Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement Door

Options
  • 16-05-2007 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,
    The dirvers door has been damaged on my 00 Mits Colt.
    What is best (cheapest) option to getting this sorted, repairs or a replacement door.
    Someone reversed into the door leaving a sizeable dent and bent the top of the door frame. I can close the door fullly.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You'll need a new door. The strengthening behind the door is likely to be bent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

colm_mcm wrote:
    You'll need a new door. The strengthening behind the door is likely to be bent too.

not necessarily. But getting a new door will be cheaper in the long run. Yoy can pick one up for very little money from a scrap yard, fit it yourself and get it professionly sprayed.

estimate:

Door: 50 euro
    Fitting: free
    Respray: 100 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Glanza V wrote:
    not necessarily. But getting a new door will be cheaper in the long run. Yoy can pick one up for very little money from a scrap yard, fit it yourself and get it professionly sprayed.

estimate:

Door: 50 euro
    Fitting: free
    Respray: 100 euro

LOL!!:D :D:D:D

Have you done this before yourself?

/gets popcorn

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Check with a panel beater first to see if it is defintely fcuked.

Had to replace a door lately. €110 from scrapyard. Got it the same colour aswell. Just make sure that they take it off correctly instead of cutting it off the scrapped car. Mine needed to have new hinges welded onto it. Also you may need to swap over from a windy window to electric or vice versa.

FItting a door isnt as straight-forward as it seems either, don't scrimp on the spraying either or it will annoy you everytime you look at the door.

Worked out costing me about €210 all in all. Opel wanted approx. €500 for new door with no glass or electrics.

Volvoboy wrote:
    LOL!!:D :D:D:D

Have you done this before yourself?

/gets popcorn

-VB-
    simple answer.....yes

• Advertisement

Prices quoted seem awfully low....

colm_mcm wrote:
    Prices quoted seem awfully low....

i can do it so for 500 if it makes you happy :D Seriously though, why would you spend more than that. you are simply removing 4 screws (depending on car) and getting a relativly small piece of metal painted. Then you just screw it back on. As they say "its not rocket science"

In saying that though, it depends type of car etc. If i know the model i can give a better estimate.

I'd want it done properly if someone hit me, I'd want the side of the car blown in properly.

On what car Glanza V?

When a car gets hit it effects the alignement of the doors and gaps, there have been times where i have to use angle-grinders and sledge hammers to get the car fitting right, Opels, Fords have pins instead of bolts, also if the car is getting profesionally painted the wing and 1/4 panel would have to be blown in, as you never go edge to edge when painting just one panel.

Also, you'll have to change barrels around, honda's are a nightmare to change.

-VB-

Volvoboy wrote:
    On what car Glanza V?

When a car gets hit it effects the alignement of the doors and gaps, there have been times where i have to use angle-grinders and sledge hammers to get the car fitting right, Opels, Fords have pins instead of bolts, also if the car is getting profesionally painted the wing and 1/4 panel would have to be blown in, as you never go edge to edge when painting just one panel.

Also, you'll have to change barrels around, honda's are a nightmare to change.

-VB-

On my friends audi A4. I understand about matching colours but it was a newish car at the time and paint was grand. Also i got the door for 50 euro of the same shape car but the car was older. Changing the lock was a 10 minute job.

but you are right. It depends on the car and the extend of the damage. ASccording to the op, the car was damaged by someone trying to break into it, so obviously there is no other damage to any other part of the car (if fact are correct)

• Advertisement

Fair play Glanza V.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Hi,
    The dirvers door has been damaged on my 00 Mits Colt.
    What is best (cheapest) option to getting this sorted, repairs or a replacement door.
    Someone reversed into the door leaving a sizeable dent and bent the top of the door frame. I can close the door fullly.
    but you are right. It depends on the car and the extend of the damage. ASccording to the op, the car was damaged by someone trying to break into it, so obviously there is no other damage to any other part of the car (if fact are correct)

..........were they using their car to try to break into it ??? :D

I would take the above costs witha grain of salt. Nobody gets a decent job done at those figures, not a decent used part either.

In the bodywork game you get what you pay for. Nobody will spend a day lining up a door, masking, flatting off, priming, painting, laquering, buffing, changing locks and trim.......................and charge you €100 for it !

At VolvoBoy.................correct me if I am wrong but doesn't metallic paint cost in the region of €40/50 / litres. Then there are other materials too !

I cant see any paintwork, from a small dent and chip upwards costing under €350.

MercMad wrote:

At VolvoBoy.................correct me if I am wrong but doesn't metallic paint cost in the region of €40/50 / litres. Then there are other materials too !

See, it's getting impossible to do nixers, with water base coming in it phucking up the ''Freds in The Sheds'', as it takes alot longer to dry rather than 2k paints, and yes it is the area of €40 - 60, for a 1/4 litre of 2k, nobody is charging the prices that Glanza V is talking about, if they did there must be a bodyshop in St Itas.:p

-VB-

Advertisement