Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you hide your religion?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

This is a complex question to answer. There are so many situations and exceptions to the rule. Simply put, no, I dont hide my beliefs (I dont have a reiligion). But it some situations I might not volunteer information, but in saying that I tend to take an overall approach of "each to their own". As in, I'll discuss philosphies but I wont be forceful about anything, which would be a fault I would put with a lot of other peoples beliefs/religions.

What is it they say: Don't discuss religion, politics or *something else I forget that is generally an awkward issue*.

But the reality is, people fear what they do not understand. So, people "hiding" their beliefs doesnt lessen their strenght or the depth of their belief, it's merely protecting them from negative reactions and having to explain themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

First of assuming everyone who has never posted in this forum is Pagan is incorrect
    the same was as concluding anyone who has posted in the christianty forum is christain.

Some ofthe idffernt types of paganism don't have declared doctrines and they are a voyage of discovery for a person who is trying to figure out what they believe which can be hard enough with out having to explain ti to others when they don't know yet.

Some people don't see the point in telling family as they will not understand or get it or can have very strong reactions to it.

I this country unless you have a noticibly darker skin people assume that you are catholic or at least christain and some people don't see the point of having to educate every person they speak to and this can include those in the work place.

This is know as being in the broom closet ane there are a lot more people in there in this country then you could guess.

Some people are not in the broom closet and thier family and firends know but their childrens school or the neighbours don't know and as far as they are concerned don't need to know.

My friends and family know that I am pagan but it is not something I will bring into ramdom conversation with a person I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Also the useage of the word wiccan in that piece is incorrect, it isbeing used to denote electic paganism and witch craft and not Wicca the fertility cult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Thaedydal wrote:
    My friends and family know that I am pagan but it is not something I will bring into ramdom conversation with a person I don't know.

I pretty much don't mention anything about what i believe or don't believe at work. Some know where i am tending to go and where as thaed says, my voyage of discovery is leading me personally. (though a friend gave me a lovely little charm and i wear it at work)
    That is the crux for me... "personally".

It is interesting as two nights ago my brother said that his wife was having a meal with a woman who he described as a "nutter" because she was openly a "white" witch. So he stopped when i began my next sentence with "well actually......."

I thought at the time that the woman describing herself as "white" and thinking back to a previous thread, indicated that she was concerned about public perception.

I mean, anyone watch the latest episode of danziel and pascoe on BBC??

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

I do not lie to people about my religion (druidry) but I do not advertise my beliefs. I live in Wexford, which is not well known for progressive attitudes, hence I work on the assumption that most local people have prejudices against paganism. Paganism is frightening to many Catholics, in the same way as Islam is, however it is not even regarded as a 'proper' religion by many - more akin to a perversion/inversion of Christianity. I do believe that if I were to advertise my religion it could have a detrimental affect on my business and also my family life.

If it is clear that a person I meet is fairly open-minded then I will discuss my beliefs if it seems appropriate. I think it is a personal and private issue anyway, and I do not like militancy/evangelism; I would see sexuality and politics in a similar way.

I wear a pentacle and a yew ogham stick, however, these are under my shirt where no-one else can see them. I am comfortable with that, I know that they are there, I do not feel the need to show physically my beliefs to others, except by my behaviour in society. Badges demonstrate your allegiance to a religion but in a very superficial way.

I have personally suffered taunts and ridicule from family members and harmless jokes from some of my friends, however I am not particularly concerned about ignorant opinions so long as people do not attempt to interfere in my life and curtail my freedom. In time I think non-Christian religions will be genuinely tolerated, but I think that rural Ireland is slow in changing.

I believe in freedom of religion and tolerance, it is a great pity that intolerance is entrenched in so many religious practices. Changing that is one of the greatest challenges facing humanity.

www.electricpublications.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

As the others have said, I don't go around advertising my beliefs. For ages I tried to hide them, but in my family personal boundaries fluxuate to suit the need and I have some very interesting books on my shelves. So I occassionally go through the slagging and jibes but it isn't all that important to them. It is however something I actively avoid bringing up in educational institutes and the workplace. Not only would it take way too long to explain to everyone, but a superiors intolerance could cause me alot of problems. In an inter-personal setting I've only reluctantly brought it up when it seems appropriate, because I've come across alot of unfounded anger and aggression from quite alot of people. Like the saying goes, there's a time and a place for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lilwyrdsis

I don't think of myself as hiding my religion / Spirituality but I tend to keep quiet about it in work etc. I think it is a very personal thing and my own business.

People have accused me of not being open but I have no time for the "in your face" brigade. I think I am secure enough in myself not to have to make a huge deal of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I don't know the religion of anybody that works with me. Nobody wears any overt religious symbols, or really ever mentions anything about religion at all. Does that mean that we are all hiding our religion ... or does it just mean that religion really isn't an issue in my workplace, or in pretty much any situation I encounter day to day.

Hiding your religion from friends or family is another thing, I can understand why people do, or may feel they have to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I have a lot of philisophical discussions with my friends. But would never go into it unless asked about what I think of something. It's a symptom of my LC Religion class I think :D I differ a lot with some, but we find that it's constructive talking with eachother about faith and spirituality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Thaedydal wrote:
    Also the useage of the word wiccan in that piece is incorrect, it isbeing used to denote electic paganism and witch craft and not Wicca the fertility cult.
    Yes. Kind of ironic since Wicca has rules that say you keep quiet if you have to to keep people safe, and nothing at all about seeing being open as a good thing.

I'm completely open, but that's something I can choose to be since in my life (live in Dublin, work in IT) it's hardly a big deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement