Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of advice please?

Options
  • 15-05-2007 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I've had this idea floating around in my head for a while now and am trying to dial it down. I have wanted to get a tattoo for a number of years but couldnt think up anything that I was really happy with. However in a lecture this year one of our professors quoted us something and I thought a tattoo of that would really appeal to me. Now I know someone posted here a week back looking for some info on getting some blackwork done but I have a few questions. The work I was thinking of getting is this line from a play we studied its in Greek so bear with me(no I dont read Greek but its better than a chinese symbol right ?).
    Here it is:

οὐ γὰρ δοκεῖν ἄριστος, ἀλλ᾽ εἶναι θέλει

I was thinking of getting this written on my abdomen in simple black ink, maybe coming across from my lat. to my ab. muscles horizontally along my ribs or maybe vertically down from my armpit along my lat. I would like it as straight as possible though maybe even along the curve of my ribs might be good.
    The questions I have for someone with a bit of experience are as follows; Where (on my body not tattoo parlour) would be most conducive to a getting this written on my abdomen ?
    Who in dublin would be best at this sort of work?
    Whats the deal with getting into water/sun after the tattoo has been done? Is it just swimming pools because of the chemicals? I surf a bit so would the ocean be ok ?
    Also Im reasonably toned at the moment bodywise, what happens in 30 years and I'm a fat old man with a beard and a pint of guinness? Or does everyone who gets a tattoo have to deal with a bit of sagging/fattening?
    Any insight as to which way the tattoo would read? I know its up to me in the end but I would like some opinions so i can make a more informed decision. I also know the best way to sort out these questions would be to go to a tattoo artist and have them work out the plan with me but I'm in the middle of my exams and am taking a few mins out of studying to get some info so I can get at it some June.
    Sorry if these questions have been asked ad nauseum before.....:o
    Also I just wanted to ask WILL IT HURT* ?!!?!?:p

Again here are some photos to better conceptualise what I'm talkin bout
    photo?authkey=yqA0lTMrb9w#5064849353077607426
    photo?authkey=yqA0lTMrb9w#5064849357372574738

*I'm just yanking your crank, it most likely does hurt especially across the ribs and pain is subjective

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Exactly. Don't ever ask will it hurt again!!!!!!

best bet? Wait till after your exams, then plan it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Actually the edit was to add the photos, the asterix at the end was a little joke i thought up for you jaded mods ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Nice work, I like it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

What's with the accents on the Greek letters?

While I am no expert Professor I was under the impression that ancient Greek had accents. Especially that which is intended to be spoken like, for example, from a play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

Exar Khun wrote:
    While I am no expert Professor I was under the impression that ancient Greek had accents. Especially that which is intended to be spoken like, for example, from a play.

Weird, I'd never seen that before. But yes, you seem to be right.

http://www.ibiblio.org/koine/greek/lessons/alphabet.html

Sorry to bump this again, but whats the deal in terms of healing and going into water does that apply to all water? and how long do you have to wait if say you cover it up properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Whats the quote by the way? what greek play is it from ect?

It says "his resolve is not to seem the bravest, but to be" Its from Aeshcylus' Seven Against Thebes. I'm aware of the irony of using a quote that expounds quite confidence by emblazoning it on my torso but I love it.

Advertisement