Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fixing skirting to insulated external walls

Options
  • 16-05-2007 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

hi all

we have added internal 38mm foil-backed plasterboard to our external (block) walls with a topcoat finish of plaster

several of the carpenters who are quoting for 2nd fix are uneasy about the best method of fixing (oak/ash) skirting to these walls - normally they would fix directly to block or battens

has anybody any recommendations as to how this has been done?

thanks
    SSE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Probably get more replies in DIY

Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Same as normal but user a good adhesive as well. I had the same issue and this worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

Try Gripfill adhesive..made by Laydex i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I always use screws to secure skirting. Then you can take them off anytime if you're decorating or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Reyman wrote:
    I always use screws to secure skirting. Then you can take them off anytime if you're decorating or whatever
    Do you screw through the insulation and into the blockwork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

When I did this, I just left a gap all along the bottom of the plasterboard and fixed two battens top and bottom for the skirting. It also leaves a useful space for a future cable run for speakers, telephone etc.

If the plasterboard is already in place you can easily cut out a few holes and screw wooden blocks to the wall for attaching the skirting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Mellor wrote:
    Do you screw through the insulation and into the blockwork?

I do yes but usually where there is no insulation so it's easy enough.

With the insulation and the skirting board you're probably looking at 3.5" screws as well as trying to get a plug through to the block. That's not an easy task

Adhesive might be better but it's very awkward if you have to remove the board afterwards. You could just plug the plasterboard and use more screws - it will hold it fairly solidly if you have a tight fit

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

If you are willing to use screws, try this.
    Drill and hammer a 6mm express nail into the plasterboard (not the skirting), leave it flush with the plasterboard.
    Put a red rawl plug into the express nail and you have a good fixing.
    This method does take time but it works.
    Also works with 8mm express nails and brown plugs.

I would prefer this over impossible to unstick adhesive anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

chippies fit a 35mm or 50 mm baton right the way around at floor level for the skirting to fix to .then the insulation drops on top of this and the screed goes in next.thats the way i see it done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

p3448964_l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Are you fitting 4" or 6" skirting boards?
    The best thing to do is to cut out the whole run of the bottom of the plasterboard and fix a batten slightly smaller than the skirting height you are going to use. Make sure this is fitted solidly to the wall and then you can use smaller screws to fix the skirting to this batten. It is easier to fix the long timber than to patch small sections into the wall. It would be a much neater job if you plugged the screw holes with timber plugs made from an offcut of the skirting board.

Advertisement