Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rifle shooter

Options
  • 15-05-2007 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi, I shoot a shotgun but have recently aquired a .22 CZ. Im trying to get to grips with it. Can anyone tell me where I can get the barrel threaded, I have a moderator to go on it(North County Dublin). Also whats the difference with the ammo? I was shooting bang on with high velocity rounds and I bought some "hypervelocity" yellow jacket hollow points that appear to shoot much higher at 100yards. Does this sound right???

Comments

.22lr is subsonic so will drop faster, however its the most accurate .22 ammo that you can probably get (unless you barrel doesn't like it)
    .22 supersonic packs more of a punch, and will shoot higher as it won't drop as fast. However, you loose accuracy but gain power.
    Never heard of hyper velocity, but I presume its just another step up from .22hv.

Main thing is to find ammo that will do whatever it is that you want it to, and that your barrel will like.

Don't know about the mod, but from mates I have heard that its kinda pointless using a mod with .22hv ammo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

22LR (.22 Long rifle) is available in a wide variety of both High Velocity and subsonic ammo.

Within both types there are many different brands and bullet weights, and they
    will all shoot to a slightly different point of impact (POI) .

Get a small quantity of as many types as possible and see which ones give you the smallest cluster of shots. Call that one your favorite and zero the rifle for it.
    From then on, if possible stick to that specific brand ,type and bullet weight.

Every time you change to a different type , brand , weight ..you will usually need to make some small adjustment to your sights. Even different batches of the same ammo varies in this way.

Hyper velocity rounds like the old Remington yellow jackets and CCi stingers will shoot higher , In most guns I have tried them in they also group worse than regular .22LR High velocity stuff.

For treading the barrel , ask your firearms dealer .

With regard to the sound moderator , you may be required to get a permit from the Gardaí for that . Not a big deal , but better to ask first.
    It only really works with subsonic ammo anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

Alan
    here's a good site on 22ammo.

http://www.22ammo.com/remington.html

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I was doing some zeroing last night, with 2 batches of ammo, Lapua Super Club .22Lr 320m/s and Winchester Super-X .22Lr HV HP.390 m/s.
    My conclusion was that the subsonic lapua grouped a lot better than the Winchester with almost no flyers.
    speed of sound is ~340m/s depending on humidity.
    I have found that the hypervelocity stuff is definately less accurate than the HV stuff. All depends on what you are doing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

I find that winchester laser best in my CZ as hv round. Lapua club as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Very helpfull, thanks. Ill zero the scope to these (remmington yellow jackets) and use them up. Im just messing around with targets at the moment and primarily want to hunt bunnies and vermin. Once I get it threaded ill pick a sub sonic round and stick with it.

Advertisement