Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Final Thread - Utd v Chelsea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

..oh ye, i get it now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

PHB wrote:
    No it doesn't, for crying out loud, don't you get it, if he doesn't score a hattrick in every game, he can't be a great player.

Its that he doesn't do it in the big games, he's well able to destroy poor defenders and he deserves a lot of credit for that but we've yet to see him really do it against top opposition. He's still young though and has all the potential to develop into a fantastic player but he needs to develop his intelligence as a footballer.

So he does deserve some of the criticism as there are major flaws in his game but i do think that some of the criticism is way overboard (like rte's). Constructive criticism is pretty much absent in most today's football journalists and especially here on boards which holds the greatest opinions!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

No, see, you'd kinda expect a little more from the apparent runaway player of the year, lauded by both pundits and fellow professionals.

Shame he forgot to show up today and against Milan (and generally any game which doesn't involve relegation battlers)

Anyway, Congrats to Chelsea and Drogba (the actual player of the year)
    Nunu wrote:
    Ronaldo was Man of the match in Utds last 2 Fa Cup finals against Arsenal and Millwall, so there goes that theory out the window.

Actually RVN was against Milwall, and Rooney against Arsenal, but don't let the facts get in the road your defense of the other Ronaldo

zabbo wrote:
    No, see, you'd kinda expect a little more from the apparent runaway player of the year, lauded by both pundits and fellow professionals.

Shame he forgot to show up today and against Milan (and generally any game which doesn't involve relegation battlers)

Anyway, Congrats to Chelsea and Drogba (the actual player of the year)

Actually RVN was against Milwall, and Rooney against Arsenal, but don't let the facts get in the road your defense of the other Ronaldo

Come on now don't be silly, there's no such thing as fact when it comes to naming man of the matches. All I know is that for me he was the outstanding performer in both those games.
    Here's a link i got from a quick search on the Millwall game that supports my claim:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/3725063.stm
    Man Utd 3-0 Millwall
    Ruud van Nistelrooy scored twice as Manchester United overcame valiant Millwall to win the FA Cup final.

Lions keeper Andy Marshall had denied Roy Keane before Cristiano Ronaldo nodded in Gary Neville's cross.

Dennis Wise headed off the line but Van Nistelrooy doubled United's lead from the penalty spot after David Livermore had brought down Ryan Giggs.

Van Nistelrooy then tapped home a driven Giggs cross to ensure United's disappointing season ended on a high.

Both Keane and Wise overcame their injury problems to make the final.

But Ronaldo, often pilloried by critics for over-playing this season, was the game's outstanding footballer.

His trickery and incisive runs hurt Millwall time and again, with full-back Robbie Ryan bearing the brunt of the youngster's repertoire of skills.

Millwall settled quickly, enjoying plenty of early touches as United struggled to get the ball.

Ryan Giggs and Ruud van Nistelrooy produced some good moments for us, but Cristiano Ronaldo was particularly outstanding

Gary Neville
    More Man Utd reaction
    Players remember Davis

But Sir Alex Ferguson's team quickly unveiled their attacking threat.

Ronaldo, wearing gold boots, crossed from the right after four minutes and Van Nistelrooy got across the Millwall defence only for his diving header to drift narrowly wide of Marshall's goal.

More inventive work from Ronaldo again exposed Millwall shortly afterwards.

The 19-year-old turned Ryan inside and out and crossed, but after the ball broke to Paul Scholes the England midfielder failed to make contact from six yards.

United continued to press and Marshall made a brilliant one-handed save to deny Keane, who thought he had opened the scoring with a swerving long-range strike.

KEY MOMENTS
    23 mins: Marshall brilliantly denies Keane
    44 mins: Ronaldo heads United in front
    64 mins: Van Nistelrooy scores from the penalty spot
    81 mins: Van Nistelrooy makes it three
    Action as it happened

Three minutes from the break Marshall only half saved a shot from Ronaldo and Darren Ward showed great positioning to hack the ball off the line.

But Ronaldo's superb first-half display was eventually rewarded with a goal.

United manoeuvred the ball crisply from left to right and Ronaldo attacked the far post to head Gary Neville's tempting cross past Marshall.

The goal was slightly unfortunate on Millwall, who had blunted United's attacking threat for large periods while enjoying moments of their own.

A cleverly taken short corner caught United flat in defence and Tim Howard had to punch the ball off Tim Cahill's head, while Paul Ifill broke down the right but had his shot blocked.

But their situation could have been even worse at the break after player-manager Wise repeatedly tangled with Paul Scholes.

We had a lot of youngsters out there and I told them they should be proud of themselves

Dennis Wise
    More Millwall reaction

Referee Jeff Winter however opted for a cautionary word with both players and ensured Wise left the field without further harming his team's cause.

A driving run from Darren Fletcher in the opening minutes of the second half signalled United's determination to take the game beyond Millwall.

Marshall also had to save from Scholes as United looked for a killer second goal.

Silvestre almost scored from United's 10th corner of the match, but Wise brilliantly headed off the line and Ryan booted the ball clear.

Just the professional performance we needed at Manchester United

From Bishop Blaize
    Have your say on 606

The decisive second goal did eventually come though in the 65th minute, and in emphatic style too.

Livermore fouled Giggs after a jinking run from the Welshman, and Van Nistelrooy smashed home the resulting penalty.

The prolific Dutchman was then in the right position to score United's third, sliding the ball home after more good work from Giggs.

With the game now beyond Millwall's reach, Ferguson made three substitutions - including goalkeeper Roy Carroll for Tim Howard - to give as many players as possible a slice of the glory.

Millwall also had time to make a significant substitution - Curtis Weston replacing Wise to become the youngest ever FA Cup finalist.

But while their fans will have enjoyed their day out, the match itself and celebrations afterwards certainly belonged to United as they wrapped up their 11th FA Cup triumph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I forgot, who whacked in the free kick that the keeper couldn't hold so that John O'Shea could score against one such relegation battler?
    And sure, who was that winger who got a brace in a 4-2 win over Arsenal?

• Advertisement

If you're talking about the liverpool match Ronaldo had an awful game then so it wouldn't be the best example!

Edit: Neither would Milwall either as well they'd Robbie Ryan playing for them and we all know how bad he is :p

Nunu wrote:
    Come on now don't be silly, there's no such thing as fact when it comes to naming man of the matches. All I know is that for me he was the outstanding performer in both those games.
    Here's a link i got from a quick search on the Millwall game that supports my claim:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/3725063.stm
    If there's no such thing as man of the match, then Rio was my man of the match today, anyways RVN scored twice so he got it.

Anyways, the highlights are on MOTD day now, the editing team have their work cut out to make this look half interesting.

All ribbing aside, Utd had the ability to win this if they had of played their own game and not tried to counter Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I dont understand ppl who hate to see a bad word against Ronaldo, watch every game played this season and see all the times he's played well. Its Englad he's overhyped, if he was as good as they make out to be he wouldnt be ****e for most of every match. Maybe its because the whole team has played awful in a lot of matches. Fair play to him he's got a lot of goals. I think i heard one of the BBC commentators saying Lampard has 21 goals this season, but you dont hear about that everyday in the paper. I wouldnt care if he scored no goals if he actually played well in every match. Utd shouldnt be depending on him for goals, they need van nistelrooys replacement for that. I really hate watching them now tbh even though I support them as they just drive me mad. Today they kept on playing long balls to Rooney of all people, ronaldo cant and shouldnt be allowed take free kicks, giggs shouldnt be allowed take corners, anytime they had the ball in their own box you were just waiting for one of them to feck up just like Fletcher did. They kept on passing the ball out to the left wing even though the players were being marked and there were much easier passes. They need a gattusso like player not owen fecking hargreaves who we would hardly of heard of if he didnt declare for england. They have the money, spend it on players who are gonna improve the team straight away not a few years down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Poor match, good result. United fans can't complain about that "goal" after the "goal" Tottenham were not given against them in the league in 2005.

If you're talking about the liverpool match Ronaldo had an awful game then so it wouldn't be the best example!

As yes, cause Drogba was great today aside from the goal wasn't he?

Big players do it on big days, even when they are playing ****. That said, players can't do it every single day, it's just not possible. The team has to chip in. It's why when Chelsea drew with Bolton, I didn't say, gee, looks like Drogba didn't show up today. Why? Cause its a stupid thing to say.
    Drogba has proved himself over the course of the season and in big games in the past. Ronnie has done the same. The fact that Drogba scored today and Ronnie didn't doesn't change a thing, and if you asked Drogba did it, he'd tell you you're a idiot.

• Advertisement

zabbo wrote:
    If there's no such thing as man of the match, then Rio was my man of the match today, anyways RVN scored twice so he got it.

Anyways, the highlights are on MOTD day now, the editing team have their work cut out to make this look half interesting.

All ribbing aside, Utd had the ability to win this if they had of played their own game and not tried to counter Chelsea.

What are you on? I never said there's no such thing as motm, but that it's not a matter of fact.
    Anyway, that's not the issue - you're right I don't know who the official motm was in both those games and I originally said he was, but what I meant was he performed exceptionally in both those game(best player in my opinion), so I stand by the crux of my original statement that the notion that he doesn't perform in big games is bull****.

Who'd tell me i was an idiot?
    Drogba nearly always played well this year and it'd be stupid to say
    gee, looks like Drogba didn't show up today.
    as he was rested for bolton!

Ronaldo has great talent but he's gone missing on all every game i've seen him against good defensive teams (Milwall don't count :p). Maybe its a confidence thing, as I've said many times he's got the potential to be a fantastic player. Until then i'll just think he's a very good player with great potential and ignore the hype.

Who'd tell me i was an idiot?
    Drogba nearly always played well this year and it'd be stupid to say as he was rested for bolton!

Ronaldo has great talent but he's gone missing on all every game i've seen him against good defensive teams (Milwall don't count :p). Maybe its a confidence thing, as I've said many times he's got the potential to be a fantastic player. Until then i'll just think he's a very good player with great potential and ignore the hype.

Do Arsenal?:p ;)

Sometimes... plus i didn't actually see that match... i do remeber he didnt' score a hat-trick tho so i'm sure he was proabably sh!te!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

What was the penalty shout that Fergie was on about :confused:

EDIT: Ah I see...the challenge on Giggs before the 'goal'.

Im not too disappointed tbh, we won the league and it was a VERY poor game today and we lost to a decent goal after 115 mins, wasnt as if we were played off the park or anything like it. We still could have lost the cup if it went to penaltys so lets not get the big stick out just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He scored twice, but then John O'Shea scored in that match too. Goals doesn't equal a good performance and I seem to remember at least one of Ronaldo's goals in that match being a tap in to an empty net.

Ronaldo's not as good as United fans/English press make him out to be. He's not as shít as United/Ronaldo haters think he is. That's about the jist of it.

Nunu wrote:
    so I stand by the crux of my original statement that the notion that he doesn't perform in big games is bull****.
    Today and Milan away, two of the biggest games of the season and he didn't show up, He will be a damn good player, but either Utd need to accomodate him in their team, or he needs to leave Utd.

zabbo wrote:
    Today and Milan away, two of the biggest games of the season and he didn't show up, He will be a damn good player, but either Utd need to accomodate him in their team, or he needs to leave Utd.

Well I sort of agree with you there. He needs to be put on the right wing and left there because he's the best right winger on the planet.

As regards the 2 games you highlighted i could mention Roma and Milan at home where he performed well, so you see what I'm getting at. We could be going back and forth forever. It just grates me how people can so easily dismiss him at not being able to perform in big games as if it's gospel when i can come up with plenty of big games off the top of my head he did perform in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

good to see chelsea win today, if only to stop utd winning the double.

besides, it would be a shame if the only thing chelsea had to show for a quarter of a billion pounds worth of transfers, was the coca cola cup.

as he was rested for bolton!

Really, who was that big black guy who came on at half time but couldn't change the game?

He didn't perform great to be honest. Although today, I really didn't think he was that bad. I'm pretty sure you didn't think he was that bad either.

In terms of rating the attacking talent today, he was up there imo. He didn't give the ball away at all really, it's just that when he got on the ball, he was instantly closed down. That said, he beat Ferriera like 3 times to put good balls in, but there was nobody in there to get on the end of them.

The whole issue with Ronaldo is laughable to be honest, as there isn't any fan in the world who wouldn't kill to have him in their team, and anyone who says otherwise is just deluding themselves.

I don't think he's the best player in the world, he might be currently the best right winger in the world, but there are quite a few better players than him this season. That said, I think the over-criticism of him just smacks of jealousy in every regard. Ronaldo wasn't great today, but neither was anybody on the pitch. The mere fact that people single out Ronaldo says it all to me.

---

p.s. I love the fact that Mourinho has actually convinced his players that they've had a horrible time this season, but come through it. ALl of them seem to think that they've done well this season, all things considering. Like it's actually one of the funniest things in the world these days, Mourinho moaning about how tough he has it with all his injuries. Today his bench has Cuddicini, Cole, Robben, Diarra and Kalou. But his players seem to believe it, it's nuts. I guess if you just keep saying it, non-stop, eventually, people will start to believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ronaldo was woeful defensively. a few times he was the nearest player to a loose ball or whoever of Chelsea was in possession but he would just leave it to others, even though you know with his speed he could have gotten there and won the ball, or at least applied pressure. put Heinze under a lot of needless pressure, it's an area of Ronaldo's game that seriously needs to be addressed.
    attacking wise he wasn't the worst, i thought Giggs had a much poorer game, which was a shame, i was hoping he'd put in a better performance considering the record he could have broken. he's really beginning to look like a spent force though.

United as a team though failed to get men into the box, Rooney would do well to get on the end of Scholes long ball but always looked isolated. they just were afraid to commit forward for a lot of the game. that's why the lost really, because they showed through Scholes' passing that they could penetrate the Chelsea backline. no one to blame but themselves really.
    PHB wrote:
    p.s. I love the fact that Mourinho has actually convinced his players that they've had a horrible time this season, but come through it. ALl of them seem to think that they've done well this season, all things considering. Like it's actually one of the funniest things in the world these days, Mourinho moaning about how tough he has it with all his injuries. Today his bench has Cuddicini, Cole, Robben, Diarra and Kalou. But his players seem to believe it, it's nuts. I guess if you just keep saying it, non-stop, eventually, people will start to believe it.

welll that just show's Mourinho's strongest point as a manager doesnt it? his ability to motivate and cultivate a real spirit in his teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

fade2black wrote:
    Is this the trolling that I keep getting accused of?

That's ridiculous.

Just because I'm happy that Manchester United lost - that makes me a troll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

History in the making lads..

Last team to win the FA Cup at the old Wembley and the first to win it at the new Wembley.

How many Cups have you got? We've got two Cups!
    (And I don't remember a season of injuries as bad as this one.)

Carling Cup. FA Cup, CL semi finalists and 2nd in the PL. Not a bad season at all, considering. :rolleyes:

Well done lads! KTBFFH! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Some of their fans don't know when to accept defeat. They are truly the most ungracious of supporters in defeat - one of the key reasons why they are disliked so much.

well thats just asking for trouble and it could be said about fans of every big club. Anybody i know in person isnt living in a bubble like some supporters on these boards. You mustnt like ppl you know then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

well thats just asking for trouble and it could be said about fans of every big club. Anybody i know in person isnt living in a bubble like some supporters on these boards. You mustnt like ppl you know then.

I said 'some' not 'all'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

kleefarr wrote:
    How many Cups have you got? We've got two Cups!
    (And I don't remember a season of injuries as bad as this one.)
    Or a season with so much extravagant spending either....

BaZmO* wrote:
    Or a season with so much extravagant spending either....

Extravagant spending? lol

I'll get you some figures. (Probably tomorrow.)

kleefarr wrote:
    Extravagant spending? lol

I'll get you some figures. (Probably tomorrow.)
    I'll wait in anticipation... *yawn*

BaZmO* wrote:

You know what's coming then! :rolleyes:

On what do you base you claims?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Worst final ever.

Cartoon_Head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Balls anyway I'm sickened, poor match, thought Utd were slightly better than Chelsea but it was a quality goal to win it. Thought Vidic and Ferdinand were excellant in their handling of Drogba. Found it was quite funny to hear Lampard and Terry say that winning the cup made up for not winning the league (talk about clutching at straws!) ;)
    Oh and I love the way this is already turining into a Ronaldo was awful thread! :rolleyes: He had as good a game as alot of people today (which isnt saying he had a great game but doesnt mean he was was the worst player on the pitch!), put in a couple of lovely crosses imo but there was just no one to convert them. Man Utd are really calling out for a top class striker who doesnt have shares in Bupa to be honest.
    As for the Giggs "goal", it was a stange one, i feel it technically should have stood seeing as the ref or linesman didnt give a free out to Cezh, but seeing as the linesmans view was obstructed by Smith and the ref couldnt possibly give the goal from where he was, playing on was the correct decision (God damm it!)

BaZmO* wrote:

Get your facts right before you open your mouth! PLEASE. ;)
    For example..

Man Utd's transfers in 2006/2007
    Players in
    Michael Carrick Tottenham £ 18600000 31-07-2006
    Total: £ 18,600,000

Chelsea's transfers in 2006/2007
    Players in
    Khalid Boulahrouz SV Hamburg £ 7000000 21-08-2006
    Ashley Cole Arsenal Signed 31-08-2006
    Total: £ 7,000,000

An expensive season. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, you can check here if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

kleefarr wrote:
    For example..

Man Utd's transfers in 2006/2007
    Players in
    Michael Carrick Tottenham £ 18600000 31-07-2006
    Total: £ 18,600,000

Players in

Edit: Oh, you can check here if you like.
    Do you honestly believe that Shevchenko, Kallou and Mikel were all signed during the 2005/2006 season just because each season is considered to start on 1st of July and end on the 30th June? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They paid 7 million quid for Bouhlarouz. AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kleefarr wrote:
    Players in

I'll assume you had drink taken?

Ballack, Shevchencko, Mikel add up to over £40m (plus Ballack's massive signing on fee), and Cole wasn't signed for a few shiny beads and a mirror...

• Advertisement

what about Kalou too? he wouldn't exactly be free either...

what about Kalou too? he wouldn't exactly be free either...
    wasn't far off it, under 1million I think, but who knows what kinda crazy promises / back handers were agreed with that deal.

zabbo wrote:
    wasn't far off it, under 1million I think, but who knows what kinda crazy promises / back handers were agreed with that deal.

yeah, 1million doesn't make a lick of sense for a player who has as much promise as Kalou had. this was the guy the dutch wanted to naturalize wasn't he? 1m couldn't be right...

Kalou was 8 million, according to the website you yourself used.

Chelsea's transfer this season:

Shevchenko - 30 million
    Kalou - 8 million
    Boularhouz - 7 million (ROFL)
    Mikel - 16 million
    Cole - Between 5-15 million I'd say, I heard 7

That's at least 64 million just last summer. When you take into account sales, it's a net spend of like 48 million.

Compare that to United,
    Carrick - 18 million

Net Spend: Howard - 3, Jones - 1, Ruud - 10

= Net spend of 2

Chelsea Net Spend: 48
    United Net Spend: 2
    welll that just show's Mourinho's strongest point as a manager doesnt it? his ability to motivate and cultivate a real spirit in his teams.

Yeh, it does, but it's still crazy.
    Man Utd are really calling out for a top class striker who doesnt have shares in Bupa to be honest.

That made me spit up my drink :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

kleefarr wrote:
    lol :)

If this guy really is a Chelsea fan... well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

can anybody on here say that they expected the game to be a great one? it panned out exactly as i had thought it would, tight and tough, with little chances. united were more adventurous with chelsea quite content to sit back and counter attack. most of the big games are played like this, its rare these days that any of the big games are excellent ones.

steve bennett made 2 big calls that were wrong, giggs was fouled by essien before the ball went over the line, he either gave a goal or a free out, but he bottled it. likewise,for the chelsea goal, he gave a foul against smith that was an excellent challenge. So instead of united having the ball in the chelsea half and on the attack, 10 seconds later, the ball was in the united net. 2 big decisions which cost united dearly.

still all in all, its been a great season for united, disappointed, but we won what we wanted. yesterday would have been a welcome bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

PHB wrote:
    Kalou was 8 million, according to the website you yourself used.

Chelsea's transfer this season:

Shevchenko - 30 million
    Kalou - 8 million
    Boularhouz - 7 million (ROFL)
    Mikel - 16 million
    Cole - Between 5-15 million I'd say, I heard 7

That's at least 64 million just last summer. When you take into account sales, it's a net spend of like 48 million.

Compare that to United,
    Carrick - 18 million

Net Spend: Howard - 3, Jones - 1, Ruud - 10

= Net spend of 2

Chelsea Net Spend: 48
    United Net Spend: 2

Yeh, it does, but it's still crazy.

That made me spit up my drink
    Don't forget, Mikel actually only cost £8mil last summer (and the other £8mil will be this summer).

Also....

Gudjohnsen about £8mil to Barca.

Huth to 'Boro is another £6mil.

Duff to Newcastle about £5mil.

Jarosik - something like £2mil to Celtic

Carlton Cole to WHU - i heard £2mil, could be wrong though.

So, id say Chelsea spent about £58mil, sold players for £23 = net spend £35mil.

My head hurts! :(

Don't forget, Mikel actually only cost £8mil last summer (and the other £8mil will be this summer).

United bought Rooney for 30 million, payments of which took over three years, you'd still say he cost 30 million though. Payments over the long term are very common, so I'd put Mikel at 16.

I did forget about Gusjohnson though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Match of the day was on? :confused: Bollix, I checked the paper and was suprised that neither RTE 2 or the BBC was showing highlights, wanted to see it :(

Well, only saw the crap highlights on Sky News, from what Ive heard it wasnt great but Im pleased for Chelsea regardless, as Id said earlier I thought they were looking too mentally tired to take it but well done to them. Hope its enough for Abramovich not to make the frankly ridiculous decision (if it happens) to fire The Mouth :) re the Cech save, as said I didnt see much of the highlights, however it appeared whoever (Giggs was it?) crashed into him. If he fell over the line with the ball in his hands due to what would technically be regarded as pushing (in my view) surely it should be disallowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

FA Cup finals tend not to be great spectacles for neutrals, last year's was something of a freak I think. The game improved drastically in the second half anyway, as both teams made more of an effort to go and win it.

I really can't see the foul on Giggs for the disallowed goal. Giggs made the decision that he wasn't going to reach the ball without sliding in, so he slid in along the ground. The poor contact he made with the ball ca'nt be blamed on contact coming from anyone else, from watching all the available angles. Bennett's view of it might be that he disallowed the goal for a foul on Cech and then played the advantage rather than give a free, as it's not very advantageous taking a free out from that position.

I thought Chelsea shaded it over the entire game, too many of United's players either failed to turn up completely (Fletcher, Ronaldo), or else made absolutely no impact on the game (Carrick), or else didn't make as much of an impact as I thought they were capable of (Giggs, Scholes). In contrast, I thought although no-one really stood out for Chelsea, everyone stepped up and did the necessary as a team.

kleefarr wrote:
    My head hurts! :(
    From talking sh1t?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

can anybody on here say that they expected the game to be a great one? it panned out exactly as i had thought it would, tight and tough, with little chances. united were more adventurous with chelsea quite content to sit back and counter attack. most of the big games are played like this, its rare these days that any of the big games are excellent ones.
    Spot on.Fear football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

United - Roma both legs? United - Milan both legs? Chelsea - Arsenal Carling Cup final? Chelsea - Liverpool at Anfield in the league last year? Chelsea- Spurs in the FA Cup this season? I wouldn't say fear football has taken over. I also don't see where the evidence lies for United being more keen to attack yesterday than Chelsea. United are generally a more attack-minded team than Chelsea; I don't think many would dispute that; but United were just as guilty of sitting back yesterday as Chelsea were.

While I think that United were uncharteristic defensive, I think it's this post sums it all up,
    Mark wrote:
    I'm really enjoying these Essien-Terry-Lampard-Essien-Terry-Lampard passing triangles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement