Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost Oppurtunities

• 15-05-2007 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭

Have you ever seen WWE put out story lines that excited you and then left you feeling like they dropped the ball on it?. All before Wrestlemania I thought the big climax for Wrestlemania would be Kennedy winning the Money in the Bank and then in the last match Taker winning the title and retaining his streak at Mania only for Kennedy to cash in his Money in the Bank to cost Taker his streak and the title in the one night. Thought it would be a fitting end to Takers career as most good wrestlers go out on their backs and he's gotta be heading for the exit. Any other storylines that went bust and you felt they could of done much more with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The 24/7 hardcore championship should never have been taken away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Klept0

Ah man those were awesome times, I loved that championship never got bored of watching those matches (Big Show pinning someone against a wall? ;D).

The royal rumble winners often made me think that others could have done better with the win (although I always loved the match itself).

But yeah definitely the hardcore title!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wompa1 wrote:
    Any other storylines that went bust and you felt they could of done much more with?

Off the top of my head one which really pissed me off was how badly they dropped the ball with Christian in mid-2005. He was insanely over at that point, so much so that they had to dub in crowd noise when they did a Raw show in England because when he wrestled the crowd were siding with him. And Batista was very over at that time.

A Christian/Cena match had been talked about for a long time but they really dropped the ball with it by making it a throwaway triple threat match with Chris Jericho involved. Then they sent Christian to Smackdown and put him in the US title mix. It was quite amazing considering at the time he was one of their highest merchandise sellers.

Of course had he been built like Lashley they would have pushed him to the moon. It's stuff like that which angers me every time I hear them bitch about not having the stars they used to have. That's because in the old days they listened to who the fans got behind whereas nowadays they tell the fans who to get behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

If you're talking about pure storylines the Invasion angle is probably the main one. Unless guys like Flair, Nash, Sting, Steiner, Goldberg were going to part of it no one could take it anyway seriously. I did like the idea of the angle and I overall I did enjoy it but WWE dropped the ball completely by not ensuring some of the talent I mentioned were on the Alliance side.

If you're talking about how WWE dropped the ball with talent, two words - Chris Jericho...... any maybe add RVD, Christian and Matt Hardy to that list.

The Nation of Domination was ended too early I thought. Used to love D-lo Brown and his antics.

I also wished Hurrikane ( the Hurricane and Kane's tag team) lasted longer. That and Bookdust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I think its safe enough to say that RVD dropped the ball himself when he got busted for possession. Granted it took the WWE years to even begin his push but he was about to take off, had 2 heavyweight titles and then he got busted.

I would have liked to have seen Matt Hardy put up a better showing against Edge when he returned. That one could have went on for ages. Hopefully they might feud again soon???

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Has to be GTV,or to a lesser extent the Fake Kane storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

All throughout 2005 Edge was Mr MITB. Previous to this, he was forever whinging that he was being overlooked etc. During 2005 he recieves the odd title shot, but loses due to his own cockiness everytime. He choses his moment to cash in - once the EC has risen after NYR 06. Cena, having just won a gruelling match is there for the taking. Edge comes to the ring. Spears Cena, and parades around the ring, not covering him immediately. Cena regains the composure for a roll up, and therefore retaining twice in one night.

Edge is livid, and demands a spot in the Royal Rumble, which he duly wins. The build up to WM is an intense fued between babyface Cena, and the by now tweener Edge, leading into a main event which actually means something - Cena defending his title which he has held for a year now, and Edge, the one who always falls short.

No matter how that main event played out, its gold. A Cena win sends Edge over the edge (sorry), into some sort of wild psycho rather than the Rated R Superstar, and the feud can go on. Or an Edge win, where it is a true WM moment, that the guy who worked so hard eventually won the big one after working his ass off. Of course this requires a face turn, briefly perhaps, but it would matter little, as that would have been a far better Mania main event than the crap were served last year (build up wise I mean.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The invasion angle in 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Has to be GTV,or to a lesser extent the Fake Kane storyline.

lol @ gtv, i remember that. did they ever find out who it was?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I agree with mr nice guy---and it pissed me off too---the way they let christian fall away. It's crazy how they let that happen. He is good on the mic, he can wrestle and he can make any story line great.

Monday night RAW 14/05/07----what are they trying to do to( BLANK )?????---I hated this weeks RAW. Some story lines wwe do are bad. Rob Conway is another guy that could have been something.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

dlofnep wrote:
    lol @ gtv, i remember that. did they ever find out who it was?

It was supposed to be Goldust (they named it GDTV at one stage) but then just pulled the plug on the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Edges' first title reign could have been a lot longer.

Opportunity missed there. Could have taken a lot of the heat off Cena by having him chase the title instead of holding it. He would still have been a main eventer and they still would have sold a lot of merchandise.

The return of the NWO was a waste because everyone knew Scott Hall was a liability at that stage.

Rey winning the rumble and being world champion was a waste. You can't believe in a champ that just gets destroyed every week. The giant killer angle he had in WCW was far more effective and didn't require him holding a title.

Bret Hart in WCW. Never used properly.

Raven in WWE. Never used properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Bubs101 wrote:
    The 24/7 hardcore championship should never have been taken away
    About a week or two ago I mentioned on this forum that I think the Hardcore title should be reinstated on the ECW brand seeing as they only have one belt on the show. It would be fitting with their image and it would also mean that ECW would have something on their show that neither SD or RAW have to offer.

I felt the 'fake Kane' storyline could have been alot better. I jus imagined a massive feud culminating in an inferno match between the two with the real Kane getting his face burned forcing him to have to use his mask again

The Invasion angle could have been so much better too. As was mentioned above, for something like that to be taken seriously, you're gonna need WCW's biggest stars taking part and not the likes Booker T being the leader of WCW. Nothing against Booker but at the time we were all hoping to see Hogan, Nash, Goldberg etc.

I'm really dissapointed about the Christian thing. I was actually a mark for the guy at the time when he nearing the end of his stay on RAW. That guy could have made WWE alot of money but unfortunately his body mass wasn't to Vince's liking. Pissed off about that.

Theres actually loads of stuff that im sure I could think of but I had a few drinks last night and I can't think straight right now. I'll write more some other time.

I was really pissed off when they got rid of hassan. He was making great progress and was the perfect heal to Kurts all american nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

Bubs101 wrote:
    I was really pissed off when they got rid of hassan. He was making great progress and was the perfect heal to Kurts all american nonsense

I reckon Hassan was the fecking best character the wwe ever had. I loved when that guy took the mic. Of all the men/ women in wwe history to ever put a mic to their mouth, i reckon Hassan was the best. To top Hassan would be out of this world.

Vince did not want to get rid of him. it was a pity he was made get rid of him. American security got it wrong, it was the wwe Hassan that was trying to bring peace to the USA and the world, not Bush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I loved the way Hassan was often reasonable in his points, yet JR would shout borderline racist things at him. Americans don't seem to get irony though

The only other lost opportunity I can think of would be revealing Rikishi as the guy who knocked down Austin. I think it was a bit of a let down for most fans, and didn't really work out in the end. Could have been better served to elevate a mid-card heel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Wompa1 wrote:
    Have you ever seen WWE put out story lines that excited you and then left you feeling like they dropped the ball on it?. All before Wrestlemania I thought the big climax for Wrestlemania would be Kennedy winning the Money in the Bank and then in the last match Taker winning the title and retaining his streak at Mania only for Kennedy to cash in his Money in the Bank to cost Taker his streak and the title in the one night. Thought it would be a fitting end to Takers career as most good wrestlers go out on their backs and he's gotta be heading for the exit. Any other storylines that went bust and you felt they could of done much more with?

at this stage takers winning streak ar wrestle mania will probably never end, that is if he has another wrestle maina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

About a week or two ago I mentioned on this forum that I think the Hardcore title should be reinstated on the ECW brand seeing as they only have one belt on the show. It would be fitting with their image and it would also mean that ECW would have something on their show that neither SD or RAW have to offer.
    agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Well one is Micheals vs Taker after royal rumble this year, Thought that would have been a great feud at wrestlemania but i suppose their is still time to do it again. I'd agree with Matt hardy too. Also i guess Jericho might still be around if he were put in the title picture for longer. D-X should never have been brought back but at the time was a good idea.

• Advertisement

I think that in cyber sunday,the WWE should have rigged the poll for the match type between Batista and the Coach. For those that don't remember, the options were arm wrestle, debate or no holds barred match to settle their feud. Personnally, I would have loved to see the debate, even if they made Batista win, it would have been unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Rigging, if they did that and got exposed.....they would lose viewers Bubs...

It would be worth it to see a Coachman, Batista political style debate. And all of wrestling is rigged

Advertisement