Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second hard drive not recognised...

• 15-05-2007 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I just put in my new hard drive there a couple hours ago and Vista wont recognise it:mad:
    It is a WDC sata2 500gb.
    Bios can see it and so can computer managment but still it does not show up in 'my computer' nor can I access it??
    (In computer management it comes up as unallocated??)
    Anyone know what's going on??
    Cheers guys

PS. Not sure if this qualifies to be in 'Building & Upgrading' or 'Computers & Technology' so tried the former:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If you can see it in Disk Manager as unallocated then alt+click on it and partition it. You can then format it and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Hey extra,
    alt=click is unresponsive...

Right click just brings about the options of 'properties and help'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As pointed out by extra-ordinary_ you just need to partition and format it. As I don't use Vista I don't know what extra restrictions they have put in place to make it awkward for you to do this. There should be a partition/format option somewhere in the Disk Manager in Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If your in Disk Management has the drive been given a number - Disk 1, 2 etc?

Thanks!
    yup my primary disk is 0 and my new hdd is 1
    Partition style is gpt?? GUID Partition table?
    EDIT: No option to partition and/or format jumping out at me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

GPT is a partition format used by Windows on Itanium systems or systems that use EFI instead of the bios.

This drive was obviously in such a system at one point which is why you cannot format it as it uses a version of Windows which is well alien to the one you know.

If the option is present select Convert to MBR Disk which will turn it into the file format compatible with x86 Windows.

If the option isn't there open a command prompt and type "diskpart"

select the hard drive you want to work on by typing "select disk 1"

now type "convert mbr" & press enter and it should convert the drive into a regular partition type which you can then format assign driver letter etc.

{ignore the quotes just for highlighting}

Hi 8t8
    hmmm I have a distinct feeling I may have rushed an option for that?
    Not sure tho......
    Okay just went through all options and didn't come across any conversion...

Okay I got the HDD formatted etc but never converted to MBR..
    Will this matter or can I use away without any hassle??
    Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If Windows can read the drive in disk management and format it as NTFS then it should be okay.

In that case thanks for your help!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement