Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city broadband coverage?

Options
  • 16-05-2007 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

Have returned from being abroad and have got a place in Dublin. Having signed the lease, I happened to ask the woman about getting broadband, as I will be working from home and she said that it was not available in the area.
    My place is just off Francis Street.

I don't know where to start going about getting broadband connected. There is a phone line in place but its not hooked up.
    If anyone can post links to the various service providers and some hints on options I would be very pleased.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gb321123

Right, did some investigating and Irish Broadband says that I can be connected to ripwave. This seems to be wireless broadband. My question is, does it work or is it potentially flakey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ripwave isn't quite broadband, in the ADSL, Breeze, cable or Metro sense, but it's cheap, can be 10 times faster than dialup (or slower), and is always on.

There is a "broadband" forum, maybe more appropriate for your question?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

vodaphone / o2 do 3G wireless pcmcia cards, coverage is wayyyyyy better than ripwave IIRC it's about €50 for the card and between €25 and €50 per month depending on what limit you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

3 will be coming out with a 3.6 Mbps broadband solution tomorrow, a little bird told me.

Pricing will be €130 for the USB modem and €20 monthly for a 3.6 Mbps* connection with a 10 GB cap, similar to entry level ADSL.

IMHO if you have good coverage, there is nothing wrong with Ripwave.

*You can expect real world speeds of much less than 3.6 Mbps in most circumstances, depending on congestion on your local cell. So while it may be fair to compare it to a solid 1 Mbps wireless connection or DSL, it wouldn't be fair to compare it with a 2 meg connection. Also, latency on this type of network is typically 100-200ms, which is at least twice what you would see on DSL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement