Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stay or should I go?

Options
  • 16-05-2007 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

I got 41% in my mocks in Higher English. I know no quotes and know just a small bit more than the outlines of the comparative texts. I can't write long essays...My teacher wants me to drop to ordinary - should I?

Should I drop? 9 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I got 41% in my mocks in Higher English. I know no quotes and know just a small bit more than the outlines of the comparative texts. I can't write long essays...My teacher wants me to drop to ordinary - should I?

Well you make it sound as if you should. If you can't write long essays then maybe honours level isn't for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Well a teacher will usually be the one who knows your standard best. If you trust their judgement then drop I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

If your teacher thinks it, and you can't write long essays, AND you don't feel confident enough to do it, I say drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I got a C1 in my mocks and I don't know any quotes and my knowledge of the compartives was (still is) fairly rough. Obviously paper 2 brought me down

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

"If I go there will be trouble, if I stay it will be double"

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

On topic, quantify the problem and choose the most logical solution. Ask yourself -
    Do I need it for the points?
    Do I need it as a course requirement?
    What chance is there that I will fail?
    What amount of work can I do in it at this stage?
    Will working hard at it detract from my other subjects?

Answer those question honestly and I think you'll find your answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

There's no point risking the whole leaving over pride. If you don't feel confident enough to do the higher paper, then don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Maybe your mocks were just harshly/badly marked.My English mocks were marked TERRIBLY!I only got 18 out of 100 marks for the Macbeth question!And I wrote 2 moderately decent pages on Kingship.Now i'm not saying its great or anything, but it was at LEAST worth 45+ marks.I mean thats still only barely a pass in the question.But if you're really worried then perhaps you should drop to pass.If you're a D3 student in honours you're probably a B2 student in pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

cson wrote:
    "If I go there will be trouble, if I stay it will be double"

Damn you, I came in to post that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Stay and do some study. Prepare an essay roughly in advance if you can. learn certain quotes. not alot....maybe 1 form every poem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Maybe your mocks were just harshly/badly marked.My English mocks were marked TERRIBLY!I only got 18 out of 100 marks for the Macbeth question!And I wrote 2 moderately decent pages on Kingship.

mark, Macbeth Q is worth 60 marks, not 100.

many English pres are terribly marked, then again if the (correcting) teacher (assuming it was a teacher) really thought you were incapable then s/he might have failed you... it is POSSIBLE s/he saw some potential in your work but also saw that you'd none of the work done and marked you with a little more malice than usual...

Did the teacher/class think they were marked easily or hard...ly? :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement