I know this is a bit late, but just for future reference)

Hi honey if you are doing improv for an audition it is probably with others they may want to see how you get on with other actors. Dont forget the audition is not just on your talent but everything likie do you get on with other people and suchdo you preform well with others and react well or do you try to hog the limelight or the other problem do you get overshadowed. THey may want to see who goes together.

If it is on your own it means they want to see how quick you are at developing a charachter or idea. It is all very well to have something prepared but now they want to see how well you do on the spur of the momment.

I think i find improv more fun for an audition it is not so nerve wrecking also you must have something they want as they called you back so now you have to show them what else you can do.

And practise your improv skills i cant stress this enough.

Start working stories or characters or ideas get your brain moving in that way.

And be prepared for anything , i once did an improv where the guy told me to be JELLY! YES JELLY! . But i guess the character i was going for was a loose kind of laid person and maybe they wanted to see this represented in an unusual more physically extreme way. Remember to go with things and relax.

Learn to react if they give you a storyline and learn to cause reactions in others whether is is a dramatic storyline or a funny one.

The most important thing is to pay attention and listen.

If you are doing it on your own remember you still have to react to whatever situation is going on.

You will do great!!!

I hope this has helped in some way good luck.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

How did you get information about the audition in the first place?

I've been trying to get an agent, but no one is interested

Advertisement