Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best traceroute ping software?

Options
  • 16-05-2007 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

ntl acting up, whats best s/ware for traceroutes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

In Linux there is traceroute and tracepath - I forget the difference between the two but you can do a lot more with them than with Windows' tracert, like using specific ports and stuff. There's a lot of different settings for ping as well.

If you don't have or want to use some Linux OS you can use Cygwin to run these things from instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

If you're using Linux (or Cygwin) mtr, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Trace_Route is about the best thing you could be using.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

PingPlotter / MultiPing

Great programs and really helped me in my fight against IBB in the bad old days

MultiPing probably the better of the two but both of them work well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But both Windows (NT/Xp/Vista) and Linux have simlar trace route commands built in that mostly do what you need.
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\ANuser>tracert

Usage: tracert [-d] [-h maximum_hops] [-j host-list] [-w timeout] target_name

Options:
        -d                 Do not resolve addresses to hostnames.
        -h maximum_hops    Maximum number of hops to search for target.
        -j host-list       Loose source route along host-list.
        -w timeout         Wait timeout milliseconds for each reply.

Advertisement