Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement for Vista

• 16-05-2007 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

Found a great OS to replace windows Vista

its called windows XP

check this out...
    • COLOURFUL themes (for those tire of dark brown vista)
    • OS has been slimlined for much faster boot times and system responsiveness
    • much more compatibal with your hardware and software... Plus the annoying security prompts have been removed
    • runs great on only 256mb of ram
    • network settings have been made much easier

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Um, lol...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

COLOURFUL themes (for those tire of dark brown vista)
    You can change the colours in Vista, it's in the control panel.
    OS has been slimlined for much faster boot times and system responsiveness
    I don't know about you, but the boot time for Vista Home Premium is considerably quicker than the boot time was for my copy of XP Home on the same computer.
    much more compatibal with your hardware and software... Plus the annoying security prompts have been removed
    Granted I don't have a Creative Sound Card, but on a computer where none of the components were sold as "Vista Compatable" everything works exactly as required. The only thing that didn't was my ATI x1950 Pro, and that only happened when I upgraded to Catalyst 7.3. Back to 7.1 now and it works perfectly, suggesting it's an ATI issue, not an MS one. Security prompts can be disabled quite easily and if you're capable there are hacks available to reduce how annoying they are while retaining their function.
    runs great on only 256mb of ram
    Fair enough, but it's 2007 and if you're still running with 256mb of ram then you have no business using a modern operating system.
    network settings have been made much easier
    Are there network issues in Vista? We have an elaborate wireless network in my house, and Vista is quite happy to work with it. It's incredibly straight forward and very powerful. It looks different to XP alright... But the functionality on a basic level is identical.

I realise your post was in jest... But Vista gets a hard time unnecessarily and generally unjustly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Farouk.Bulsara

mukki wrote:

How about Mac OS X?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, that's pretty bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,687 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mukki wrote:

its called windows XP

Might as well go the whole hog and install DOS 6.22. Doesn't have any of those problems although you'll spend a lot of time getting stuff out of that first 640KB ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nuada

mukki wrote:

its called windows XP

check this out...
    • COLOURFUL themes (for those tire of dark brown vista)
    • OS has been slimlined for much faster boot times and system responsiveness
    • much more compatibal with your hardware and software... Plus the annoying security prompts have been removed
    • runs great on only 256mb of ram
    • network settings have been made much easier

And you don't need 15Gb just to install it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Removing security prompts doesn't make it safer. I mean you can remove traffic lights if you like and see what happens. The security is still useless and It will never be rectified until a new kernel is developed which needs to be sooner rather than later as software companies will fall if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

alan4cult wrote:
    Removing security prompts doesn't make it safer. I mean you can remove traffic lights if you like and see what happens. The security is still useless and It will never be rectified until a new kernel is developed which needs to be sooner rather than later as software companies will fall if it happens.
    or just disable UAC

takes two seconds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

I hate Vista Also, Win XP wins hand down :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

alan4cult wrote:
    It will never be rectified until a new kernel is developed which needs to be sooner rather than later as software companies will fall if it happens.

The NT kernel is considered quite good among computer scientist.

All the crud on top of the kernel however...

• Advertisement

Vista still sucks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

tech wrote:
    Vista still sucks :)
    But it has nice eye-candy. Thats what's important, right? :confused:

Vista Still sucks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

tech wrote:
    Vista Still sucks ;)