Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple IP's on one port

Options
  • 15-05-2007 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

My hosting company has provided me with 10 ip's... they are all supplied to me through one port on their firewall. At the moment I have a static address on my router and then behind this a private network. It all works dandy when utilising one public ip... i now want to add in another system with a public ip seperate from my private network.

Should my router be able to supply multiple public ip's to the systems behind it?

Like could I set my router to *.*.*.10 and 2 systems to *.*.*.11/12 ?

Also this will not keep my two networks seperate?

Any other suggestions? A hub in front maybe? How would this normally be done... surely people are doing this every day...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Are you talking about a DMZ? For a quick and dirty pseudo-DMZ, you could put the host(s) with the public IPs in front of the router (using a hub/switch) if I've got the right end of the stick re. your addressing (I'm assuming you're only using the router for NAT?). This should be grand as long as you have control over the ruleset for the firewall interface you're behind.

Personally, I'd use a three-port firewall instead of that router.

Also: Smack the pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Cheers spud...

Yea basically I want the new system in the DMZ and yea the existing router is just used for NAT/basic firewall.

Would something like http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=307216 suit my needs? I'm a bit of a dud when it comes to networking... 3 ports means 3 possible seperate networks, right??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Looks like it would do the trick, but there's a cheaper NetGear that looks like it would be OK too.

If you have control over the border firewall port you're connecting through, you could save yourself the money and just put the 'DMZ' host outside of the NAT router.

Advertisement