Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Repeats

Options
  • 16-05-2007 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Does anyone know the dit policy on exam repeats? I heard someone say they were first week in september. Is there any limit on the amount of papers you can repeat and does it cost anything? I'm a first year comp. science student and already have to repeat one from xmas and the way things are going i have a feeling ill need to repeat a couple of summer ones.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

the was it works is dit will tell you about 5mins before the repeats start when u have to do them so if your away for the summer ur plans are ruined.

as a general rule there the first week of sept. they do cost money but not as much as the repeat year as i found out!! any way find out before summer exams finish because once the exams office closes u will have no hope of finding out.

if you fail the autumn repeat u will have to repeat the subject for the year unless you ask nicely and maybe you will be able to cary that subject with you into the next year which means doing the exam for 1st year with ur second year ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

hmm, ok, thanks for that. so theres no limit on the amount of exams you can repeat, no? And would you have any idea on average how much a repeat would cost per paper? i cant imagine its anywhere near the 2 grand or so cost of repeating the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

As far as I know you can repeat the whole lot if you need to, but if you fail them in September you'll have to either pay to repeat 1st year or take the year out and try the exams again next May. If you only fail one subject in September you've some chance of carrying it into 2nd Year but any more than that I don't think you can do.

I'm not sure but I think the repeats were about €40 per paper? Maybe a little more?

The Exams Office is open all summer but the repeats are usually the first week in September when the lecturers are back from holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

You have 4 chances to do each exam ie summer, autumn - summer and autumn the following year. You do not have to pay per exam that you have to repeat. you just pay a once off 50 euro (i think). If you check out your course document in the library it should give details of how many opportunities you have to pass an exam. Id give it a look because it may well vary from course to course. Any year I have done them they are in the first week in september. The exam office should be able to confirm this with you if you need a general time. This timetable is already done, believe me!!!

Anyway, listen try not to worry about them. We all have to repeat some from time to time. Its part of the deal!!

Good luck with the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

oh god, i have a holiday booked for the 26th Aug to 9th Sep. I'm screwed so.

I have a repeat to do from christmas [which the *astard failed me by 1% and refused me compensation....:mad: :mad: :mad: ] and from the way the exams are going at the moment i may have an exam or two to repeat. Will they give a provisional timetable now so at least i can try make arrangements with the travel company!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Just about everyone will tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Theres no charge for repeats at all, unless you miss the deadline for applying for them. And even at that, i missed the deadline by about a week there last year. I had the 50 euro with me but he didn't ask for it! You only pay if your carrying a certain number subjects over into the next year, ive never done that so not sure how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Repeats are 50 euro - flat rate doesnt matter how many you fail

First week in september, you wont get told oficially till a few days before. Go talk to your department head, this is also the person you will have to beg if you fail it again in autumn as they may let you take it through to next year.

The best part is though that college starts before the repeat exam results are finished - so you may be going to your next years lectures not being sure whether you've actually made it into the class or not... fun!! =)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

its 60 euro and always has been

Tails142 wrote:
    Repeats are 50 euro - flat rate doesnt matter how many you fail

First week in september, you wont get told oficially till a few days before. Go talk to your department head, this is also the person you will have to beg if you fail it again in autumn as they may let you take it through to next year.

The best part is though that college starts before the repeat exam results are finished - so you may be going to your next years lectures not being sure whether you've actually made it into the class or not... fun!! =)

I repeated three last august/september and didn't pay a penny. Someones having a good laugh at you there mate! Btw i like the way you brag about internet anonymity in one thread and then say which course and year your in in a different one! Real clever

• Advertisement

Lets just settle this right now....

Exam repeats are set for 27th of August to 7th of September inclusive. Fee is €55

There you go. Official

Gazza22 wrote:

Exam repeats are set for 27th of August to 7th of September inclusive. Fee is €55

There you go. Official

Would you be able to say where you got that info, not saying i dont believe you, i would just like to know who you heard it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Gazza22 wrote:

There you go. Official

Not true on the dates - its different dates in different faculties so you would need to check with your particular exams office.

Can't comment on the fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

I just rang the Kevin St exams office there. She didn't ask what course I was in so I presume it'll be the same for everyone. They start on Wednesday 29th August and run for approx. 2 weeks. That would make sense as last year they started on the 30th August, also a Wednesday.

strychnine wrote:
    Would you be able to say where you got that info, not saying i dont believe you, i would just like to know who you heard it from.

Exams office, i got the details from them because i had to make changes to a holiday i booked.
    BC wrote:
    its different dates in different faculties so you would need to check with your particular exams office.

That sounds right. Well i'm from Cathal Brugha St, so anybody from there the dates and fee i mentioned above are definitely applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I paid 50 yo yo's for my repeats last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

Gazza22 wrote:
    oh god, i have a holiday booked for the 26th Aug to 9th Sep. I'm screwed so.

I have a repeat to do from christmas [which the *astard failed me by 1% and refused me compensation....:mad: :mad: :mad: ] and from the way the exams are going at the moment i may have an exam or two to repeat. Will they give a provisional timetable now so at least i can try make arrangements with the travel company!

provisional timetable, dit, good one that made me laugh. dit = do it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

What if you actually ddin't show up for the exam can you still repeat it in Autumn?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

aidan24326 wrote:
    What if you actually ddin't show up for the exam can you still repeat it in Autumn?
    Yeah you can repeat it,
    but you will only be able to get a pass mark. irrelevant unless its your final year, or you you need a certain exam mark to pass a subject element

Mellor wrote:
    Yeah you can repeat it,
    but you will only be able to get a pass mark. irrelevant unless its your final year, or you you need a certain exam mark to pass a subject element

will they ask for a doctor's note?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

No they don't.

Although if you can get a doctors cert to cover you for the exam you missed, then you will be able to do the exam in august as a first sitting.

And thus have all the entitlements as the people who already sat the exam e.g Another extra chance to repeat, chance to obtain full marks achieved etc

would i need to contact the exams office?

aidan24326 wrote:
    would i need to contact the exams office?

If you have no doctors cert, you need to contact them, you should really have the day the said exam was on. In their and the exam boards eyes now, it will look as if you just wern't bothered on coming in, which could look unfavourably on you if you need say, compensation, on another subject.

If you do have a doctors cert, go to the exams office itself, you need to fill out a personal circumstances form and attach your med cert, then you are completely covered!

Advertisement