Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hey folks, your thoughts please

• 16-05-2007 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so considering buying my first console this summer, and having played my cousins' xbox was very impressed. Perhaps those of you in the know can provide me with a couple or reasons for and against buying either an xbox or 360, and state which one you'd suggest. You know, value for money, quality of games, stuff like that. Thank you.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I own all 3 and use the 360 almost daily, the Wii never and te PS3 maybe once a week to watch a movie.

The 360 has the most games. Most of the games on the PS3 are for the 360 aswell and there is little to no difference in graphics.

The 360 is cheaper and has what I think is the best controller around in shape size and button placement.

Xbox Live is a far better service than the PS3 network even though you pay for it.

The 360 is far better value for money and compared to the PS3 in its current state and is a bargin in comparison as a pure games console.

The PS3 may get better in the future and a price drop will help it but for now the 360 is the better console. In my view.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm taking from your post that you're considering buying either an original Xbox, or an Xbox 360.

To be honest I would recommend purchasing the 360.
    Unless you have a really tight budget there is little point in buying the original at this stage.
    There are only a few games being developed for the original Xbox, and while there are plenty of great games from the last few years, most of them are either playable on the 360, or will be soon (fingers crossed;) ).

If you're really strapped for cash, you could probably pick up an original with a bunch of games for less than €100.
    But seeing as you can now get a premium 360 with three new games for €400, it's not exactly the most expensive of options really.

If I misunderstood, and you were asking about the three next-gen consoles (well two next-gen and the Wii:p ), then I completely agree with CC.
    I have a 360 and Wii, and I've used a friends PS3 a few times.
    I use my 360 daily, only use my Wii to play Wii sports when friends come around. Plus for now at least there is no point (IMO) in buying a PS3, unless you want to watch Blu-Ray movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

For the 360

Good back catalogue of games
    Cheaper than a ps3
    Xbox live is great service

Against the 360

Reliability issues
    Xbox live costs if you want to go gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

KF you understood completely right. I probably should have mentioned I'm a student (for a wee while longer) dunno if I'll be doing a masters in september so don't really know how the cash situation will be. €400 seems do-able, assuming I get a job. Seening as I've played the original xbox and ye probably have too, what can I expect to be better about the 360?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭anto1208

what can I expect to be better about the 360?

In short everything !! . The only negative difference that i noticed was that you cant plug in the old xbox controllers thus making my playstation controller convertor useless and i had to go back to using the 360 controller :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

I own all 3 and use the 360 almost daily, the Wii never and te PS3 maybe once a week to watch a movie.

The 360 has the most games. Most of the games on the PS3 are for the 360 aswell and there is little to no difference in graphics.

The 360 is cheaper and has what I think is the best controller around in shape size and button placement.

Xbox Live is a far better service than the PS3 network even though you pay for it.

The 360 is far better value for money and compared to the PS3 in its current state and is a bargin in comparison as a pure games console.

The PS3 may get better in the future and a price drop will help it but for now the 360 is the better console. In my view.:)

Exactly the same deal with me!!

KF you understood completely right. I probably should have mentioned I'm a student (for a wee while longer) dunno if I'll be doing a masters in september so don't really know how the cash situation will be. €400 seems do-able, assuming I get a job. Seening as I've played the original xbox and ye probably have too, what can I expect to be better about the 360?

As Anto said, everything is better really.

Unlike the original Xbox, the 360 has a sizable market share, so there is a much wider variety of game.
    A lot of games that were once PlayStation only, are now on both consoles.
    If you have broadband, the Xbox Live experience is much better, and now you have MSN on your console too, which can be very handy.

Games are getting more and more complicated and intricate, so they need either a PS3 or 360 to get the most out of them.
    Old Xbox games are really starting to show their age in relation to the new 360 titles.

Seeing as you're a student, I'm guessing you don't have access to a HD TV.
    But maybe in a few years you can spring for one, and that'll improve the gaming all over again.

All in all, it's just an Xbox cubed.
    Everything that's good about the Xbox is there, but shinier!;)

P.S: Almost forgot, I completely disagree with Anto in regards to the controller.
    I think that the Xbox 360 controller is possibly the best controller I've ever played with. and it's deffinately much better than a PS2/3 controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

360 is all you need, I got one only last week and have played it every day. This is a step up from my PS2 which i played fairly regularly but just Pro Evo, or else when good games came out in November.
    I now play between 4 games its great.
    I have the Wii and while I'm really happy with it, it needs more games at the moment. I use it every day for the web browser which is cool, great for parties too (I've heard, have no friends so cant be sure ;))
    PS3 is too expensive right now, and hasnt the library of great games that the 360 has. My opinion, get Pro Evo, Gears of war, Crackdown. They're the three I have an love them all. Borrowed SC:Double Agent today, will see how that goes.
    Xbox Live is great two, controllers wireless are great aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I think that the Xbox 360 controller is possibly the best controller I've ever played with. and it's deffinately much better than a PS2/3 controller.

FACT!

P.S: Almost forgot, I completely disagree with Anto in regards to the controller.

For shooters id agree with you , but for sports sims the PS2 one is better the PS3 controller isnt great no rumble and the back triggers are wonky

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

anto1208 wrote:
    For shooters id agree with you , but for sports sims the PS2 one is better the PS3 controller isnt great no rumble and the back triggers are wonky

Ah it's only preference. Depends on what you're used to I think.

anto1208 wrote:

I can see where you're coming from, but My love affair with football sims really started with ISS on the N64, so the PS2 pad never really felt right for me in Pro Evo.
    Playing PE6 on the 360 has been like coming home (seeing as the 360 controller is similar to the old N64 pad), so for me everything is all shiny!:D

I can see where you're coming from, but My love affair with football sims really started with ISS on the N64, so the PS2 pad never really felt right for me in Pro Evo.
    Playing PE6 on the 360 has been like coming home (seeing as the 360 controller is similar to the old N64 pad), so for me everything is all shiny!:D

Ah im the other way around ive allways used the d-pad rather than the analog sticks and the xbox D-pad is kinda out of the way , if they released a controller for the old school gamers that dont want to change :D with the left stick and D-pad swapped and take the D-pad off the stalk , it seems to flop from side to side ,it would suit me better maybe make it a bit smaller too ( just a tiny bit ) Stubby fingers :D

Advertisement