Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military structure

Options
  • 15-05-2007 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any decent book recommendations on the subject of structure and organisation, looking for books covering history and development.
    In particular Napoleonic, WW1, WW2 and modern changes.

I think its about time i got some good references on this, things like the British use of the name regiment for everything from a battalion sized tactical regiment up to an entire arm (Royal Arty.) and then theres the admin regiments, im looking for a clear reference on how this came about.
    The change from Square to Triangular.
    Continental vs. Commonwealth systems.
    Changes in ranks and responsibilites etc.
    The multitude of acronyms for staffs and staff members that i cant remember the meaning of which i have to look up every time i come across them.
    RCTs, BCTs etc.

I havent come across any good books, all my limited knowledge comes from Tables and paragraphs in books, but these dont show the big picture.

Anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Aren't there those Osprey books you see every now and again, slim yokes with titles like "British Army of World War II", "French Army in Indo China", etc? I would imagine they would have what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Looking for something in more detail, i can get TO/Es for most units from my own books or on the web, im looking for an overview of how the different systems evolved and something like a military acronym dictionary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

kowloon wrote:
    Looking for something in more detail, i can get TO/Es for most units from my own books or on the web, im looking for an overview of how the different systems evolved and something like a military acronym dictionary.

http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/doddict/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Legend :D

Advertisement