Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneezing Bunny

Options
  • 16-05-2007 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

well I have my bunny nearly 2 weeks now, since we got him he's been sneezing I didnt put much passed this until yesterday I picked him up and his nose is filthy. He's snow white and his nose is now yellow his front paws are also filthy, can I clean these? If so how? Does he have a cold? I called the pet shop to see if any of the other bunnies were like this but they fobbed me off. So will I bring him to the Vet?
    Also He licks everything so could it just be an allergic reaction to something he's been at. I wasnt too concerned till the fur round his nose went yellow yesterday so what do i do, i cant really see any discharge only tiny little snots (excuse the language)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

Clear, watery dischareg is normal but thick, white or yellow discharge signals infection -probably pasteurella. (Taken from book on rabbits). Personally I would bring him to the vet for a check up - if only to set your mind at rest that he is fine. I know that rabbits can get respiratory infections that quickly lead to pneumonia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Take the bunny to the vet - sounds like he needs antibiotics etc.

Keep us posted on his progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

Got home last nite and he wasnt sneezinf at all his nose is still dirty but no discharge, my boyfriend moved the water thing up a bit in height he said the water was going up the bunnies nose....could this have been causing it?

Also I only have the littlin a week and a half hes been sneezing since we got him do you think the pet shop is liable I went in yesterday and they claim their rabbits are fine though i did notice the ones in with my bunny have been isolated?!?!?

BRING HIM TO THE VET. Golden rule with pets - if you think there is something wrong, get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You MUST take the rabbit to the vet now! The rabbit is obviusly ill and rabbits can die very quickly if not treated fast. The rabbit needs antibiotics (usually baytril) and to be kept warm the rabbit may develope pneumonia so this needs to be taken very seriously if a rabbit even appears ill a trip to the vet is a must. Rabbits hide theie illness very very well and it's only when they are severe that they start showing more obvious signs. Please don't delay any longer.
    If the rabbit has stopped sneezing it could be just that the infection has now gone into his chest.

• Advertisement

Hey
    Just thought id update. Bunny is good now we went to the vet yesterday as he was very down in himself not up running aroung etc so he got his injection and antibiotics. When we got him home he took a little nap then was up flying around the place he's still eating and drinking fine and his eyes arent weepy just his nose. I bought him a little fleece bed online yesterday and have given him a cuddly toy to snuggle up to and keep warm till he gets the bed. So fingers crossed he'll only get better. We're stuck between butters and bailey as a name lol

My puppy is called Bailey!!

yeh there was a dog in the vets last nite called bailey n i thought it was a nice name, was thinking of callin him snuffles but it might be back luck calling him after his illness lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Did the vet give you some antibiotics to give to him at home as well if so a pro biotic is important to give him too acedopholis in the capsule from chemist cut open and squeezed onto his veg will help with replacing any good bacteria lost.
    He could be one of those snuffle rabbits prone to 'the snuffles' as they call it so keeping him well out of draughts and indoors would be a must and a close eye kept on him esp. if he begins sneezing. Also if there are any woodchips/shavings about don't use them as they can irritate some rabbits.

Did the vet give you some antibiotics to give to him at home as well if so a pro biotic is important to give him too acedopholis in the capsule from chemist cut open and squeezed onto his veg will help with replacing any good bacteria lost.
    He could be one of those snuffle rabbits prone to 'the snuffles' as they call it so keeping him well out of draughts and indoors would be a must and a close eye kept on him esp. if he begins sneezing. Also if there are any woodchips/shavings about don't use them as they can irritate some rabbits.

Yes we got the antibiotic to give him at home its for 6 days then he's going back for a check up.
    He's an inside rabbit and well out of any drafts. Whenever anyone is home is out of his cage with us so he's always being watched we are trying to house train him and he does get a lot of attention. I have great hope he'll get through this cos he is in high spirits after his nap yesterday evening i suppose coming to us for more cuddles than usual but he's running around kicking his legs up, into everything, devouring his food so im sure he'll be fine fingers crossed

• Advertisement
Advertisement