Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking For Chord Progressions

Options
  • 16-05-2007 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I am learning the guitar to help with song-writing and I am looking for some kind of site or chart that lists common to not so common guitar chord progressions so that I don't have to go doing trial and error to find what progressions work well etc because as a beginner that would take forever. I know I could use music theory to find any progression etc but again this is a very slow process for a beginner. For example, the main progression in Oasis’ 'Don't look back in anger' is - C G Am E7 F G C - and all I'm looking for is some kind of site or chart that would list of a load of progressions in this way, so then I could go through them pick out one’s I like and then start writing to them etc. I've looked on the net and nothing specific comes up, does anyone know if there might be something like this. Any help would be great, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

why bother even learning to play? it will take forever to be any good. just listen to cds and pretend its you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

ogy banned for a week for unhelpful comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

ogy wrote:
    why bother even learning to play? it will take forever to be any good. just listen to cds and pretend its you.

Genius!!!

O.P.H, I think your best bet is the following website:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/soldonsong/guide/songwriting_game.shtml

It's a flash game for building chord progressions. Clcik on the chords to hear what the sound like. You drag the chords into whatever order sounds good. You can then listen to how it sounds. When you clcik Get Feedback it will tell you what songs the progression is like. Have a go. It's actually a good site if you are a non beginner.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a list of all chord progressions. Actually that would be very usefull, especially for getting common jazz progressions quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Wow thats really interesting, thanks very much and Ogy.... nearly fell over laughin at that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

feylya wrote:

Cruel.

Still I bet it was worth a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/This site brillent for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

O.P.H wrote:
    I am learning the guitar to help with song-writing and I am looking for some kind of site or chart that lists common to not so common guitar chord progressions so that I don't have to go doing trial and error to find what progressions work well etc because as a beginner that would take forever. I know I could use music theory to find any progression etc but again this is a very slow process for a beginner. For example, the main progression in Oasis’ 'Don't look back in anger' is - C G Am E7 F G C - and all I'm looking for is some kind of site or chart that would list of a load of progressions in this way, so then I could go through them pick out one’s I like and then start writing to them etc. I've looked on the net and nothing specific comes up, does anyone know if there might be something like this. Any help would be great, cheers.

TBh what you're asking doesn't make any sense. You want to know which progressions make sense or work together well? Well, they all do. It will take a really long time before you understand that but here's a sort explanation:

Cmaj // Ebmaj(e flat maj) // dm7b5 // g7sharp5 // cmaj // fsharp7 bmaj // gsharpm7 // g7 // cmaj // b7 // em // amj13 // d7b9 // g7sharp5 // cm // fmaj7 //f sharp7b5 // b7/9 emaj

above is complex jazz chordal progression modulating through many keys making perfect sense with the possible exception of the fmaj to fsharp7b5 but it works anyways (those chords are part of 'insensitive' by jobim)
    every chord to another has a relationship whether it's directly diatonic or chromatic.
    Theres no progression you can come up which can't be made to sound 'musical'.
    It's just having the vision to be able to put these chords into sensible overall structures like for eg

fmaj7 to fsharp7b5 means nothing
    but fmaj to fsharp7b7 to b7b9 (the flat5 f of sharp 7 and flat9 of b7b9 are the same) then to emin makes sense because there are leading tones which help the chords which aren't in key 'belong' to the overall progression
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_tone
    within the progression which get resoloved.

Chordal progressions are all about tension and resolution

This is where music theory part comes in and i suspect the answer to your question. Without understanding 2,5,1's etc you've no hope of becoming a good chordal progressionist.:D

pagilius wrote:
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen a list of all chord progressions. Actually that would be very usefull, especially for getting common jazz progressions quickly...

You won't see one...that would be absolutely massive all progrssions of all chords???

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

feylya wrote:

no humour allowed eh?
    even if it was a **** attempt at it

Advertisement