Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

necklace bought in dunnes

Options
  • 15-05-2007 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

hey I just wanted to see if anone knows where I stand on this. I bought a necklace from dunnes a few weeks back. it's a blue pendant on a blue rope chain. the clasp is one of the ones where it has mulpitple loops so you can shorten/lenghten it. I wore it for about 1/2hr one day. a while later I was looking in the mirror and saw that some of the rope had come lose from the clasp and was falling out. I took it off after this. I went into dunnes the next day. i had the necklace about 1 week at this stage. i went to the customer care desk but the girl said she couldnt refund me. i asked for the manger. the manager said it wasnt their fault as it was obvious the chain had been pulled at. now i know for a fact it hadn't been pulled or tugged. i told her this and she refused saying it must have been pulled. i was not accepting this and the girl took the braclet and filled out a form. she said it would be sent to their HO and i would hear back form them. this was about 2-3 weeks ago and i havent heard anything back. just wondering what my rights are regarding faulty products? it looked ok when i bough it but didnt last at all. since i wore it does it take away my rights? i know i did nothing that would make it fall apart and i'm a bit mad at the manager for suggesting it was m fault. it was €6 so i'm not that upset about it.
    thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Well it was 6E....were you expecting it to last forever? (or even realistically more than a few wears?) Shops are required to refund faulty items but it was grand when you bought it and they can just argue that you pulled too hard on a cheap clasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Faerie - you should expect it not to break after half an hour of wearing it.

Cacio - that's disappointing. My friend got me a necklace in Urban Outfitters for my birthday, it was nearly 40 euro and it broke the second time I wore it - the pendant was severed from the chain it was attached to, it was a design defect IMO - I didn't expect them to exchange it without a fight from me as I had no receipt, but the guy just told me to pick another or one to the same value. It's bad to see Dunnes can't have the same good customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

While I do agree that their response is a bit shabby, 6euro - forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

chump wrote:
    While I do agree that their response is a bit shabby, 6euro - forget about it.

Why can't Dunnes just say its 6euro forget about it! Necklace was broken they should replace I would think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Simply write to them and say that you and your family will continue to shop in other stores whilst this issue is unresolved.

And also thank them for their continued delay and stubborness over a €6 badly manufactured necklace as you had not shopped in Tesco for a while and was surprised with both tesco's range of products & excellent prices.

Then simply forget about it and shop elsewhere in future - even if they do finally refund the €6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

dubsgirl wrote:
    Why can't Dunnes just say its 6euro forget about it! Necklace was broken they should replace I would think....

Can't be doing that now. Where's the cutoff point of saying "it's not cheap enough to replace just to keep someone happy"

Their HO will look at it (and they have 6 weeks from the day you brought it in until the day you get your remedy), and if it was faulty, will probably replace it, and give you some vouchers for the inconvenience

Advertisement