Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Final Thread - Utd v Chelsea

• 16-05-2007 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Might as well kick this off.....with BUPA's favourite member Louis Saha...injured again :rolleyes:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=466919&CPID=1&clid=1&lid=4161&title=Saha+out+of+cup+final

Check out the last line..."With Louis its a case of deciding what to do next.." I'd say Fergie has already rung the taxi for him ;)

Score predictions anybody?? I'll stick my neck and go with the ever reliable 2-1...Rooney and Ronaldo and Drogba to reply for Chelski.

I think Utd may have a slight upperhand with Chelsea's injuries. I can see this one going to extra-time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"Louis is out," said Ferguson
    And not just for the match on Saturday I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

And good riddance to him.

Anyway, with Chelskis injury problems I think United are favourites. Chelski might have a strong enough starting 11 but they wont have much options on the bench like they usually do.

United to win 2-1 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

TO be honest, Chelsea's team and subs bench is still pretty damm strong.

I can see them playing the following team:

Cech
    --Ferreira
    Essien
    Terry---Bridge/Cole-
    Makelele

Mikel
    Lampard
    ---SWP
    Cole--
    Drogba

If Mikel doesn't play, it'll be Diarra I'd say.
    Robben might make it, and if he does, SWP will be dropped, and Cole will play on the right.

Subs Bench will have at least
    Robben
    Mikel
    and maybe Kalou on it

There's still options.

United are going to be missing Neville.

VDS
    --Brown
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra-
    Carrick
    Fletcher
    -Ronaldo
    Scholes
    Giggs-
    Rooney

I think with those teams it'll be a very very tight match.
    We need a big performance from the front four.
    I'm pretty disappointed that Saha is out, as I think he would have really pushed Essien's defensive abilities to their limits.
    We're gona have to win the individual battles.

Scholes vs. Makelele
    Fletcher vs. Lampard
    Ronaldo vs. Cole

I'm very happy that Rio and Vidic will be back, not just for defence, but because Cole can only deal with Ronaldo by fouling him, so we'll get a lot of free kicks.
    With Carrick knocking them in, all we need is somebody to get on the end of them.
    With Rio, Vidic and Ronaldo in the box, I think we've got a real real real chance of getting a goal from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

As ususl very tight and keenly contested match, im goin man utd on penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United have disappointed in too many big games this season; two losses to Arsenal, a terrible performance at Anfield, lucky to hold on to the draw against Chelsea at OT in the end, terrible against Milan away, terrible against Roma away, poor against Benfica away.

Even with the injuries, Chelseas side is still pretty awesome, United will need to up the level of performance to win this one, and Rio and Vidic will need to be on top form too. My biggest worry is crosses into Drogba; as neither Heinze or Evra are doing great defensively on the left at the moment, and Neville won't be on the right - they will also get little protection from Ronaldo or Giggs i reckon.

Gonna be a very very tough game. Hopefully chelsea's patchy form continues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Tauren wrote:
    My biggest worry is crosses into Drogba; as neither Heinze or Evra are doing great defensively on the left at the moment, and Neville won't be on the right - they will also get little protection from Ronaldo or Giggs i reckon.
    I would prefer to see Heinze play instead of Evra as he is better in the air, I think his performances have improved lately too. I think Fergie gave him the captains armband the last few games to raise his confidence and I think its worked. Brown should play at right back, he has made some fantastic clearing headers the last couple of games and he will no doubt have to make afew more on Saturday.

I'd rather see O'Shea play than Brown to be honest. Brown has a lot of trouble dealing with players running at him, and doesn't offer as much as O'Shea going forward.
    Our full backs will need to provide an attacking thread, considering how Chelsea will try to pack the center of the midfield.
    That's also why Evra should play. Vidic and Rio should be able to deal with Drogba's height, and Vidic can certainly deal with his strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

With all the injury concerns for Chelsea and that awful incident with Mourinho's dog :D it is not exactly the ideal build up for the cup final for them.

I think that United will win it in normal time, maybe 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

The only way to beat Chelsea is fast counter attacking on the wing...their full-backs, imo, struggle against wingers...look at the teams who've challenged Chelsea this season - Liverpool (CL 2nd leg) wingers crossing balls into the box putting defenders under pressure, Spurs (PL ad FA Cup) counter attacks (added to some suspect defending!) and wing play through Lennon etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Carvalho saying he needs a miracle to be fit for the game...given its Chelsea I cant help thinking he might line up and its all a spin on his injury :rolleyes:

Utd team looks like its going to be.
    Van Der Sar, Brown, Vidic, Ferdinand,Evra, Ronaldo,Scholes,Carrick,Fletcher,Giggs and Rooney.

• Advertisement

Yeh, I think it'll be a 4-2-3-1, not a 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

PHB wrote:
    I think with those teams it'll be a very very tight match.
    We need a big performance from the front four.
    I'm pretty disappointed that Saha is out, as I think he would have really pushed Essien's defensive abilities to their limits.
    We're gona have to win the individual battles.

Scholes vs. Makelele
    Fletcher vs. Lampard
    Ronaldo vs. Cole

eh well for one it wont be joe cole worrying about ronaldo or vice versa. thats what the full back will be doing and I guarantee Scholesy v Lampard will be the main competition in midfield just like old trafford this season when lampard got dispossesed by Scholes countless times.

Ashely Cole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

well if he's playing maybe but id say ronaldo will be on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

My prediction - United 2 Chelsea 1.

From BBC sport:

Chelsea head into the FA Cup final without Michael Ballack, Ricardo Carvalho and Andriy Shevchenko.

Winger Arjen Robben is still recovering from knee surgery but hopes to be fit enough for a place on the bench.

Midfielder Mikel Jon Obi is struggling with a thigh strain while Ashley Cole is a major doubt with an ankle problem which requires surgery.

Boss Jose Mourinho hinted he could use keeper Hilario as a substitute striker but is more likely to pick Ben Sahar.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is expected to hand the right-back role to Wes Brown with Gary Neville out injured.

That means disappointment for John O'Shea while Gabriel Heinze is also set to miss out as Patrice Evra is tipped to start at left-back.

Ferguson must also decide whether to pick Alan Smith up front or bolster his midfield with Darren Fletcher.

Louis Saha has been ruled out with a hamstring injury (:rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Chelsea are on the rack with mourinho losing his marbles and the side under pressure to deliver a major trophy.

Failure to win will probably see the end of mourinho and force a few changes in the chelsea side, so massive pressure on everybody.

Utd will be pumped up. No real pressure on them, but they've got a taste of success now, so i'd expect them to go out and 'enjoy' it much more.

A double would be a fantastic achievement for this side, as chelsea are no mugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

a close 2-1 win for utd

Tomorrow is going to be very tough I think.
    I think United could win this, probably from a free kick and headed goal.
    That said, Essien in defence is a huge boost.

I think our full backs will be under a lot of pressure, and Joe Cole can win any match on his own, he is an outstanding player.

My heart says United, and to be honest, my head says United, but it's gona be tough.
    I think if Chelsea give us space to play, we will win. The question is will they give us space, and I think they will.

PHB wrote:
    Tomorrow is going to be very tough I think.
    I think United could win this, probably from a free kick and headed goal.
    That said, Essien in defence is a huge boost.

I think our full backs will be under a lot of pressure, and Joe Cole can win any match on his own, he is an outstanding player.

My heart says United, and to be honest, my head says United, but it's gona be tough.
    I think if Chelsea give us space to play, we will win. The question is will they give us space, and I think they will.
    The last thing chelsea will do is give us space, Makalele certainly won't be giving scholes time on the ball in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Wembley's a big pitch, it will be difficult to close the game down. It should suit Uniteds style. I'm really looking forward to the game I expect it to be a close contest.

• Advertisement

I feel the momentum is with Man U somewhat - winnig the league, Mourinho's arrest (!), and the fact that they have a few big players out injured - Essien playing centre-half is a huge boost!

I feel the momentum is with Man U somewhat - winnig the league, Mourinho's arrest (!), and the fact that they have a few big players out injured - Essien playing centre-half is a huge boost!
    it is a boost, and while he is not as good there as Carvalho, he is still pretty damn capable at CB, it not like its making life that much easier for United in attack. Add to that the 'seeming to be) fact that we'll be starting with just rooney up top, i don't think essien playing in defence is going to be a problem, cause terry and essien will have a fairly easy time of isolating him.

I know it would be a shock, but i'd actually consider playing Ronaldo up front on his own instead of Rooney and put Rooney out wide.

Rooney is a very good crosser of the ball, so he would provide a threat from the wing (not saying ronaldo doesn't) but he would defend more then Ronaldo will, and he will close down the midfielders more too, and we'll need to defend and press in numbers. Also, Ronaldo is better in the air then Rooney, and his pace, power and skill would be a better weapon against Terry and Essien imo. Rooney is better coming from deep in to space at the edge of the box; he won't have a chance to do that up top on his own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Despite being pretty below par since Milan I think Man U will take it :confused: Chelsea and Mourhinio seem knackered with the whole thing ever since Liverpool. Backing Chelsea of course but I think theyre too tired to pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

PHB wrote:
    Joe Cole can win any match on his own, he is an outstanding player.

If he can stay on his feet. Twat.

daveg wrote:
    If he can stay on his feet. Twat.
    Much like Drogba and Ronaldo.

But Joe Cole is English (like Gerrard) so.....

Tauren wrote:
    it is a boost, and while he is not as good there as Carvalho, he is still pretty damn capable at CB, it not like its making life that much easier for United in attack. Add to that the 'seeming to be) fact that we'll be starting with just rooney up top, i don't think essien playing in defence is going to be a problem, cause terry and essien will have a fairly easy time of isolating him.

I know it would be a shock, but i'd actually consider playing Ronaldo up front on his own instead of Rooney and put Rooney out wide.

Rooney is a very good crosser of the ball, so he would provide a threat from the wing (not saying ronaldo doesn't) but he would defend more then Ronaldo will, and he will close down the midfielders more too, and we'll need to defend and press in numbers. Also, Ronaldo is better in the air then Rooney, and his pace, power and skill would be a better weapon against Terry and Essien imo. Rooney is better coming from deep in to space at the edge of the box; he won't have a chance to do that up top on his own

True but I'd rather have Essien not in midfield! Positionally Essien is suspect at CB for obvious reasons...Rooney could get isolated ut it's up to players like Giggs, Ronaldo and Scholes and the full backs to really put them under pressure...

As for Ronaldo...I dunno, I think physically Rooney would be more of a nuisance up front...Ronaldo is best running at - and past! - defenders. I don't expect them to play long balls up to Rooney anyhow so it doesn't really matter that Ronaldso is better in the air.

Cole dives as much as Ronaldo to be honest.

Essien isn't great positionally in CB, so with Scholes' passing, he should be able to get something through, that's why I'd rather Rooney up front, his movement would get him there.

Makelele will try to cover Scholes, but he also has Ronaldo to deal with, so one of them will get space.

and Giggs... :D

sounds more like Ronaldo tbh...

• Advertisement

and Giggs... :D
    if Giggs bothers to actually turn up, and decides his game won't consist of running into the oppostion and flicking the ball to no one in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

county wrote:
    a close 2-1 win for utd

A few punters saying the same ;)

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=467065

Nobody predicting a glut of goals ! Look what happened last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Over the last couple of seasons the best Chelsea player against United has been Carvalho. Carvalho being out will make all the difference. I'm hoping United will edge it. With 2 great teams its got the makings of a classic plus we get to see the New Wembley. I'm really looking forward to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Tauren wrote:
    Much like Drogba and Ronaldo.

But Joe Cole is English (like Gerrard) so.....

:D Surely England's golden boys would never dive to win a free kick or penalty!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

grahamo wrote:
    With 2 great teams its got the makings of a classic plus we get to see the New Wembley. I'm really looking forward to the game.
    I'm looking forward to it too but it has borefest written all over it. On very very rare occasions the actual match lives up to the hype but generally not.
    Tauren wrote:
    I know the reasons that you have provided give some validity to your suggestion but seriously, you want to play someone that has won numerous best player awards this season out of position for such a big match? hmmmm.....

But ronaldo doesn't really have a position - he just goes where he likes and does what he wants. His lack of tracking back could be a problem, we wouldn't have that prblem with Rooney imo. Besides, we have played him up front and rooney out wide before, and Fergie has always said he would mature into a forward in the Henry mould, as opposed to a winger

I was just throwing it out there, cause its friday and the clock ain't tick tocking as quick as i would like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i think the team will be

v d sar
    browne - vidic - rio - evra
    fletcher - scholes - carrick - giggs
    rooney
    ronaldo

cant wait for this tomorrow, should be some day. probably head to sinnots myself to watch this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd be surprised at this stage if Fletcher doesn't get the nod ahead of either Solskjaer or Smith. Carvalho being out is a double-boost, not only will Chelsea miss him but also Essien's drive in midfield when he's put back to the centre of defence.
    Peter Schmeichel made the point earlier that Chelsea are under more pressure, having only the Carling Cup to their name, and that United can therefore play with more freedom.
    I hope that results in a better performance and not complacency :)

I reckon this could go all the way, 0-0 or 1-1 and settled on ET and/or penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Come On United!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

BBC HD have full coverage of the FA cup on now (anyone with a newish pc and a skystar 2 satellite card are able to watch it aswell)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Come on United. Let's do the double...again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Team news in

SWP starts as does Bridge, Man Utd as you'd expect.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

VDS

Brown---Rio---Vida---Heinze

----Fletcher---Carrick

Ronaldo---Scholes---Giggs

Rooney

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Utd playing a 4-5-1 :/

isnt that opposite to their usual style ?

United are playing a 4-2-3-1, which is closer to a 4-3-3 than it is to a 4-5-1

Gona be a tough game, but I think United can win it. Gona be from a free kick I think, foul on Ronnie, Header from ronnie/rio/vidic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote:
    United are playing a 4-2-3-1, which is closer to a 4-3-3 than it is to a 4-5-1

Gona be a tough game, but I think United can win it. Gona be from a free kick I think, foul on Ronnie, Header from ronnie/rio/vidic

no chance of chelski winning no? ^^
    just think of that next time ya pick them in pro evo :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Very dull match so far. There's something about the picture that is really cool though - I dunno if it is the position of the camera in the new Wembley, or the BBC transmission but it looks like the 1970 WC final.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Boring! I really hate watching chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Dire match so far. Does this go to peno's if there is no winner in extra time or will there be a replay?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ffs, how often do Chelsea play it backwards before just hoofing it towards Drogba?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This game will have another life in darkened rooms at Guantanamo Bay

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement