Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgy Copy of Windows

• 15-05-2007 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I've a PC in here to be repaired and i've noticed that the copy of windows isn't a valid one. Now it's a Dell PC with a genuine XP Pro key on it. My guess is someone reinstalled windows on it at some stage in the past and didn't use the right disks. I thought i'd seen somewhere that microsoft had an app to change the product key on an existing install? Anyone got a link to it? I can't find it on the Microsoft website. it'd save me having to wipe the drive and start again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

There's a vbscript that does it here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874
    Works for volume license editions... not sure about other versions.
    Might be a starting point anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

you should try to get a dell re-install cd, that will probably fix the original problem and the liscence problem, and you can watch tv while its running:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Someone probably ran an "unattended" XP installation with a key already entered, which of course does not pertain to your computer. Not a big deal. You dont even need the patch, just call M$ and get them to activate over the phone. Takes about 2mins tops. You may be instructed to enter the correct KEY from the COA from the side of your machine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

in addition to the above
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml will tell you the current key on the install and allow you to change it, you might even be able to activate it with the key on the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

All fixed now. I installed the Genuine Advantage notification which picked up on the fact that the wrong key was present. It brought me to a microsoft page that had the app for changing the key. Then all I had to do was ring the activation line and get the digits needed off the rep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement