Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDR2 Vs. DDR3

Options
  • 16-05-2007 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm going to build a computer sometime over the summer. I don't know much about computer hardware at all, so I'm doing some research at the moment.

What's the story with DDR3 memory? Wikipedia says intel will be supporting it midway into this year, and AMD sometime in 2008. Will it eventually overtake DDR2? Will motherboards support both techs or is it an either/or kind of thing?

On a halfway-related question, which gives more of a performance boost: quality or quantity of memory? Is it better to go with 2 two gigs of high quality RAM or four gigs of budget RAM?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2989

Prices will be too high for 6-12 months, the timings will also be very high. It was the same with DDR2. Once 1333-1600MHz modules comes out with decent timings at reasonable prices it's time to upgrade.

Right now i suggest DDR2, 2GB kit..they are rather cheap now, 800-1066MHz. If you're buying a new mobo you might as well go for the P35 boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Lovely.

Anandtech looks like a useful site for this kind of thing, cheers for the link.

Advertisement