Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamping

• 15-05-2007 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Hey!
    Has anyone else been clamped? I have! It's kinda looking like this is permanent. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

where you clamped today? whereabouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 drivealive

I thought perhaps the clampers had left us alone for exam time.Parked in front of the bike shed at pj carrols yesterday,had an exam to do and no spaces so it was forced on me,few other cars there too,was there 2 hours and nothing happened.....

On a related note,i hope the SU are doing something about this pay parking coming in October,ive been at dkit 4 years now,god knows how many dents and chips ive picked up from assholes you cant park straight beside me.Im not paying for a substandard car park.

Also thinking the other day how poor road markings are.No-one stops at pedestrain crossing,the car park at carrols(north facing exit)has no markings to indicate drivers should give way,just two weeks ago a clown in a polo(l plates)thought he'd pull out in front of me.The double yellow lines arent crossed at the ends either A LEGAL requirement of them!

Not to mention the ramps around the car park are nothing but a hazard,Watch people drive from in front of nurses building.They slow down to a crawl to get over bump,but to make up for this there straight on the pedals to speed up after....even though theyve to slow down in another 50m's for the next bump!

feck i forgot about the pay parking coming in, what way is that gonna work after spending 1st and 2nd year living in college heights i'll have to park my car there next year...

i should have a nice car by then though will be worried about prangs and scratches too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

over the year we have been discussing the pay parking issue and have been trying to do a fair bit about it. AFAIK it's inevitable but we are atleast trying to push the date back as far as we can. everyone is quick to jump on the 'the current SU prez is crap' but he did do a fair bit for the college, and he didn't just sit on his ass when things needed to be done. I wonder what this lad'll be like next year...

The Bollox wrote:
    over the year we have been discussing the pay parking issue and have been trying to do a fair bit about it. AFAIK it's inevitable but we are atleast trying to push the date back as far as we can. everyone is quick to jump on the 'the current SU prez is crap' but he did do a fair bit for the college, and he didn't just sit on his ass when things needed to be done. I wonder what this lad'll be like next year...

do you know any more about it though? price? how do you get a space? are they gonna use machines that give tickets? will 2nd 3rd years get preference over 1st years?

• Advertisement

afaik everyone will be sent an email a few weeks before it's implimented and after that it's up to yourself to sign up. I have no idea how much it's going to be, all I do know is the staff won't have to pay, they will be getting special plates! this is why they didn't back us up for the protests

i forgot about it, might have to reconsider living down there next year :rolleyes:

The Bollox wrote:
    everyone is quick to jump on the 'the current SU prez is crap' but he did do a fair bit for the college, and he didn't just sit on his ass when things needed to be done. I wonder what this lad'll be like next year...

The clamping needed to be stopped before it started....what did the SU do....wait till the clamping had begun before doing anything. And even still the clamping continues with no further word on halting it. IMHO the outgoing prez was hopeless,but i have no doubt the next one will be the same,its quite clear the wrong type of people run for these elections and no-one really cares,1262 actual votes of a possible 3600,nobody votes because nothing ever gets done.

Theres a very simple way to stop pay parking.....not pay it!
    If the SU can manage to organise a campaign of not paying then we'll all be fine,not enough clamps to go around,so dkit will break before the students.

And even if it cant be stopped,i heard 8 euro for 5 days parking or 2.50 a day.Doesnt seem much does it?well it is,many students are forced into working part time to support a car so they can get to college,adding to their costs will only had to strain and pressure on them.Dont forget the cost of fuel will have risen by september with the onset of winter anyway,im at college to learn,not to help them turn a profit!!!

drivealive you seem to know what your talking about, why dont you go to the su and say you want to start a campaign, you want there backing but you want to run it, cos I'd also agree that the SU prez even if he tried to do something would be hopeless.

your also correct about the voting system, its basically whoever has the most friends wins, its a joke and if i do go to vote i get hassled out of it by them campaigning on the way over there, ery annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I thought the payparking was going to be put off altogether because it was unsustainable for a college envionment or something. At least thats what that director lad Dennis Cummins said at the meeting in the whitaker theatre that was held around Xmas(was it xmas time), the open forum thing, any of ye attend?

Well, it was said then that the payparking wasnt coming in?? :confused: We havent been informed of anything yet? Are they gonna do the sneaky thing of installing it over the summer when we cant protest? No sign of the new carpark of 150 places being started either.

Thank christ next year is my last, its all money with them.

• Advertisement

i've actually started looking for a different college to finish my course in.....its gone that bad :D

Just downloaded the carparking faq off dkit homepage,It says pay parking starts October 2007.30cent per hour or 2 euro per day or 8euro for a week,pay parking is in place from 8am-6pm weekdays
    any car without a ticket is liable to be clamped.
    Also,users of disabled spaces dont have to pay(which IMHO is unfair)if their is a diability that means your unable to pay parking fees......i think i may have it!
    The staff car park will be free,but their isnt enough spaces in car park 1 for all staff so some of them will end up paying.And the proposed car park 9.....well it says "depending on resources available" so it prob wont be built in time,and if it was,150 spaces arent nearly enough!

And i dont know if its an error,but the FAQ says the clamping release fee will be 100euro....its only €50 now isnt it?Are they planning on raising it?

the max clamping release fee allowed by law is €90 euro so the faq cant be right, is there a date on the faq? it seems like it could be out of date because they were trying to charge €100 at the start of the clamping.

8 euro a week at roughly 30 weeks is €240, put that on top of petrol, tax and general maintenace and running costs of a car and thats alot of money students have to spend to just get to college!

The current clamping fee is E60? The signs still say E100/90, its a joke the whole thing. They dont even have the corretc fee displayed on their little signs.

Whats the point of the pay parking anyway? With clamping in operation, no one is parking illegally so everyone is parked nice and officially. So why should those that are in official spots now have to pay? Such a joke, the student union better do something about this BEFORE its brought in, not like the clamping fiasco.

And this thing of lecturers not having to pay is a complete joke too, why should they get free parking, lots of people have to pay to get to work. And even if the lecturers carpark is full and lecturers park in the pay spots they wont have to pay you can rest assured, as they will demand that once they have their little disk in their windscreen they dont have to pay. We better make a stand before this happens.

We should vandalise the pay meters when they`re installed, glue stuff into them all and then we cant be clamped as we couldnt pay. Money grabbing knobs!

Nuttzy wrote:
    The current clamping fee is E60? The signs still say E100/90, its a joke the whole thing. They dont even have the corretc fee displayed on their little signs.

Whats the point of the pay parking anyway? With clamping in operation, no one is parking illegally so everyone is parked nice and officially. So why should those that are in official spots now have to pay? Such a joke, the student union better do something about this BEFORE its brought in, not like the clamping fiasco.

And this thing of lecturers not having to pay is a complete joke too, why should they get free parking, lots of people have to pay to get to work. And even if the lecturers carpark is full and lecturers park in the pay spots they wont have to pay you can rest assured, as they will demand that once they have their little disk in their windscreen they dont have to pay. We better make a stand before this happens.

We should vandalise the pay meters when they`re installed, glue stuff into them all and then we cant be clamped as we couldnt pay. Money grabbing knobs!
    two wrongs don't make a right. vandalising the meters won't change anything for the better, all that will happen is the fees will rise to pay for the vandalised meters

The Bollox wrote:
    two wrongs don't make a right. vandalising the meters won't change anything for the better, all that will happen is the fees will rise to pay for the vandalised meters

Well NCPS will completly control the pay parking and they would of had to agree to a certain max charge for parking before exchanging contracts with DKIT,so if the meters do get damaged i cant imagine them being able to raise fees to recoup costs.

I know inside the town centre where pay parking operates if the machine is broke your expected to find another or youll be ticketed.So broken meters wont work......im telling you the best think is to organise that no-one pays,We are the body of the college,everything that happens happens around us.If we group together to say no then we can stop this.
    Its election time,the SU should be trying to get some politician to throw his weight in.Get some publicity on the point.How many people who put DKIT down on their CAO forms realise theyll be charged for atttending college.Not many i'd say.

P.S does anyone know if the hotel will have its own parking?Because if they do,and they dont charge its going to be over run with students parking,and if they do,and they charge more than dkit then well be over run with peeps staying in hotel.

yeh breaking or vandalising is not the answer at all.

its a good question why pay parking is coming in as well as clamping??

clamping has done its job in stopping cars parking illegally so why is there a need for pay parking?

is the money going to be used to build better more effecient car parking? even if it is i dont care it wont be built by the time i leave the place!

if staff take up spaces that are for students they definetly should be clamped if they get away with that it is completely unfair to students.

as for trying to stop it, its probably not possible is it? i mean there gonna bring it in whatever what the students do, a compromise is probably a more likely goal, but i dont know what sort of compromise? its gonna be a pain in the ass anyway

Well, I drive from 23miles away so theres no way ill be paying to park in there on top of petrol costs, etc.. I also dont get a grant and pay E800 capitation fees a year, so they get enough out of me.

They`ll have some neck to charge pay parking if the extra promised 150 "free" spaces arent built for october as the Director Dennis Cummins promised they would be when he was trying to get us protestors to surrender. I think the carrols carpark and the proposed new 150 spaces are to remain free even in the pay paring system? Think i read that at some stage, i could be mistaken though. I must have another read of that plan they sent us.

Ill just be doing what i end up doing this year anyway, parking outside my mates house in Rockfield and walking over.

If we vandalise all the pay meters they cant say we should have used a different one. Ive no faith in student union protests after that clamping farce and the way they dealt with that so ill not be putting much hope in the student union to do anything constructive with the payparking. The union should be talking to us right now before we leave for summer about the proposed plans and what they are and want us to do about it. But they`re not telling us anything so the same thing is going to happen, they`ll wait until the meters are installed and then organise a protest that is bound to fail, all this needs to be done before installation. Them student unions are the biggest waste of time in my opinion, bunch of numpty`s looking for a doss year and dont want to have to do anything. They should all be done away with.

Im going to break all the meters 1 of the nights with a few mates, ill happily break them all, no point breaking 1 or 2 as they`ll just clamp folk and say they should have used a working meter, well when they`re all broke the night before that excuse wont work.

Off topic - Hey Draffodx, i see your looking for an Itr, any joy? how will your insurance fair out. Im getting an Sir myself during the summer, all the type r models seem to be very hard to insure at the moment.

probably not the best idea to be writing up here that your gonna break the law, it'll probably be used against you in the criminal proceedings :)

yeh i'm at a loss as to what could be done within the law, the SU will more than likely be useless, the college will more than likely screw us over and we'll all be broke.

how about sending something to all the newspapers now asking them to highlight it? if students know they'll have to pay to park then they might think twice of goin to dkit, that would put a dent in dkit's wallet a bit?
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Off topic - Hey Draffodx, i see your looking for an Itr, any joy? how will your insurance fair out. Im getting an Sir myself during the summer, all the type r models seem to be very hard to insure at the moment.

pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

still need to prove it was him! its only circumstantial evidence at best...

plus seeing this *I* could decide to vent my anger at DKIT parking metres knowing that the other guy would be suspect..

just remember about security cameras..

• Advertisement
Advertisement