Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography course

Options
  • 15-05-2007 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37 quacks

I'm pretty confused about this and trying to study the subject is wrecking my head, there is a huge volume of info in the three books, surely not all of it needs to be known? I'm doing the Economic Activities and Global Interdependence electives (plus "Our Dynamic World" core book)

Our class consisted of simply reading the books right through once, nothing else, so half the stuff just went in one ear out the other, especially wehn we have never been given any homework. The geo mocks were a good kick so the last few weeks I've been doing a fair bit of study.

Can the physical enviro' and regional stuff be narrowed down much?
    What about the electives?
    Is this all thats needed for the regional: India, Mezzogiorno + a contrast(where?, didn't do),BMW and south/east, Sembre Meuse (sp?).
    No clue about physical/elec'.

Sorry about all these questions, I know it's not anyones duty here to fill me in but any info at all would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

region:

Irish region e.g BMW
    Eurpoean Region e.g Mezzigornio
    Non-European Region e.g India/South West Usa

Learn them all very well. Especially listing the reasons that make them regions.

Physical Geography - Be able to identify any feature from a diagram/photo/map, be able to draw any feature, and describe it, 2 points about its formation. And have an example of every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Its all about preparing for specific questions that are likely to come up:

(1) Physical- Knowing different landforms, processes. That Q is a cert to appear. Also human interference with coasts, rivers etc.

(2) Regional- Know the types of regions and be able to identify them. Prepare your chosen regions well and you shouldnt have any problem there.

(3) Economic elective- Know about MNCs, colonisation and EU policies and you should be sorted for that.

(4) Geoecology- Again theres only so much they can ask. I'm fairly sure Human interference will appear but just prepare a few questions to be sure.

Remember this is only the 2nd year of the new syllabus so they are unlikely to push the boat out too much with tricky questions. Though I could be proved wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

The revise wise geography book I find is good, covers everything in condensed form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well what im guna do is

1)Learn everything about plate tectonics, all landforms that can result etc

Completely Ignore rivers and junk

2) Learn west of Ireland, learn Dublin, learn scania and mezz. and india.

3) elective.....ill just have to have a glance over that and hope for the best

4) Learn off a few biome essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

quacks wrote:
    I'm pretty confused about this and trying to study the subject is wrecking my head, there is a huge volume of info in the three books, surely not all of it needs to be known? I'm doing the Economic Activities and Global Interdependence electives (plus "Our Dynamic World" core book)

Our class consisted of simply reading the books right through once, nothing else, so half the stuff just went in one ear out the other, especially wehn we have never been given any homework. The geo mocks were a good kick so the last few weeks I've been doing a fair bit of study.

Can the physical enviro' and regional stuff be narrowed down much?
    What about the electives?
    Is this all thats needed for the regional: India, Mezzogiorno + a contrast(where?, didn't do),BMW and south/east, Sembre Meuse (sp?).
    No clue about physical/elec'.

Sorry about all these questions, I know it's not anyones duty here to fill me in but any info at all would be really appreciated. Thanks.

You need contrasting regions in Ireland: BMW(Periphery) and the South and East (Core)

You need contrasting regions in Europe eg Mezogiorno(Periphery) Plain of Lombardy(Core) and /or Wallonia(includes the Sambre Meuse Coal mining)(Periphery, region in industrial decline) Flanders(Core, region defined by culture) etc

You need one Subcontinental region eg India

For physical you should get away with knowing plate tectonics, rocks and possibly folding/faulting. But its a risk. The idea of the new course is to move away from predictability so you never know how they'll mix and match topics.

For the economic elective officially you need A developed economy (eg Spain) a developing economy, that used to be colonised (eg Uganda), MNCs, Globalisation, The EU, and Environmental Impact MNCs and economic prosperity. You could get away with leaving out Spain or Uganda I'd say.. but then again you cant be sure.

For the Geoecology option, know the Biome and know soil characteristics and you should be alright.

Get a rapid revision book. It covers the stuff quite well. Also try go through an exercise book if you have one. (although some questions will be irrelevant)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 quacks

Thanks for that info all, clears it up a bit for me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

actually for landforms can u get away with knowing any two? eg waterfall and v-shaped valley?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Well what im guna do is

1)Learn everything about plate tectonics, all landforms that can result etc

Completely Ignore rivers and junk

I'm sorry, are we not trying to help him get through the exam? What you've proposed is akin to tying concrete blocks to your body and jumping into the rivers you're idiotically not studying! How in God's name can you honestly plan to neglect them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

a contrast to the mezzogiorno would be a core region such as the paris basin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

actually for landforms can u get away with knowing any two? eg waterfall and v-shaped valley?

yes definitely. but you would be better off doing one feature of erosion and one deposition(such as deltas) incase they specified, although i dont think they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

You could but risky, for example last year a diagram came up of coastal landforms and then a question saying choose a landform you have studied excluding the ones above, so if you had prepared coastal, bugger.

Do Coastal and River Landforms and you'll be as safe as houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

In rivers study meanders (and one or two other landforms)as thats an erosion AND deposition landform and isnt any more complicated than most landforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

He can ignore rivers if he wants. If you look at the papers, question 1 tends to be plate tectonics, question 2 rivers/coasts/glaciation and question 3 the rock cycle/faulting blahh.

If he ignores question 2, and plate tectonics doesn't come up (not very likely to happen), then he still has question 3 to fall back on, so what's the problem?

Personally, concentrating on rivers and glaciation (coasts came up last year) and volcanoes/earthquakes and plate tectonics.

Am I the only one doing culture/identity as the option??

If geoecology has annoying questions I have Culture/idendity as a back up.(mainly cause its the most interesting one to me)

He can ignore rivers if he wants. If you look at the papers, question 1 tends to be plate tectonics, question 2 rivers/coasts/glaciation and question 3 the rock cycle/faulting blahh.

There has only been one paper and one sample paper to go by!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

What? There's about 8 sample papers! And really, what else can they ask? Isostasy??

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

mathew wrote:
    There has only been one paper and one sample paper to go by!!

Thank you! Bit of sense, at last. There's one past paper, and only ONE genuine (ie department) sample paper. Rivers are an important topic, and hardly the hardest one on the course. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

*sigh* I wish I did geography. Its probably too late now... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

DO NOT AVOID RIVERS, its possibly the easiest part on the course. U need to know the stages of river, the processes of the rivers, and 2 formations. (or if you do coasts / glaciers vise versa)

I find regional geog the toughest, i never really know if im getting in enough SRP's into the answer, and sometimes tend to write the wrong stuff.

Geoecology shud be a banker of at least 70/80. There's only so much they can ask (probably about 6 questions at most) and you should be able to learn the points off easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

could somone just clarify this for me? for a 30 mark question, do u need 9 or 12 SRP's? one teacher told me 9, the other told me 12.

• Advertisement

Thank you! Bit of sense, at last. There's one past paper, and only ONE genuine (ie department) sample paper. Rivers are an important topic, and hardly the hardest one on the course. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to cover it.

Yes I am going to compeltely ignore rivers, how can I possibly do it? Its quite simple, I'll just not study it and put my remainding time to rock cycle + plate tectonics. Your telling me that a question that on either of those 2 ive mentioned wont come up?

blondie07 wrote:
    could somone just clarify this for me? for a 30 mark question, do u need 9 or 12 SRP's? one teacher told me 9, the other told me 12.

12 as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

sternn wrote:
    DO NOT AVOID RIVERS, its possibly the easiest part on the course. U need to know the stages of river, the processes of the rivers, and 2 formations. (or if you do coasts / glaciers vise versa)

I find regional geog the toughest, i never really know if im getting in enough SRP's into the answer, and sometimes tend to write the wrong stuff.

Geoecology shud be a banker of at least 70/80. There's only so much they can ask (probably about 6 questions at most) and you should be able to learn the points off easily.
    I find it odd you find regional hardest. I found regional the easiest on my exam because the SRPs were obvious to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I suppose its just theres so much to learn in each region, and to remember facts nd stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

shazzyshaz wrote:
    a contrast to the mezzogiorno would be a core region such as the paris basin.

Wouldnt the plain of Lombardy be easier as you can talk about the industrial triangle mumbojumbo.

Plus they are both Italian so it wouldnt be a tedious example to use.

What? There's about 8 sample papers! And really, what else can they ask? Isostasy??

Those other sample papers are made by Folens and Edco and other companies. Their handy for practice but are by no means an indicator as to what is going to come up!

dont put too much on sample papers. Im not sure about Geography but some unofficial biology papers have stuff you dont need.

Also does anyone here find once they start writing they cant stop and end up writing reams of stuff and still end up having enough time. Althought that may be just due to the short questions where theres plenty of time to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'm beginning to fear Geo, everyone has such high expectations, everyone thinks their gonna get a B, but i think that this years paper is going to much tougher. I would advise indepth learning of the Physical stuff.

And practice your essays on Global Warming or Biome.

Read up on your regional stuff quite indepthly.

I'm beginning to fear Geo, everyone has such high expectations, everyone thinks their gonna get a B, but i think that this years paper is going to much tougher. I would advise indepth learning of the Physical stuff.

And practice your essays on Global Warming or Biome.

Read up on your regional stuff quite indepthly.

So basicly know the whole course!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

12 as far as i know
    12x2=24
    example = 2
    cohesion = 4

30 in total. I think thats how it is anyway

Advertisement