Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Final Thread - Utd v Chelsea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Rubbish game, pointless competition. Need I say more.
    yeah, ya could explain how one shít game means the whole competition is pointless? Last years final was tightly fought, highly dramatic and highly entertaining, not exactly pointless! what's the point in any cup competition?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Beautiful goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

and the other 89 mins in other games when he aint scoring. Giggs has been awful the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

3 mins. Utter bullshít

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Worst game I have watched in ages. Chelsea winning in the style they have all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Chelsea brought Utd down to their level and beat them with experience.

Peno's might have been some excitement, but that game was utter bollocks for the neutral.

Fair play to Chelsea, I guess.

Roll on the big one next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

poor poor PHB :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Awful game.

I know it's gonna sound nothing but sour grapes, but how blind is Steve Bennett? The Chelsea move for the goal started from a free kick that was never a foul in a million years, with the referee standing no more than three feet away.

I'm actually undecided about the Giggs one, he did kinda force Cech over the line but there was no free given, so is the only thing that matters the fact that the ball was over the line?

Losers walking up the steps first, gotta be tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Utd got all day deserved out of that game to be honest, Fergie dissed the spirit of his own men and his own insticts.

Mike.

• Advertisement

..and here come the champs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

3 mins. Utter bullshít

Go away out of that. Look how long they took celebrating, and how many fouls they committed during the second half of extra time. 3 minutes was just.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

United need to revert to 442, useless having Rooney up on his own, if h wins it only goes to a chelsea player. A good tall strong striker to play longside him is needed ie berbatov.

We should have ran at them more, we had decent success doing this.

Giggs is burnt out, another player may have scored a goal and set up 1 or 2.

Ronaldo was useless, faded away in a game he should have shone

The defence was excellent, Vidic really dealt with Drogba.

Rooney and Scholes aslo were good.

Chelsea were there typical selves. Hoof to Drogba and hope for the best, most balls were controlled by the united defence. Cech played excellenty and showed he is the best keeper in the league.

Just sickened Mourinho will lift the F.A first in the new Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

gandalf wrote:
    Worst game I have watched in ages. Chelsea winning in the style they have all season.
    Chelsea havent had style in about 3 years.
    Its awful to see a cynical negative minded side like them win.
    United were very poor but at least they tried to play some bit of football.
    Chelsea are a horrid side to watch.
    Thats only 1 goal United have scored in their last 5 matches and that was a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Did UTD want to win this, they played so negative and Ronaldo and Rooney just couldn't get enough of the ball.

Drogba and Lampard's 1 - 2 was class and Drogba has proven he was the best striker all season imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Congrats to Chelsea for coming 3rd in the Champions League. That Wembley is something else. 100+ steps to pick up the medal seems like a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Chelsea havent had style in about 3 years.
    Its awful to see a cynical negative minded side like them win.
    United were very poor but at least they tried to play some bit of football.
    Chelsea are a horrid side to watch.
    Thats only 1 goal United have scored in their last 5 matches and that was a penalty.

I didn't mean it as a complement.

I agree with everything you have said. As an Arsenal fan they remind me of Arsenal at the most boring height of George Grahams reign and even they had more style and flair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

lol @ united fans.
    You got beaten. Deal with it. Well done Chelsea F.C. Terrific goal. FA Cup Champions 2007 :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

crap match. good goal. United threw it away. ref didn't help in the build up to the goal, but United never really looked like they were gonna win it regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Congrats Chelsea :) Super goal to win it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,338 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Our programmes will now be running a bit late after the excitement of the FA Cup Final

I can only assume he wasn't watching the match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If anybody knows where Giggs, Carrick and Ronaldo were this afternoon can you send me your answers on a postcard??

SHÍTE Game and the one bit of quality which resulted in a clear chance 1 on 1 won the game. Dont think anybody really deserved it in the context of the 120 mins, Im only sorry I didnt have a kip instead...it was that bad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Well done CFC, Mikel was outstanding and Claude and Frank worked v hard.
    Bridge was v good too as was Kalou when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gah, terrible attacking display by both sides, like woeful from both sets of attackers, but really great goal at the end of it. I really thought the O'Shea substitution was stupid, Fletcher was doing a good job getting in the way of the ball, and I think he would have been somewhere in the breakup of the goal. Incredible pass from Lampsy (that's gona stick) though.

Kinda annoyed about the result, can't believe Giggs didn't score, it was over the line, but it was probably a foul, Rooney was defo onside, and him and Ronaldo would have scored for sure with that sort of space, also Rooney and Giggs really should done better from the through balls from Scholes. We had more chances, but we just didn't take them, and ya gotta take em when you get them.

I think what United were missing today was quite clear, Saha. Saha would have made a big difference today, so it was disappointing to see him injured. Unless he gets his injuries sorted, we have to get somebody else in, cause since he has been injured, we haven't been anywhere near as good.

No double this year, just the league, will have to live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

no clue why fletcher was started on the right with scholes playing so deep.
    carrick, fletcher and ronaldo were invisible for long periods of time.
    rooney upped his game in the second half, but he was the only one. poor game, neither side deserved the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PHB wrote:

I think what United were missing today was quite clear, Saha.
    Definitely need to buy a striker who can hold the ball up.
    Larsson would have been ideal today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Scholes's passes were as usual pinpoint and on the whole he was immense. Congrats to Chelsea, super goal to win it.

Am gutted :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Did anyone notice the similarity between the goal and Tevez's last week?
    A one-two on the edge of the box, the striker not picked up as he goes for the return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A truly dreadful final. Shame to have something like that open up the new Wembley stadium, didn't come close to living up to last year's final.

Ferguson said: "It's a penalty. To lose a game and see that is disappointing.

"We couldn't see where we were but when I see it now it's a penalty. The referee should have been in a better position to see that."

Ferguson blamed tiredness for his side's below-par display in the first FA Cup final back at Wembley.

He added: "There was a bit of tiredness. The number of games they played eventually gets to them. It was the same for both teams but I think in two or three positions we were tired.

"The pitch was slow, maybe that didn't help but, from our point of view, we were tired.

"There was nothing between the two sides. Neither deserved to win or lose and we are disappointed we have lost.

"It has been exceptional what my players have been through - we just couldn't cross the line."

I suppose it is technically a peno, but it's unlikely to be given. Giggs still shoulda put it away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote:
    I suppose it is technically a peno, but it's unlikely to be given. Giggs still shoulda put it away.

yeah. If United had upped their game a bit they could have done a lot better. they exposed Chelsea a few times as it was, but they just failed to kick into that match winning mode we've become accustomed to seeing. disappointing. thought the refs performance was pretty ****, J. Cole should have gotten a card for that late, two footed, studs showing challenge on Brown earlier on. A couple of those offsides shouldn't have been given against United, but they probably would have failed to do anything with them anyway. Chelsea were their usual compact, direct selves, Essien had a good few let offs in defense.

**** match though for the first Wembley final. real disappointment all round. I think we would have gotten a better game had they played their youth teams. the only positive was that it was a good goal that won it instead of penalties really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Really disappointed after that result, i was so confident of manu winning and lifting the cup. What a shocking performance by both teams and to blame tirdness is a excuse in its self by saf. I've said all season that Giggs is passed it and today again proved it yet again. I thought he was very poor along side Carrick. I couldn't understand why he played 4-3-3, but i suppose thats to accomodate Giggs simply because he can't play 90minutes anymore as a winger. I thought Smith should have started up front with Giggs behind and Rooney out on left. What was ferguson hoping for playing rooney up front on his own and knocking long balls towards him, Terry cleaned up all day long. Rooney have a good game as did the rest ( apart from Giggs, Carrick ) I think Carrick still has a lot to do before he conviences myself, again today he was to slow at times passing and often to short with the simple pass. We should have attacked chelsea from the start.

Saha another i said is rubbish and Ferguson himself said durning the week that knew they were taking a gamble on him as they knew he was injury prone a lot? Waste of £12million. I can't wait to see back of him and Richardson.

SAF said they have three players in mind and 2 of those are hargreaves and Bale and the second? anybodys guess. We need two world class strikers, left winger and to center midfielders. The defence is probably are strongest, but compare are midfield to Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea and we have the weakest out of the lot.

I'm slagging of the Manu or SAF, i never expected us to win the league, but i think the time has come for ferguson to show Giggs the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

lol @ united fans.
    You got beaten. Deal with it. Well done Chelsea F.C. Terrific goal. FA Cup Champions 2007 :D:D

Some of their fans don't know when to accept defeat. They are truly the most ungracious of supporters in defeat - one of the key reasons why they are disliked so much.

A terrible spectacle, but a Chelsea victory is preferable than another United double.
    Nice to witness United getting a taste of their own medicine (losing to a late goal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Horrible match. And to think I was annoyed that I had to work for it :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

It's absolutely shocking that the two best teams in England put on such a poor display in the first cup final to be played at the wonderful new Wembley. Pretty damning for the state of English football if that isn't motivation for the two best sides in their county as far I'm concerned. Fatigue is just an excuse, both sides were casually knocking the ball around with little heart of commitment in the opening minutes setting the tone for the rest of the match. If you had given either side a choice of playing for 90 munites to try and win a football match or a choice of penalties they would have gone for the latter. In reality neither side deserved to win but United can have no complaints, they were poor and Chelsea punished United's vulnerability in defence (aside from the magnificent Vidic).

BTW I noticed a certain ''player of season'' went missing in action in a massive match..... again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Some of their fans don't know when to accept defeat. They are truly the most ungracious of supporters in defeat - one of the key reasons why they are disliked so much.

A terrible spectacle, but a Chelsea victory is preferable than another United double.
    Nice to witness United getting a taste of their own medicine (losing to a late goal).

i take it your not fond of man utd judging by your sig ;)

@Jonny Arson

Its England, if he was off playing in some other country he'd be luckly to get his name in the sun a few times a year. But no suprise that Utd were crap again. I could count on one hand the amount of times I've enjoyed watching them this season. Anytime one of the other big teams are attacking I feel there gonna score but never feel like that with Utd. Hargreaves and another young portugese winger arent gonna make a difference. Sick of them buying young players and not players in there prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Terrible, terrible match. The lineo's arm must be falling off, cos he had to raise that flag about 1,000 times for Rooney :rolleyes:

Oh well, we'll have to settle for the league this year. A bit of purging this summer and then 2 or 3 new buys and we should be on for the double 07/08.

I must say, in terms of positives from the match, Rooney looked like he was getting back to his old best.

If we can get Ronaldos performance from this season, and Rooneys performance from the season before, we'll be in great shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Well heck if we all had our players playing to the best of their ability all the time we'd all be doing mighty!

United need to bolster up their defence. Without Vidic they have struggled. If they can find another quality centre-back to partner him (Ferdinand is still sh!t - see Drogba's goal), another world class midfielder (Giggs and Scholes wont last forever) and a striker to link up with Ronney (Sicknote Saha, and Solskjaer near the end). Foster will be essentiallly a new goalkeeper. Get these 3 players United will challenge again, if they don't I think they will slip behind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Ferdinand is an excellent centre back albeit prone to the occasional lapse in concentration, he's not worth his wage but Utd's defensive record this season is testament to the centre back pairing. you'll be getting hargreaves who is probably adequete, so just a striker and a left winger.

Ferdinand is an excellent centre back albeit prone to the occasional lapse in concentration

Occasional lapse in concentration? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

United have a pretty good defence, we've just been plagued with injury this season... Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown, Neville, Evra, Silvestre, Heinze, OShea... Not the worst! I'd be more concerned about having someone up beside Rooney, and a replacement for Giggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

nlgbbbblth wrote:

Is this the trolling that I keep getting accused of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Occasional lapse in concentration? :D:D

In fairness, yes. Very occasional. I can't actually think of a goal conceded this season that was down to a major fault by Ferdinand - generally he has performed superbly. In any case, as much as I think Vidic is a fantastic defender, his contribution to the partnership is overrated. Ferdinand has the positional skill, Ferdinand reads the game and leads the line, Ferdinand is the one with the pace. As a partnership, I have trouble thinking of a better two central defenders in world football and I think that's probably the last position we need to be worrying about with regard to transfers - especially with Pique coming back.

In fairness, yes. Very occasional. I can't actually think of a goal conceded this season that was down to a major fault by Ferdinand - generally he has performed superbly. In any case, as much as I think Vidic is a fantastic defender, his contribution to the partnership is overrated. Ferdinand has the positional skill, Ferdinand reads the game and leads the line, Ferdinand is the one with the pace. As a partnership, I have trouble thinking of a better two central defenders in world football and I think that's probably the last position we need to be worrying about with regard to transfers - especially with Pique coming back.

We'll agree to disagree because I think you must be talking about his brother Anton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Once again Ronaldo goes totally missing in an important game. He just can't/won't do it when it matters. Dunphy so right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ronaldo was Man of the match in Utds last 2 Fa Cup finals against Arsenal and Millwall, so there goes that theory out the window.
    I find it amazing in a game littered with poor performances Ronaldo is the one singled out by many, but I suppose that's the 'in' thing...once again Fergie played him everywhere except on the right in a big game. For Christs sake just put him on the right wing and leave him there!

Ronaldo was Man of the match in Utds last 2 Fa Cup finals against Arsenal and Millwall, so there goes that theory out the window.

No it doesn't, for crying out loud, don't you get it, if he doesn't score a hattrick in every game, he can't be a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

due to work i missed the match,thank fcuk by the sounds of things

Advertisement