Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Java Certification

Options
  • 16-05-2007 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

I'm a 2nd year student in LIT doing programming and was wondering if their was any merit in doing some of the Sun Java certifications to increase my chances of getting into a Java development role when I graduate?

Also, is it really difficult to get into Java development without experience, despite all I'm reading about chronic shortages? If employers don't take people on without experience then how can they gripe about a shortage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

Hi,

A sun cert will do you no harm. Infact it would probably hold more credit than most 3 level programming modules.

There are plenty of graduate java roles out there, don’t be discouraged by ‘minimum experience’ requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It will help. It won't help if your school work suffers because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

I found it very, very useful as preparation for the technical tests in interviews. Even after years of java experience I would never have passed some of the technical interviews without this exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

did u guys do the training as well? $450 for that and then $200 for the exam is steep...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Call_me_al wrote:
    did u guys do the training as well? $450 for that and then $200 for the exam is steep...
    No, you definitely don't need the training. Just a book will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

can you do the exam in ireland or does it require a trip to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Call_me_al wrote:
    can you do the exam in ireland or does it require a trip to the UK?
    You can do it here.

The exam isn't at all easy and requires in depth knowledge about every little feature and nuance of Java.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭massplanck

Hey.

I am just about to finish my degree (only 1 exam left!!), and plan on spending the next two/three months studying flat out for my Java Certification.

I did a Certification primer course in UL a few months back, which was basically a boot camp for students who were thinking about pursuing a career in Java.
    It covers alot and i mean alot of subject matter and the questions on the exams are purposely designed to confuse and trick you into making mistakes! Its a pretty difficult exam, but its something i really want to pursue, so i'm going to take most of the summer off to nail it.

Most employers seem to be looking for at least 2 years experience, but I'm guessing having the SJCP on my CV will make me much more attractive to employers.
    /S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

If you are worried about Expr then you can always try out http://www.fdmgroup.com/ they have Java/C# streams I'm doing the Java stream atm - just finishing off the Oracle/SQL/PL/SQL module. So after that it takes about 4 months+ to complete their Java course. They also offer J2EE/EJB stuff and are very professional. Most of the work they get you is in London so you will need to move to the UK for nearly 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

And they pay you 12k sterling + 6 pounds an hour. The pay is absolute ****e :)

If you're a graduate dont bother with these tests. Your main pull as a graduate is your eagerness to learn new things. You should be showing that you're capable of picking up a technical skill on the job in a short space of time.

Knowing how to create java applications is no where near as useful as understanding comp sci concepts which a lot of IT's and colleges dont seem to teach students.

Apply for some of the company initiatieves and work experience opportunities that are out there instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

damnyanks wrote:
    Knowing how to create java applications is no where near as useful as understanding comp sci concepts which a lot of IT's and colleges dont seem to teach students.

A few years ago, one of the grads in work was doing these certs,
    and most of the senior developers 10+ years failed the demo tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Ok - I don't actually know whats on the tests not looked at them. But I'm assuming its API specific stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

In my opinion it is a good idea to get certified, especially if you are lacking industry experience, it will stand to you more when comes to looking for a job.
    Finish your finals and then spend some time studying the book(s) and then try a few mock exams, the best way to test yourself is through mock exams.

And don't get disheartened if you fail the first time, it can be tricky at the best of times :)

Advertisement