Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to purchase... is this spec ok?

Options
  • 16-05-2007 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm about to go ahead with this spec unless anyone can recommend or suggest changes to it. Please give it a quick once-over and let me know if there are any issues or improvements you would make. Thanks.

Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 Motherboard
    MS Tech ATX Side Window Case (Black/Green)
    Intel Core2Duo 6600 CPU (2.4ghz)
    NVIDIA 8800 GTS 320MB
    2gb DDR2 800 RAM
    Seasonic 600W Quiet PSU
    2x320GB Seagate 16MB Cache SATAII (Raid 1 config)
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio
    Freezer 65 Quiet cooler
    PSU Noise Absorption
    Firewire IEEE Adapter Card
    Other usual guff (keyboard, mouse, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW etc.)
    I've already got the monitor (a Dell Ultrasharp 20inch LCD Widescreen)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Looks fine to me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

2 questions, what RAM are you buying and what the hell is a PSU noise absorption kit? Be careful when cladding your 600W PSU in nice foamy, sound proofing material, it may die an early death.

Anyway, seasonics are quiet enough, any noise will be reverberated through your case if its a cheap piece of crap. Ditch the material and buy a better case like an Antec or a LianLi.

Rest of it looks very tasty tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

That psu whether its the M12 or S12 are so quiet you would think they're not working so no need for an absorbtion kit and use the money for something else. Is that an artic freezer cooler? And what RAM are you going for?

wow, echo.....echo.....echo? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If your not overclocking the stock Intel HSF is really quiet.

If your board does RAID 5 I'd go with 3*160GB or 3*250GB instead of 2*320GB in RAID 1 which is slower and even with the 160GBs you'll have the same disk capacity.

Onboard audio is really good these days so unless you're an audiophile or summat I wouldn't bother with the add in sound card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Thanks for the advice folks...

I'll look into loosing that PSU noise absorption thingy - it's cheap as chips anyway so it probably won't make any difference.

I've actually gone for the 650W Seasonic PSU so there should be even more capacity going forward - got it for the same price as well!!

Hmm - I can't recall what the damn memory is, I must check that out and go back through all the quotes/emails.

The reason I was going for raid 1 is because I had a raid 0 in my old rig, and loved the speed but had no protection from disk loss. I'm told a raid 1 will give me the protection and because on reads it does a round-robin approach I should get near raid 0 speeds for reads. This make sense?

Regarding the audio - I've always had a preference for seperate sound cards and since they are so cheap I didn't see any reason to complicate things by depending on the mobo.

Yeah, cheap as chips is even more of a reason to ditch it.

Good choice on the seasonic, and a sound card is worth it for taking the strain of your PC, ive also noticed oblivion doesnt seem to like my on-board sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

c0y0te wrote:
    The reason I was going for raid 1 is because I had a raid 0 in my old rig, and loved the speed but had no protection from disk loss. I'm told a raid 1 will give me the protection and because on reads it does a round-robin approach I should get near raid 0 speeds for reads. This make sense?

Two things - RAID 1 won't give you anything near RAID 0 performance. It'll give you near single disk performance whereas RAID 0 will, theoretically, give you twice the performace of a single disk on sustained reads. To get the best of both worlds you'd need RAID 0+1 (4 hard drives)

Second, RAID 1 gives you a level of protection against disk failure but RAID in itself is not a backup solution! Don't rely on it 100% as you'er only copy for data you can't afford to lose.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    wow, echo.....echo.....echo? :)

woops...sorry about that i'll get my coat...TAXI!:D

haha :D

Back on topic, are you going to change that case too? I'm a real snob for the better brands, its money well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

I'm looking at a new rig too, same core components as above with this memory

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

OcUks delivery speed is down in the dumps at the moment if you use the Euro 48 service.

I ordered from komplett and OcUk on Saturday. Kompletts order should be arriving today. OcUks still has yet to leave their warehouse :rolleyes:
    Dear Sexy Beast,

Thank you for your webnote.

The Euro 48 orders should be shipped from us tommorrow, I am sorry for any inconvienience with the delay of this order but we are experiencing slight issues with shipping consignments on the Euro 48 service,

Regards,

[16-05-2007]

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    haha :D

Back on topic, are you going to change that case too? I'm a real snob for the better brands, its money well spent.

I'm really loving the look of the p190 but its a serious pricetag, however it does come with 1200 watts of power for a reasonable £250 plus delivery!:eek: :eek:
    I think i might collapse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

OK. System ordered and should be built and ready before end of next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement