Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to copy over 130GB of data "Cannot copy errors"

• 16-05-2007 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Im moving it off one server to another and have taken ownership rights on all the files. However, Im getting errors on some files saying "cannot copy. access is denied. the source file may in use".

This file is definitely not in use though. How will I get around this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

What os is the server running? windows 2003 server im guessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Download and install total copy, a small 100-200k file from http://www.gigahost.no/?fil=tcopy.exe
    Install it, then select all your folders, and drag and drop them while holding down the right mouse button to where you want them to go, when you let go of the right mouse button select Total Copy from the list and it should start chugging away.
    If it reaches a problem file it will tell you,but instead of cancelling the whole move it will allow you to skip it and continue on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

From a Win2K to a 2003 server. Ill give total copy a go but it would be nice to copy all the files over.

edit: Alot of the files were saved on this server from a mac so if they were saved to a win2k volume shouldn't they be fine.

I get this error immediately with totalcopy "cannot copy d:\server\80? filename.
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is it a Win2K server? Are you sure nobody or no application is using the files?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The quickest way around this if the totalcopy does not work is to boot a live linux distro like fiesty fawn ununtu. You should then be able to move the files across with little to no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

edit: Alot of the files were saved on this server from a mac so if they were saved to a win2k volume shouldn't they be fine.

I get this error immediately with totalcopy "cannot copy d:\server\80? filename.
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Obvious really, but if the filenames contain any invalid characters (I presume the question mark above isn't actually in the filename), then that's the cause of your errors.
    Either find a windows tool that will do the filename replaces for you, or get the Mac (or a *nix) user to replace the names. A google for sed and illegal characters should find a script to do the job for you.

Kali wrote:
    Obvious really, but if the filenames contain any invalid characters (I presume the question mark above isn't actually in the filename), then that's the cause of your errors.
    Either find a windows tool that will do the filename replaces for you, or get the Mac (or a *nix) user to replace the names. A google for sed and illegal characters should find a script to do the job for you.

I wonder then how the mac was originally allowed to write the files to win 2k server.

Thats all copying over now...no bother at all with a knoppix live cd.

Cheers guys.

Advertisement