Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Advice

Options
  • 16-05-2007 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I first got the opportunity to learn to shoot when I was about 14 at a farm I used to stay with my parents. 10 bore double barrel shotgun beleive or not lol. Lot of kick for a young lad like me.

It has been a while however after settling down now in Ireland at 32 I now really want to get back into shooting as a hobby for target practice, clay etc. I was pretty good when I first started so want to get back into it.

Being new to this in Ireland and having not purchased a gun yet what advice would you have for someone to join a club as near to Dublin as possible?

Realy basic question for this thread :D but any advice would be appreciated.

Matthew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok just to define it a bit further, is it just the clay shooting you'd be interested in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Oceanreach

Hi Vegata - to start with it would be target and then moving on to clay and ultimately game.

Thanks.

I don't quite follow you here.

Target shooting is rifle shooting, this is a very different sport to shotgun shooting; such as clays, game etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

well he's probably starting off patterning the shot gun on stationary targets to get back to the feel of it. The when he is happy that he is safe with his handling etc he will progress on to clays.

My advice Ocean is to visit one of the ranges in your area that fires at clays and give it a try there. Then try and get a gun that fits you well, is reliable and within your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

Try Courtlough shooting grounds, out near Balbriggan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Oceanreach

Thanks guys -

@ Vegeta, thats exactly what I am planning to do i.e. targets to get back into it and then moving on etc.

Thanks for the support.

@ Banjax, cheers for the club, I am in contact with them now.

Advertisement