Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Girlfriend

Options
  • 15-05-2007 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi guys.Just recently came across this forum.

I recently hooked up with an american girl afew months back when she was on holidays here.we have since formed a great relationship and she wants to move over here to Ireland.It seems it is a minefield to achieve!

She is trying to transfer colleges to UCD and should not shortly.What are the other options does anyone know? I know she can get a three month visa fairly handy but in the longterm that is no use as im guessing you can only get so many of them in a certain period.I read that if youre working in the medical or IT sector you can get working visas otherwise its a no go :mad: ?

It seems after three months of a tourist visa she can declare alien status to a gardai station but then she cant work for five years and probably cant go home for visits in that period,am I correct in this asumption?

Marriage is of course an option but from what I have read she has to be in the country for at least a year to get married and 3 out of the last 4 years here to get citzenship,so by that reckoning she couldnt work either for a long time when shes married here?

Obviously i have little or no chance to get into the USA and anyway she wants to live here!If anyone has any tips or other suggestions I would be most gratefull.Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

addicted wrote:
    Marriage is of course an option but from what I have read she has to be in the country for at least a year to get married and 3 out of the last 4 years here to get citzenship,so by that reckoning she couldnt work either for a long time when shes married here?

She doesn't have to be in the country for a year, my American wife came to Ireland on a regular tourist visa for 3 months, we applied for marriage and since you've got to give 3 months notice we then had to apply for an extension to her visa which we recieved no problem from the local immigration officer. She can work straight away btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭addicted

Music to my ears mate :).

Thank you very much.Looks like I might be purchasing a ring soon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I am sure though that if you tried other methods they may well work too, when reading up on it on the net it always seems like its going to be impossible, but its not often that way. Some of the information going around can be a bit misleading.

Marriage was in our minds for a long time so it seemed like the right thing to do anyway, we never tried anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 botvot

Hi there

I am not a US citizen, but South African married to an EU citizen, and had to read a lot about these situations. I can recommend the following website, and you can even ask questions that will be answered 'in due course' :) They did answer me in about 2 weeks, which isn't bad at all:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland

Good luck!

Advertisement