Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranges near tipp? + license question

Options
  • 16-05-2007 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

2 questions for you. My dad is retired from the army and in his 50's - he has a rifle he's dieing to use but doesn't really have time to go anywhere , so i was thinking about taking up shooting so that if the two of us did it he'd be more comfortable about making it a regular thing.

We used to go rabbit shooting a lot locally up to about 5 years ago, but he sold his rifle to buy some high powered one he wanted and my understanding from hearing him talk is its too powerful to shoot rabbits with. So

1. Are there any decent shooting ranges or clubs around Tipperary (were around Thurles)

2. How do i go about getting a license for a rifle to go with him? Id like to get this as a surprise so i cant just ask him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I think the Midlands Range in Tullamore is the closest place to you

I don't know what the story is with a secondary license on a rifle but I'm sure your dad would have to sign something saying its ok for you to take out a license on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Thanks for the prompt reply i should have made it clearer.

I would buy my own rifle - what is the rough process for this? Buy the rifle then apply for a licence or do you get one when buying a rifle ?

_sheep wrote:
    Thanks for the prompt reply i should have made it clearer.

I would buy my own rifle - what is the rough process for this? Buy the rifle then apply for a licence or do you get one when buying a rifle ?

Ok firstly you need a reason to want the gun, generally in Ireland its hunting or target shooting. If its hunting then you will need to join the local gun club or get letters from landowners saying its ok for you to hunt on their land. If its target shooting you will probably have to join a range.

Generally you pick a rifle that suits your needs, caliber suitability, price, brand, features, etc etc

Next you go to a gun dealer who is selling that model. You put a deposit down or purchase the rifle in full and he will give you a letter saying you have purchased the rifle.

Go to the gardai with letter from gub dealer, gun club membership card or range membership card and maybe a letter from parents to say its ok to have gun in the house (if you live in their house) and you will have to fill out a form.

You may be asked to get a gun safe or other security measures and even a visit from a garda. Then hopefully in a few weeks you'll have the license

Clear as mud :D

EDIT: this whole process changes from district to district so it could be slightly different for you but its a good outline

Well the missus wont let me keep the gun at ours so looks like ill need to get the old lad involved to me a license :)

Thanks again for the help.

_sheep wrote:
    Well the missus wont let me keep the gun at ours

Even if it was stored in a safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

There is a range in Cashel, I've no details and no idea what type of rifle use they cater for there. Sorry, I'm not a shooter, I just saw a question about Tipp :)

I was driving through cashel last night so i asked a few people - they pointed me to a 'range' on the thurles side of the town... it was a golf driving range! hahah ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well I've practiced on the golf driving range so I know exactly where that is but I was pretty sure that there is a shooting range there too...unless I'm imagining things or it has closed...I hope it's the latter for my sake!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

There is a clay pigeon shooting club with a fairly large range just outside of Urlingford.

IIRC they are labelled as Thurles Shooting Club.

It has been a few years since I shot there, but it is on your left hand side when heading South, approximately 2 miles after you come out of Urlingford.

Check the I.C.P.S.A. website for contact details of this club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hi Guys,

There is no rifle range in/near cashel. Tullamore or Fermoy nearest rifle ranges

• Advertisement
Advertisement