Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese recipe thread as cooked by Mrs, Asiaprod

Options
  • 16-05-2007 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

Welcome all to the first Japanese recipe. Deep fried Shiso Chicken. If you have any requests for a certain Japanese dishes please mention it and I will get Mrs. Asia to teach me.

For this recipe you will need to get hold of 3 important ingredients
    1. Shiso Leaves: More commonly known as Perilla is a genus of annual herb that is a member of the mint family. The leaves resemble stinging nettle leaves, being slightly rounder in shape. It is also widely known as the Beefsteak plant or silam
    2. joshinko (rice flour)
    3. katakuriko (potato starch)

You will also need:
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon white sugar (optional)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root (optional)
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1 tablespoon soy sauce (make sure it is not sweet soy or added salt soy)
    1/8 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules (optional if you use chicken breast)
    1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken (we prefer to use fatty chicken, chicken breast tends to dry out and taste like paper).
    3 tablespoons potato starch
    1 tablespoon rice flour
    oil for deep frying

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, salt, pepper, sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, and bouillon.
    2 In a separate dish, mix the rice flour and potato starch
    3 Dice chicken into cubes and wrap each diced piece of chicken in a shiso leaf.
    3 Generously coat each cube with the mixture you made in 1 above
    4 Roll the coated diced pieces in the mixture made in 2 above.
    5. In a large skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Place chicken in hot oil, and fry until golden brown. Cook in batches to maintain oil temperature. Drain briefly on paper towels. Serve hot with a pan fried eggplant, the rice of your choice and Miso soup with added butter and sliced garlic cloves (a speciality from Hokkaido, Northern Japan)

A very handy Japanese tip, use cooking chopsticks to pick the cooked pieces out of the hot oil. No, its not so you will look more professional, chopsticks have an interesting characteristic that is widely used by Japanese housewives. When you lift out the chicken from the hot oil, if the chicken is properly cooked the chopsticks convert the sizzle from the cooked meat into a vibration that you will clearly feel in your fingers. If its not cooked, no vibration. It takes a while to get the hang of this, but it can be applied to any fried meat, it is really useful when one is frying chicken legs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

any good recipes for japanese tempura?

thanks

kev

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Lucifer wrote:
    any good recipes for japanese tempura?

thanks

kev
    Will check, we usually eat that outside. It needs a really big pot of oil to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Could you also ask Mrs. Asia which oil to use, vegetable or sunflower etc.

I have a 3L bottle of sunflower oil, could I use it, in a wok? and could I rebottle it when cold? (having filtered any bits out)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Any chance of an authentic gyuuyakinikudon recipe? :)

I'd also like to know if it's possible to recreate an okonomiyaki pancake in an Irish kitchen!

For more japanese recipes, check out this thread. I've cooked the katsudon recipe many times now, and it's delicious.

tampopo wrote:
    Could you also ask Mrs. Asia which oil to use, vegetable or sunflower etc.
    Usually she uses vegetable oil as it is cheaper, both are good though.
    I have a 3L bottle of sunflower oil, could I use it, in a wok? and could I rebottle it when cold? (having filtered any bits out)
    Yes you can use it and re use it, just take care not to burn the oil when using it.
    Any chance of an authentic gyuuyakinikudon recipe? smile.gif

I'd also like to know if it's possible to recreate an okonomiyaki pancake in an Irish kitchen!
    Working on the receipe. Yes you can make okonomiyaki on a pan, but you have to pre mix all the ingredients in a bowl first and remember to keep the heat low on the cooker. Another way is to make it in an oven. Make the top and the base first, then add the filling. Put the sanwiched okonomiyaki back into the oven and cook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Thanks,

we've made okonomi, though as a kanto girl, not as good as if a kansai girl had made it....still good though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I eagerly await the yakinikudon recipe!

I'll give the okonomiyaki a try. I know you get the sauce, or something quite similar, in various asian markets around Dublin, but is it easy to make from scratch?

I eagerly await the yakinikudon recipe!

Oops, sorry, I forgot, will get on it.
    I'll give the okonomiyaki a try. I know you get the sauce, or something quite similar, in various asian markets around Dublin, but is it easy to make from scratch?
    Its very basic cooking, just keep the heat down so it does not burn. Can you get the flaked Bonnito (Dry flaked tuna) and dry powdered seaweed to put on it, they are an important part of the flavor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Would you be so kind to ask Mrs Aisaprod to recommend a japanese cookbook if she knows of one.

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dvoynin

Where is it possible to get a hold of some shiso leaves in Ireland? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Shiso grows very easily in our climate. You can sow as seed and pot on - there is a green and a purple variety.

Advertisement