Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who's happy with 3?

• 16-05-2007 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

i decided to start yet another 3 related thread. everyone seems to be giving out about them so i want to see how many happy customers they have on boards. i'm not happy because:

1. they pretended they couldn't unlock phones for over a year

2. they tried to fob me off with a crap phone instead of a 6680 and when it broke they tried to say that there was no warranty on it. it took 3 months for them to replace it with a decent phone

3. now that they've admitted to being able to unlock phones they still won't do it on bill unless you end your contract

4. they blame everyone else for their problems (eg the multiple text problem)

5. their customer care is staffed by robots who don't know anything, can't help you with anything and think you're in england

6. their roaming is crap and extremely expensive

7. they purposely block certain things on the internet and then deny doing so

8. they think we'll pay a euro for a clip of father ted i've seen 100 times before

there's an awful lot more i can't think of at the moment. add yourself to the poll and put your horror stories (or not) here :)

happy with 3? 78 votes

happy but have never had to call them
    0% 0 votes
    had problems that were sorted quickly and easily
    14% 11 votes
    had problems that took ages to fix
    30% 24 votes
    had problems that were never fixed
    10% 8 votes
    have had problems that were caused by customer care not knowing anything
    16% 13 votes
    was thinking of joining them until i read the threads here
    12% 10 votes
    left/am going to leave because they pissed me off too much
    15% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I'm delighted with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I'm happy:

1. Free calls to my girlfriend and some of my mates.

2. Overall cheaper prices than I would've paid to other networks for my personal usage.

3. Mobile broadband/gmail etc

4. Any customer care issues have been dealt with swiftly and without any hassle.

5. "3 Like Home" in Italy and the UK.

As far as I can see, some people have been treated badly by 3, which is unacceptable.

So far (8 months into my first contract), I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I'm happy because:

- Reasonable good Three Portal (wall garden) and it's free
    - Just finished my 1 year contract and they gave me the following for free for signing another 12 month contract - Free phone (N70)
    - 10% discount monthly rental for 12month
    - Free unlock code for my 6280
    - Free 3 Pay sim-card and credit
    - Free roaming using up to half of included monthly minutes in all countries with 3 network - includes UK, Hong Kong, etc...
    - Cheapest pay monthly call plans on any network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm very happy with them.

Although:
    1. I can't get my VPN to work using a datacard. And they don't know why it doesn't :rolleyes:
    2. The website is terrible! Its not as clear as they think it is!
    3. Come on 3, bring in some free webtexts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

I wanted to leave them because of their 2 recent outrages but finally, I and my wife, we decided to stay with them because:

- for €24/month we have unlimited minutes (she's on contract, I'm on 3pay)
    - 5c texts
    - Formula 1 news (and many others) for free :D
    - I broke my SE k800i, they sent me a brand new phone back, lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I was thinking of switching to 3 until I read the threads here. When there's more positive feedback here, I may reconsider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Im with 3 since august 2005 nearly 2 years and had big problems with them at first. E.g porting of my number and messing up bills etc.

But they were teething issues from a new network and since december 2005 I havent had a problem and they are crazy cheap.

39euro 200 mins and 200 texts add another 4euro free calls to my brother and a number of other people on 3 that I know. Mobile bb and I can ring the uk without worrying about my bill.

They have good phones although not a great selection but they have been slow rollling out new features and phones.

Im very happy with them and dont plan on changing network anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

"had problems that were sorted quickly and easily"

Id love to know what these probelms were? you would thnk sending out a new Sim card would be a small problem sorted quickly and easily but no, weeks it too to come, and not just for me.

culabula I really am starting to think you work for Three or have never had anything go wrong..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

ye, cula is an insider. FACT:D

am i happy with 3?

does a bear **** in the woods.?????

"had problems that were sorted quickly and easily"

Id love to know what these probelms were? you would thnk sending out a new Sim card would be a small problem sorted quickly and easily but no, weeks it too to come, and not just for me.

culabula I really am starting to think you work for Three or have never had anything go wrong..................

I have been very precise and clear about what did go wrong for me: the dataSIM did not roam for me in Italy for *data* as part of 3 like Home. It worked for voice/SMS only. The CC was really helpful and decent. They refunded part line rental on foot of my calls and back in Ireland they organised a refund of all the calls that I was charged for to CC while in Italy. The credit hit my account in the time it took for me to leave the shop and log on to Planet 3!!

As I told you before a replacement SIM took 8 weeks to get to me from 3 UK so it isn't just 3IRL that are at fault. Hopefully glitches like this are no longer the case.

I never have to ring either 3UK or 3IRL any more and on that basis alone I am very happy.

• Advertisement

legs11 wrote:
    ye, cula is an insider. FACT:D

am i happy with 3?

Hmm, would you like to make a bet on that *fact*? Oh no, hold on you're the one that's always threatening to bet and then won't put his money where his mouth is!

The modem is out tomorrow: how was Mars, by the way?

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I voted "problem that has never been fixed". This is the repeatedly texting people who are roaming thing. Other than that I am very happy with them.

legs11 wrote:

am i happy with 3?

Apparently bears are very keen on defecating in the woods, forests, national parks etc. So I'm delighted to learn that you are happy with 3 and are adding your voice to the majority of happy people here.

Free toilet roll tomorrow with every USB modem!

cula, if i get a smoooooth transaction over moving my data card to their new tariff i will take back the flight to mars, by all accounts it would take a while to get there anyway, i mean. should be back in time for the dublin metro in 3012 etc......

legs11 wrote:
    cula, if i get a smoooooth transaction over moving my data card to their new tariff i will take back the flight to mars, by all accounts it would take a while to get there anyway, i mean. should be back in time for the dublin metro in 3012 etc......

Up. Yard. Get.

Until now, you said the modem would not come out in May! Now you're changing tack and your new gripe before anything happens is that the data tariff will not change fast enough for you!

Well, you have a point. The modem is not in the shops at time of writing but should be at 1500 tomorrow, so until then you may have your moment of glory here on earth.

I have here in my mitts the following in black and white: "Can current 3datacard contracts can they change to the new tariffs (sic)? Yes, but new price plan will only take effect from customers next bill cycle".

Maybe Mars is a bit ambitious.

culabula wrote:
    So I'm delighted to learn that you are happy with 3 and are adding your voice to the majority of happy people here.

You can not be serious? I have put up with you until now, but no more. You are either being paid by Three to come on to these boards and make stupid unfounded statements like the one above, have you looked at the poll results? Or you are a "Fanboy" of Three's, maybe the first of your kind! I really don't get why you would defend a company so much...............and no I don't want an answer to that question

If you are working for Three, or even if your not, you seem to have some inside knowledge, (It pains me to use that word when talking about Three) in whatever way, I think your time would be better spent by using what ever contact you have to get customers problems solved, not by giving us "BREAKING NEWS" on when something is coming out and then having mindless banter with someone else about who knows more. You will post a video of "Unboxing" some new phone next...........with a sound track of Ohh's and Ahh's.

You can not be serious? I have put up with you until now, but no more. You are either being paid by Three to come on to these boards and make stupid unfounded statements like the one above, have you looked at the poll results? Or you are a "Fanboy" of Three's, maybe the first of your kind! I really don't get why you would defend a company so much...............and no I don't want an answer to that question

If you are working for Three, or even if your not, you seem to have some inside knowledge, (It pains me to use that word when talking about Three) in whatever way, I think your time would be better spent by using what ever contact you have to get customers problems solved, not by giving us "BREAKING NEWS" on when something is coming out and then having mindless banter with someone else about who knows more. You will post a video of "Unboxing" some new phone next...........with a sound track of Ohh's and Ahh's.

Lighten up, will you! I'm only ribbing Mister legs11. I don't work for 3, any telecoms company, know precious little about them. Like yourself I am an end user and I thought it useful to update people to forthcoming technology such as the USB modem as opposed to the datacard when and if I get such info. We have had this yoke mooted since last February and I for one, am really looking forward to it.

What a ridiculous reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

So anyone who disagrees with your "outrage" about three are now fanboys are they? Give me a break. Legs has moaned non stop about the fact that he got charged a huge amount by going bittorrent happy on their data card. The fact that billing screwed up royally and didn't refund it as promised is a separate incident. Legs also moaned about instability on his n73 and mentioned he'd flashed it to music edition. Now i've done similar things myself but done so in the full knowledge that i was taking a risk. Now its not necessarily the case that the instability would be caused by the firmware but if you took it into a nokia service centre legs wouldn't have a leg (ok that was bad) to stand on - they'd declare the warranty null and void.

I know someone who had a billing issue for calls they never made with o2 so its not just a three problem. Someone also was moaning about potentially having to take out another 12month contract to get an upgrade to a usb modem or huffing that there wouldn't be a swap of an existing pcmcia card for the new usb yoke. There was another complaint about getting a free handset and not being told it was an upgrade! I mean come on! What did they think it was! On another point theres no such thing as a free upgrade from most customers on o2 or vodafone.
    You'd swear some of these people never knew what a mobile phone contract was or entailed!

"Breaking News" is something thats fairly easy to get if you know either where to look or who to ask, normally a friendly "techy" sales rep will show you a few docs if theres stuff incoming.... i know i used to when i was working for o2.

Why would i defend three? Well for my circumstances they offer fantastic value for money, if i was with o2 the amount of data and calls i use within the roi and to ni and uk would come in around a minimum of €90 and thats assuming i would do all texting via aft which works when o2's website decides to work. With use over and above that my current usage my bills would climb well over the hundred. My bills on average are around €60-70 with three after going outside my 200mins(of which a minimum half will be to the uk) and 200 texts and 100mb of data. so i'm pretty happy to sing their praises. Vodafone worked out even more expensive because of the data and meteors data charges are on the steep side as well.

Yes the locking situation was/is a farce as was/is the slowness of firmware upgrades for handsets. I have no problem saying that whoever came up with the locking policy should be dragged out and beaten with dirty bog brushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

neilled wrote:
    Yes the locking situation was/is a farce as was/is the slowness of firmware upgrades for handsets. I have no problem saying that whoever came up with the locking policy should be dragged out and beaten with dirty bog brushes.
    i just found out that there's a guy in tallaght who will unlock all bb5's for €30. i don't like to mention the name of the company because the owner was banned from here for spamming. lets see if the name still changes to asterisks: ********

edit: yup :) if anyone wants the name pm me

neilled wrote:
    So anyone who disagrees with your "outrage" about three are now fanboys are they? Give me a break. Legs has moaned non stop about the fact that he got charged a huge amount by going bittorrent happy on their data card. The fact that billing screwed up royally and didn't refund it as promised is a separate incident. Legs also moaned about instability on his n73 and mentioned he'd flashed it to music edition. Now i've done similar things myself but done so in the full knowledge that i was taking a risk. Now its not necessarily the case that the instability would be caused by the firmware but if you took it into a nokia service centre legs wouldn't have a leg (ok that was bad) to stand on - they'd declare the warranty null and void.

I know someone who had a billing issue for calls they never made with o2 so its not just a three problem. Someone also was moaning about potentially having to take out another 12month contract to get an upgrade to a usb modem or huffing that there wouldn't be a swap of an existing pcmcia card for the new usb yoke. There was another complaint about getting a free handset and not being told it was an upgrade! I mean come on! What did they think it was! On another point theres no such thing as a free upgrade from most customers on o2 or vodafone.
    You'd swear some of these people never knew what a mobile phone contract was or entailed!

"Breaking News" is something thats fairly easy to get if you know either where to look or who to ask, normally a friendly "techy" sales rep will show you a few docs if theres stuff incoming.... i know i used to when i was working for o2.

Why would i defend three? Well for my circumstances they offer fantastic value for money, if i was with o2 the amount of data and calls i use within the roi and to ni and uk would come in around a minimum of €90 and thats assuming i would do all texting via aft which works when o2's website decides to work. With use over and above that my current usage my bills would climb well over the hundred. My bills on average are around €60-70 with three after going outside my 200mins(of which a minimum half will be to the uk) and 200 texts and 100mb of data. so i'm pretty happy to sing their praises. Vodafone worked out even more expensive because of the data and meteors data charges are on the steep side as well.

You blabbered on far too long there for me to address all the points you made. All i will say in reply is, I know companies make mistakes, or should i say people make mistakes, I don't have a problem with it, I make mistakes every day. Its how they choose to deal with them that makes the difference. Example, one of my cars has been in the garage for over 2 months because the wrong part was sent twice...........my contact at the garage is not at fault, he has explained the situation to me and i understand what is going on.............end of story, I as the customer am being kept informed, wow what a concept.

Three time and time again pass the buck and its impossible to get someone to own the problem, I have had problems with Vodafone and O2 both here and in the UK and yes they too can be out of order and not have a clue but and its a big but, they will resolve the problem in the end.

Threes market share speaks for itself, both here and in the UK, being the newest network will not wash anymore for both poor market share and poor quality of service.

• Advertisement

ehhhhhh gods

give cula a break. 3 are not too bad if they sorted out their customer service, i mean they are TRYING to offer good deals to punters, with the new broadband scheme.

i mean, compared to what we put up with other telcos.

we are living in rip off ireland and nothing is easy.

legs11 wrote:
    ehhhhhh gods

give cula a break. 3 are not too bad if they sorted out their customer service, i mean they are TRYING to offer good deals to punters, with the new broadband scheme.

i mean, compared to what we put up with other telcos.

we are living in rip off ireland and nothing is easy.
    this is true. on paper they look like a great network. they have really cheap calls (in ireland) and their data packages are well beyond the competition. the problem is in their bizarre restrictions and polices and of course the mumbains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

this is true. on paper they look like a great network. they have really cheap calls (in ireland) and their data packages are well beyond the competition. the problem is in their bizarre restrictions and polices and of course the mumbains

This is my quibble also. They could be a great network if they actually tried. For example why can't we have X-series as they have in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

This is my quibble also. They could be a great network if they actually tried. For example why can't we have X-series as they have in the UK?

3 are rolling out X-series in Ireland, it's just taking some extra time. They have even specifically stated many times, including in an official press release about early 2007, that it will become available in Ireland soon.

Delays happen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

3 are rolling out X-series in Ireland, it's just taking some extra time. They have even specifically stated many times, including in an official press release about early 2007, that it will become available in Ireland soon.

Delays happen.

Just after googling x-series. Sounds brilliant. Can't wait for it. Wonder what vodafone and o2 will do when they launch it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

I've been with 3 now for just over a year and agree that their costs are very good.

Haven't had a problem that I've had to go through their helpdesk for so cant comment on it but in D15 I've never had any signal problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Am very happy with them despite some negatives

1. No US roaming for 3pay - how stupid is that :confused:
    2. No internal ports, i.e. from 3pay to pay monthly :mad:
    3. Stupid policies for unlock codes
    4. Bloody slow at getting decent phones out there - no Nokia E-series phones :(

On the plus side
    1. Mobile BB is fantastic :cool:
    2. 3 portal has really good content, and is free.:)
    3. Roaming on 3 in UK/Italy is so easy and cheap :D

As for x-series
    Why bother... For €19 + €6 a month I get 100mins Voice, and 100MB BB.
    I use fring for skype, msn and google talk, and a SIP based VOIP client
    I can use orb for streaming music and/or video (don't get much of this in the 100MB a month ;)) from my PC at home.

RikD wrote:
    Am very happy with them despite some negatives

As for x-series
    Why bother... For €19 + €6 a month I get 100mins Voice, and 100MB BB.
    I use fring for skype, msn and google talk, and a SIP based VOIP client
    I can use orb for streaming music and/or video (don't get much of this in the 100MB a month ;)) from my PC at home.

UK X-series is currently the equivalent of 8€ a month and provides 1GB of data -I guess that's why. I'm using it right now to post this. on an E61 paired with my MacBook as a modem. It's far more reliable than 3 IRL's dataSIM in my N95 or 6630 -so much so, that I can no longer understand why I have the datacard account at 39€ a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I'm kind of happy.

I love the 3 portal, and now the mobile tv is pretty good.
    5 cent texts.

Not happy with the mobile bb, stopped getting it with all the restrictions on 3pay.
    Not happy that when I ordered my phone from the 3 online store last summer it took 2 weeks (despite saying next day delivery) to arrive after being messed around with no explanation.

Not happy that I had to take them to the small claims court for not replacing my phone when it got the white screen.

Not happy that I couldn't keep my number when I got a new phone.

For a while I hated them but the features they offer are good.

• Advertisement

I'm kind of happy.

I love the 3 portal, and now the mobile tv is pretty good.
    5 cent texts.

Not happy with the mobile bb, stopped getting it with all the restrictions on 3pay.
    Not happy that when I ordered my phone from the 3 online store last summer it took 2 weeks (despite saying next day delivery) to arrive after being messed around with no explanation.

Not happy that I had to take them to the small claims court for not replacing my phone when it got the white screen.

Not happy that I couldn't keep my number when I got a new phone.

For a while I hated them but the features they offer are good.
    and there we have the problem again. good services run by idiots

Advertisement