Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mc Dowell and Gormley engage in some street theatre

Options
  • 16-05-2007 5:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

I must say when the journalists went along to see the unveiling of McDowell up a pole with his poster they must have been disappointed but they must equally have been delighted to see that muppet from the Green Party show up and make a complete fool of himself. Tantrums are not going to win elections.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0516/election3.html

Anyone hear this on RTE radio just now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RalphCifaretto

One thing about McDowell, he's completely open about the fact that he is there to serve the interests of "middle Ireland". He makes absolutely no effort to hide his disdain for the working class, that's just part of the PD package. He is basically a softer, more effeminate Margaret Thatcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

"Criticising the alternative government coalition, Mr McDowell said: “A vote for the rainbow is a vote for a government in which left wing parties will be the driving force.”"

Ermmmm but this is a good thing?!!
    Everything John Gormley said was right!

He probably should have kept his mouth shut though really, McDowell aint worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

As journalists looked on, Mr McDowell dismissed the Green politician claiming he had lost it.

“No no, you’re the one who’s losing it,” Mr Gormley said, as the pair came face-to-face.

“Michael I’m sick and tired of this. It’s just smear and negativity. That’s all you can do. Where are your positive ideas? It’s bye-bye to the PDs. You are history.”

However, as Mr Gormley’s phone rang, Mr McDowell retorted: “It’s your friends calling to tell you not to make a fool of yourself.”

:D lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Its a wonder how that mans (McDowell) inability to shut his mouth, hasnt gotten him in serious trouble. Maybe its the pent up frustration of having to behave himself in the presence of the judiciary for all those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It looked brilliant, I would have loved to have seen it. Apparently Gormley brought some supporters with him, so it looked like two gangs facing off at one point:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

McDowell actually said on the radio that he had succeeded in getting Liz O' Donnell up the pole!

Fair play to you Michael.

RTE are putting the clip on there election website here where says Video Highlights. Should be up shortly - so you can judge for yourselves:

http://www.rte.ie/news/elections2007/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RalphCifaretto

dixiefly wrote:
    McDowell actually said on the radio that he had succeeded in getting Liz O' Donnell up the pole!

Fair play to you Michael.

Heard that, absolute quality:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I had to laugh at the medias idiocy - the Battle of Ranalagh, Rumble in Ranalgh etc, are there no issues to discusss?

Mike.

Its on the PD website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Its on the PD website.
    They're just linking the RTE version.

zabbo wrote:
    They're just linking the RTE version.
    Ah, I wasn't able to see it on the RTE website.

Actually RTE have not got the full video on their website yet. This is the full one:

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/230-2248710.smil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

“You say that we’re going to raise corporation tax. That it is a lie. Withdraw that,” shouted Mr Gormley. “I’m not taking any nonsense from you any more.”

As journalists looked on, Mr McDowell dismissed the Green politician claiming he had lost it.

“No no, you’re the one who’s losing it,” Mr Gormley said, as the pair came face-to-face.

“Michael I’m sick and tired of this. It’s just smear and negativity. That’s all you can do. Where are your positive ideas? It’s bye-bye to the PDs. You are history.”

Little children!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

And finally a bit of robust debate and a head to head and it takes it being on the street......

Fair play to Gormley to getting stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Guards should have arrested them for disturbing the peace. :D

Tbh, I thought it looked fairly crap on the news, but it saved them sending cameras elsewhere to actually hunt some news down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I'm not a big fan of John Gormley, but he was completely right. McDowell has been constantly perpetuating this myth throughout the campaign that the Greens want to increase the rate of corporation tax, despite the fact that he's been corrected on it several times. It's a cheap scare tactic to stop people from voting for the Greens. I wasn't crazy about the way Gormley was shouting to get his point across, but it was amusing to watch McDowell struggle to answer his questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Anyone got a linkeh for a DL?
    My streaming quality is terrible atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Publicity stunt gone very wrong for the PD's.

McDowell needs to start promoting the PD's to the middle class instead of attacking the left-wing vote. It's not like he's going to win votes from any Green Party supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Anyone got a linkeh for a DL?
    My streaming quality is terrible atm.
    Here ya go - http://youtube.com/watch?v=GZQk3HXWxGs

Apologies for the RTE guys messing with the stream while I was recording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

I think you underestimate the amount of people in the middle classes feeling collective guilt over the environment etc. McDowell is trying to appeal to their selfish instincts. I think it's a decent strategy.

Perhaps, but its a terrible long term strategy. The Greens are entirely correct - in order to perpetuate a healthy economy into the future, now is the time to start adopting some green proposals. It may shockingly involve some hard decisions for us all.

Imagine that! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

zabbo wrote:

lol for all of the parts where he is making his statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

John Gormely = Legend :D

Seeing McDowell's pathetic and condescending publicity stunt blow up in face put such a smile on my face today :)

Laika wrote:
    McDowell has been constantly perpetuating this myth throughout the campaign that the Greens want to increase the rate of corporation tax
    It's not a myth at all. They are committed to introducing new, punitive taxes on businesses, including a €200,000,000 levy per year on the banking centre, which is, in effect, raising corporation taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

zabbo wrote:

why did they mess with the stream just as you were recording Liz's ass climbing the pole :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

It's not a myth at all. They are committed to introducing new, punitive taxes on businesses, including a €200,000,000 levy per year on the banking centre, which is, in effect, raising corporation taxes.

they seek to reintroduce a bank levy capped at €200m a year for a 5 year period. Remember that the two largest banks make approx €3bn a year.

The use of the term corporation tax makes people think they want to tax foreign MNCs who want to come here, which is not what they are trying to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That was hilarious, Gormley made a tool of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

daveirl wrote:

Lots of respect for Gormley after that :D but I won't be voting GP unless they commit to the rainbow.

Advertisement