Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wot type of life wud we live if we didnt live in faith?

• 16-05-2007 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

im not making any statments here just specking my mind and tauts at this moment, shi ts mad like when ya think about it,

jus wanna hear wot people think about it or if they do

wot type of life wud we live if we didnt live in faith? in hope of someting? hope of growing up to be a man or women,hope of getting a good job hope of having a good life!! if we gave up hope we wouldnt be arse'd and wud just give up on life!!!!

but we live in hope,

the hope of an after life so the big picture is we are all living to die, and by dying we move on to the after life.

like was god created to be that hope in order to keep people alive.. in there lifetime,

like when ya realise ur gonna die some day, u cud be like dam im not gonna work so hard cuz it will all be gone... but if i have faith i wont die ill jus move on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Your post would be easier to follow if you used proper spelling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The real world?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Deano045

simu wrote:
    Your post would be easier to follow if you used proper spelling...

sorry didnt know proper spelling was needed:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

are you implying that people who don't have faith just give up on life and drop out?

i think you're overestimating both the importance of faith in a supreme being as well as the amount of people who share similar beliefs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I don't believe in a fairytale afterlife, or a magical invisible sky wizard, yet I live a relatively fulfilled life. You don't need 'faith' to have a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I'll assume that by faith, you mean a belief in an unprovable God/Deity.

Well, there are many people who get by just fine without believing in the faeries at the bottom of the garden.

If I'm asked to believe something to be true, I'll also be needing a good helping of facts and evidence.

Being 99% sure that this life is the only one we're ever going to live doesn't cause people to give up. It has the opposite effect. Because I won't accept without proof that an afterlife exists, you would have an extremely hard time convincing me to sacrifice my life as a suicide bomber. However, if a person believes that by blowing themselves up in the name of Allah, they will gain access to a special place reserved for martyrs full of young virgins for the sole pleasure of the martyr, they are much more likely to opt out of this "transient life" and take the fast train to the virgin garden.

Please don't assume that everyone shares your 'faith'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tzetze wrote:
    Well, there are many people who get by just fine without believing in the faeries at the bottom of the garden.

Don't be so facetious; nobody's talking about faeries at the end of the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Slow coach wrote:

I was merely pre-empting the argument that although God can't be proven, he can similarly not be dis-proven. It's in this regard that a supernatural Deity is comparable to faeries at the bottom of the garden.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Slow coach wrote:

to alot of people on the parnormal forum, the idea that there are faeries at the end of their garden is just as uncontroversial as the idea of a god overseeing all elemtents of the universe and life is to christians, muslims, jews, etc etc etc.
    They also have faith, they just don't have the popular faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

a global dictatorship, ruled by the iron fist of Richard Dawkins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭banaman

Not sure it's possible for us to be human without faith.

I don't mean faith in God/supreme being etc, I mean that we can never know with 100% certainty any outcome of any situation.

Experience may teach us that if A happens then B will follow but we have NO CONCLUSIVE proof. Ergo we live in, or by, faith at all times.

We don't know, and cannot prove that the sun will rise tomorrow but we assume it will on the basis that it always has.

But we can't prove it always has. We just make believe.

Life's a gas. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Deano045 wrote:
    ... so the big picture is we are all living to die, and by dying we move on to the after life.

Sounds like a mind-numbingly small picture to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭skeptic griggsy

:) As psychologist Albert Ellis would say, it is "mustabatory" to allege one needs faith. Those who use faith actually use an imaginary being as a placebo to help them do what they could do anyway.I have no faith but get good results all the time.Nerve pills get me through. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭skeptic griggsy

:) As psychologist Albert Ellis would say, it is "mustabatory" to allege one needs faith. Those who use faith actually use an imaginary being as a placebo to help them do what they could do anyway.I have no faith but get good results all the time.Nerve pills get me through. :cool: Faeries, gee, just like God-unneeded to explain matters!:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement