Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Akercocke on BBC1 tonight 10.45

• 16-05-2007 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

This should be great :)

From the metal injection blog...

The upcoming release of UK death metal giants AKERCOCKE’s latest album "Antichrist" has caused uproar amongst Northern Ireland’s religious community, and is set to be the subject of a major religious debate live on BBC1 Northern Ireland.

The overtly satanic content contained within Antichrist has come under attack by religious forces, leading to the band’s vocalist Jason Mendonca facing a head- to-head live TV debate that will air on BBC1’s ‘Nolan Live’ show.

The debate will be broadcast live via satellite link at 10.45pm on BBC Northern Ireland following AKERCOCKE’s gig on May 16th at Nottingham’s Rock City. This meeting of minds is sure to stir waves of controversy ahead of their show in Belfast on May 18th and Dublin on May 19th, and with the Antichrist mission statement in full force, AKERCOCKE are sure to voice their closely held satanic beliefs.

To listen exclusively to the track ‘Summon The Antichrist’ that has ignited this controversy, head over to www.myspace.com/akercockeantichrist

Antichrist is released in the UK on Earache Records on Friday, May 25 (Ireland), Monday, May 28 (UK) and July 17 (USA).

Stephen Nolan’s show can be viewed online at www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/nolan/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

I'm looking forward to this, but I won't be able to see it because I'll be at Immolation. It should be interesting though, hopefully it'll be youtubed pretty soon after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

floundering metal band declare: "we are satanists"!!! clergy mildly vexed by desperate attempt to drum up publicity

yawn.

Bambi wrote:
    I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Bambi wrote:
    floundering metal band declare: "we are satanists"!!! clergy mildly vexed by desperate attempt to drum up publicity

yawn.
    You might want to check up the back story on this before making such statements...
    American retailers have also refused to stock the album. It's got way out of control actually. Especially as Akercocke have never said they've a problem with Christianity. Actually I've read interviews with Mendoca where he clearly says he has no problems with Christianity at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the back story? the back story is this:

Black Sabbath
    Venom
    Slayer
    Deicide
    Mayhem
    Marilyn Mansauce
    COF
    yadda
    yadda
    yadda

this stunt has been pulled so many times you'd imagine the media would have gotten bored with it by now. "we're big scarey satanists who have titties in our videos". No way..thats like so new, dangerous and edgey :rolleyes:

But then I guess if an OMD gig once had the Norn irish clergy up in arms...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

The show itself was a piss poor effort at any type of discussion/argument but I was disappointed by Akercocke. They made fools of themselves just as much as the pro-Christians did and didn't seem to be able/want to argue why they had satanic lyrics in their music. One guy seemed to be getting drunk and the other couldn't string sentences together. Although they did make it clear that they loved metal fans!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've not seen it, but...

I agree with Bambi to a point. Obviously there's a real issue here, what with the US printers refusing to print the album, and such... But the cynic in me wonders what the hell the connection is to the catholic church in Northern Ireland is? Oh, they're annoyed? It's a non-issue really.

That said, I wouldn't be as quick to jump on the band and say it's an attempt to drum up some publicity as much as it could be the Producers of the TV show's attempt to drum up some controversy for ratings.

Still, roll on the new album! I've mine preordered. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

http://www.myspace.com/akercocke

There's a radio interview there continued from the show

Bambi wrote:
    the back story? the back story is this:
    Black Sabbath
    Venom
    Slayer
    Deicide
    Mayhem
    Great, you've figured out that metal is anti-Christian. Now if you go find out about Akercocke, you'll realise that:
    - All their albums have had Satanic content
    - Several members of Akercocke are LaVeyan satanists
    - Jason Mendonca for one has been a member of the Church of Satan for years

Therefore you'll realise that Akercocke aren't including satanic imagery and lyrics because they're bandwagon-jumpers, it's because of their personal beliefs. Unlike most metal bands, they actually do believe in their lyrics rather than employing them simply as anti-Christian rhetoric.

As for them using the name Antichrist for the album, it's already been used by Gorgoroth in 1996 and Destruction in 2001, so I doubt Akercocke used it as a publicity tool. I don't think they would have expected backlash like this. Anything's possible, but I can't imagine them plotting all this.

This whole episode is just another example of Christians being hypocritical and intolerant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I personally found it hard to watch. There were too many people talking at once. But that said, the Christians did nothing to defend their beliefs and resorted to the whole "satanism is bad, God is forgiving, God > all" crap. Although I almost fell off my chair laughing at the "waking in your own vomit" comment.

But as posted already, Akercocke didn't exactly do their best to defend themselves. Apart from declaring they have never taken an anti-Christian stance, all they did was make constant shout-outs to their fans.

TBH, the most sensible person there IMO was the guy at the back of the audience near the end.

Advertisement