Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Open Adare

• 16-05-2007 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone going to see this ?
    Pro Am is on today ,free entry for all.
    Thu-Sun is only €25 per day admission and under 16's go free with an adult.
    Its a very fine course and well set up parking wise ,can drive right onto the course.
    Very low profile this year .
    I'm going to go along for a day anyway and see how it goes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Nah. Too far away from Kildare for me.

Fancy Louise Oosthuizen to have a chance - also wouldn't mind an each way on Michael Hoey to be in top 5. Also a good chance of best of the Irish.

S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

slumped wrote:
    Its less than an hour up the road for me.:D
    Nice to see Munster looked after instead of having to travel to Dublin/Kildare .
    Edit
    I've just had a look at the field and it is very disappointing .
    Only 2 of the top 50 golfers in the world,Westwood (48) and Harrington(12).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

No luck for the irish after round 1. If harrington just got his putting boots on he'd have a great chance. Very erratic driving from him tho. Only 5 off the lead still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Course is a bit of a joke tbh. The irish open has a major history of bad weather and the last thing you wna do is have a setup like augusta.....

is it not wonder its the most unattractive field ever to be shown on tv....wouldnt pay money to go see that field :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a fine course but its too long at >7400 yds.
    Its ridiculous scheduling the Irish Open for mid May ,it should be in late June or July.
    I am amazed at how poor the field is.
    2 golfers in the top 50 in the world is very poor.
    Its like a challenge tour event names wise.
    All the big names are playing on the US tour now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

slumped wrote:

Fancy Louise Oosthuizen to have a chance - also wouldn't mind an each way on Michael Hoey to be in top 5. Also a good chance of best of the Irish.

S

I've stuck €25 on Oosthuizen at 16/1 btw

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

Course is a bit of a joke tbh. The irish open has a major history of bad weather and the last thing you wna do is have a setup like augusta.....

is it not wonder its the most unattractive field ever to be shown on tv....wouldnt pay money to go see that field :(

In fairness the course is nothing like Augusta, wherever you got that from? Augusta has no rough, for a start.

Adare is a wonderful course and of the standard these pros should be playing on more often. The objective of a European Tour course should be to find the best players, not humiliate them, and you'll find, on a course like this, the best player will win the tournament. (Unlike, for example, the British Open courses which are ridiculous, sometimes, throwing up winners like Paul Lawrie, Ben Curtis and Todd Hamilton).

The Irish Open used to be a great tournament until Smurfitt muscled in with his European Open and stole their calendar slot. Anyone who went to the event in Fota Island, or more especially, Mount Julliet would vouch for the quality of the event that was staged. As for the players in the event? Greed dictates their presence in other events.

As for the weather? This is Ireland and you have to take what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Golferx wrote:
    In fairness the course is nothing like Augusta, wherever you got that from? Augusta has no rough, for a start.

Adare is a wonderful course and of the standard these pros should be playing on more often. The objective of a European Tour course should be to find the best players, not humiliate them, and you'll find, on a course like this, the best player will win the tournament. (Unlike, for example, the British Open courses which are ridiculous, sometimes, throwing up winners like Paul Lawrie, Ben Curtis and Todd Hamilton).

The Irish Open used to be a great tournament until Smurfitt muscled in with his European Open and stole their calendar slot. Anyone who went to the event in Fota Island, or more especially, Mount Julliet would vouch for the quality of the event that was staged. As for the players in the event? Greed dictates their presence in other events.

As for the weather? This is Ireland and you have to take what you get.

Would certainly agree that this is the sort of test the players should be receiving week in, week out...

The thing I really like about watching the European Tour is that every week the course is so different... Just a pity the players seem to deserting it in their droves...

As much as I miss watching the PGA Tour on Sky, the whole 'Driver-LWedge' thing can get tiresome at times...

Yeah its definitely the type of course that tournaments should be played on.

Anyway, why should we complain. First Irish winner since 1982?

Harrington has the event firmly in his hands. Anything around level par tomorrow should be enough. 3 shot lead overnight on -4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not quite so firmly then, as he was still 4 ahead with 9 to play and was taken to playoff. Good to watch though, its no wonder I prefer watching European golf than American tour. Courses should be done up this way more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

I totally agree with Golferx. Adare is the type of course that more European tour events should be played on. A true test. It was great to see the pros hitting long irons into the greens for a change.
    Great to see an Irish winner too, Padraig played the course well throughout and as always, when its on a golf course that is fair and is a true test, the best player will be there or thereabouts. Cant wait to play Adare in July and lets hope that the irish open attracts a better calibre of field for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

mccutchie wrote:
    It was great to see the pros hitting long irons into the greens for a change.

here here :)

What sets the course apart even more though is the fact players are punished when they miss the fairway. The rough at adare was penal and the players couldnt just take hit any club they wished from it.

It seems astonishing in my mind that championship courses seem to be continually lengthened rather than putting the premium on accuracy. Surely it makes more sense to have thicker rough and tougher hazards as opposed to having 650 yard par 5s, 490 yard par 4s and 250 yard par 3s. These just completely favour the sloggers giving the shotmakers no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Anyone go down to Adare? Did you enjoy it?

Advertisement